• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA gun storage

nstassel

NES Member
I'm not sure why but there has been a big uptick lately in people getting into trouble for improper storage. Examples lately:
-People returning rental cars with guns in them.
-People leaving guns in cars they give to valets to park.
-People leaving guns in lockers without locks.
-People leaving guns in multiple cars and not sure where they are.

Tighten it up folks. You're looking at potential loss of LTC and possible criminal charges which aren't always easy to fix-or cheap. So save the money in legal fees and buy that pre-ban you've been considering. Get in the habit of putting your gun in a locked box, bag or safe 100 percent of the time if it's not on your body.

686qnu.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajxyLZcM2ps

With all the uncertainty in the world today, local and abroad, I think that more people are carrying and want a gun around when they are out and about.

A great reminder for sure and anyone who carries should have lockable storage in every vehicle they drive for those times when a weapon needs to be placed in storage.

Bob

I'll keep my friggin guns wherever I want to. Jack.

I agree with this Jack but you're also a smart guy.

The guys @nstassel are talking about are of the "new owner, not very bright" types. These are the people that jerk off about nuanced AWB garbage scared of their own shadow, but yet are "shocked" when the Polezei are at their house because a kid broke into their car and stole the loose handgun under the seat and shot some other thug with it and dropped it. Or left it on a toilet tank in a public place etc. Or the morons that go to the school play and because they're tard-carrying a seecamp in a poor pocket their butter rolls coax it out of their pocket and it gets lodged in the theater seat in the school etc. shit like that. [rofl]

I've always warned people that the #1 thing people get clapped for in this state is "safe storage" BS. Its too easy to prosecute and is very low hanging fruit in this shithole of a
state.

Valet keys, FTW?
I have a small safe bolted to the floor of my pickup but I still never, ever use a valet. To me it's no different than giving your house keys to your landscaper while you're not there. I'd rather walk a few hundred feet than let some stranger rummage around in my vehicle.

I have a small safe bolted to the floor of my pickup but I still never, ever use a valet. To me it's no different than giving your house keys to your landscaper while you're not there.
I still remember how the '68 Galaxie 500 came with two differently-shaped keys.
And we were the most non-valet family around. From a Nov'20 PM:
My father had a special textile that he draped over the fender
when he was working on his Ford's engine, so that he wouldn't
accidentally harm the finish. It was a clapped-out bathmat
I recognized from my infancy - some luxuriously thick ugly thing
woven in patterns of tan and magenta.

Even the Batmobile got this treatment.
  1. Batmobile post #1
  2. Batmobile post #2 (*)
(*) Scroll down the thread for Moar Batmobile #2,
including a Google Maps link to the service station.

He wouldn't let you lean on a car, on the off chance you had a single
grain of dirt on your clothing and scratched the finish.
Not rivets on a pair of Levi's -
this was decades before jeans became a fashion statement -
just a speck of dust. I still cringe when I see people leaning on cars,
especially on TV/movies, even if I do it myself.
My father was not letting some high-schooler park his car.

OTOH, I get the sense that a lot of the more nervous elements on NES
don't appreciate that sedans and coupes with fold-down rear-seats
for trunk access have become more secure in recent times.

Even my 2dr. 2013 CIvic Si has this:
  1. The latches to allow the rear seats to fold down to expose the cargo hole in the bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger compartment are located in the trunk. So even if you break in to the passenger compartment, you can't pull the seats down to rummage around in the trunk.
    • -and-
  2. The floor latch to pop the trunk open has a key lock on it. So even if you break in to the passenger compartment, you can't pop the trunk if that's locked.
No longer does a mere brick serve as the keys to a car's trunk.

I'd rather walk a few hundred feet than let some stranger rummage around in my vehicle.
Ya know, I bet YoutUbe has some epic 360° dashcam footage
of valets pilfering stuff from cars...

...Valets? Try service department guys...

Lexus me harder.

Free gun safes - OK. But why can’t I stop thinking recipients will be on camera and plate scanners will be used by ATF? I’ve lost any trust anti-gunners really are not just out to get me.

i can't see a real firearms "enthusiast" doing any of the mentioned slip ups. just letting a gun slip your mind. i'm no better than anyone else, and i'm old, but i remember i may have a gun about and where it is at a given time. it's not a mentalist skill. it also reminds me of the person who forgets to renew their ltc. if you own firearms and carry, you need to etch the expiration date into something you look at often to remind you. this shit is immature and childish. and in the current anti gun climate, totally unacceptable. and as the saying goes...its how accidents happen.

I like to keep mine loaded lying around on the kitchen table when one of those police wellness checks happens so I can show off the gun collection to the cops. When pressed I simply mumble like Joe Biden, works every time.

I just reviewed a manuscript submitted for publication to a highly-ranked medical journal on the topic of firearms storage. It’s funded by DOD and didn’t have that gunz-is-bad tone to it, given DOD’s major issue is active/reserve/discharged/retired military suicides. Telling soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen and guardsmen guns are bad would not be productive.

They reviewed 25yr of surveys on gun storage practices wrt preference for barrel cable locks, trigger locks, manual safes and biometric safes. Observing that more gun owners possess guns for self-defense than hunting nowadays, they conclude that ready access is a desirable factor among many owners. Most still don’t trust biometric safes. The authors propose that free ready-access gun safes (smaller lock boxes) or discount coupons for them be offered to new and existing gun owners as a way to promote safe storage. Nothing is “free” but tax dollars spent on the usual “gun violence prevention” is both unproductive and intends to infringe on civil rights too.

Free gun lockboxes sure beats money wasted on gun buybacks. If they had “take one” coupons for ready-access lockboxes at medical clinics, no questions asked, they’d be far ahead versus intrusive questioning.

The paper won’t get published in this journal, unfortunately, despite my positive review - they demand antigun papers. But it will get published elsewhere, eventually.

They reviewed 25yr of surveys on gun storage practices wrt preference for barrel cable locks, trigger locks, manual safes and biometric safes. Observing that more gun owners possess guns for self-defense than hunting nowadays, they conclude that ready access is a desirable factor among many owners.
Maura and Andrea are not going to like that! o_O

I'm not sure why but there has been a big uptick lately in people getting into trouble for improper storage. Examples lately:
-People returning rental cars with guns in them.
-People leaving guns in cars they give to valets to park.
-People leaving guns in lockers without locks.
-People leaving guns in multiple cars and not sure where they are.

Tighten it up folks. You're looking at potential loss of LTC and possible criminal charges which aren't always easy to fix-or cheap. So save the money in legal fees and buy that pre-ban you've been considering. Get in the habit of putting your gun in a locked box, bag or safe 100 percent of the time if it's not on your body.

View attachment 588362

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajxyLZcM2ps

And if you gun is stolen do not report a stolen gun as the primary item. Report a stolen trigger lock or locked gun case and include the fact that a gun was secured with/in it in the report 😋

Seriously - if you report a stolen gun be sure to do whatever you can go get mention of its locked status in the report.

Back
Top Bottom