PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

The goal is not to "teach a lesson" to the seller. The goal is to warn other buyers and let them make a better-informed choice...
Yep.

Rep is not a punishment. Its a warning to others or public praise.

We cant punish people. That's the job of Derek. Outside of his power all we can do is look out for each other.

@Ryan188 well said… there are lots of guys I’ve bought from and sold to over the years and still keep in touch with lots of them.

I’ve been burned on a few deals over the years, but I know to stay away from those guys now, so what I may have over paid on those deals taught me a lesson in return.

While I may sh*t post sometimes because it fun to flame someone, Its often still it’s with respect and in camaraderie, because it is a community.

Hopefully the seller learns that lesson from reading this thread.
Good education always cost

While I personally would have kept the agreed upon deal as the seller, I would never fault someone who takes an offer that was closer to asking price. Its not like he cancelled on you while you were on your way driving to meet him. He didn't inconvenience you.

This situation happened to me before, I just accepted it and moved on. The fact that you made a thread about it is sad. Neg rep and move on if it makes you happy.

I'm not saying I'd be friends with the guy, nor would I attempt to do business with him again. I'm just saying I wouldn't cry about it to the NES brain trust.

Let's keep it in perspective here - the buyer was not harmed in any way, other than getting his feelings hurt. Neg rep (if you feel it necessary) and move on.

It's not about who you think was harmed, it's about right & wrong and the seller was dead wrong. Also, a price/date/time was set; what if the buyer asked for time off work, or arranged coverage for his kid, or went to the bank to get cash that he now doesn't need? What if this transaction was the catalyst for him selling or buying something else which now he doesn't need (holster, accessories, etc.)?

The fact that you would never fault someone for taking a better deal after having accepted an offer and setting a time says a lot about you.

Im not questioning the OP, but as usual we are hearing 1 side of every story so I draw zero conclusions. Further a dropped deal for the buyer is not a big deal. Whatever move on. It’s far more annoying for the seller.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I sent the seller this thread after I posted it and then I linked to this thread again in the feedback I left them so future potential buyers can get better context. Additionally, someone sent me a PM because they figured out who it was because of a personal relationship.

My point is, I’m 99.9% certain the seller is aware of this thread and it appears they have made the choice not to post from their perspective. Interpret that as you wish…

Last edited:
For those strongly advocating giving neg feedback in general, have you given anyone a neg feedback on a deal here? I barely see any. I know most on NES are stand up people, but ratings are like 99.999% positive. Even better rating than Kim Jung Un gets in NK.

For those strongly advocating giving neg feedback in general, have you given anyone a neg feedback on a deal here? I barely see any. I know most on NES are stand up people, but ratings are like 99.999% positive. Even better rating than Kim Jung Un gets in NK.

That's a no from me, and the reason is because I've literally never had a major problem in a transaction here. I'm not sure whether I'm lucky, or what, but that's the truth.

The goal is not to "teach a lesson" to the seller. The goal is to warn other buyers and let them make a better-informed choice...

in principle is true. however the person dropping a negative feedback is no more “objective” than the one receiving it.

unlike the negative feedback, the positive feedbacks i do consider a helpful indicator. however ive also met some weirdos who had positive feedback so theres that.

Last edited:
in principle is true. however the person dropping a negative feedback is no more “objective” than the one receiving it.

There's some truth there. To be honest, the times I've been considering dealing with someone with negs, I've dug into the people who submitted the feedback as carefully as I've dug into the person I was thinking of doing the deal with. It really doesn't take very long, either.

In the end, caveat emptor. It's all information that helps a buyer or seller make that call. Usually, a frivolous or penny-ante neg will be pretty obvious. And you can always ask the other guy about it, if in doubt.

Ooooof.

That’d chap my ass. Instantaneous neg rep. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Just thinking about that pisses me off.
No f***ing kidding. I'm a very calm person, but somebody who has every intention to tire kick after agreeing to the price based on what they saw and assuming it's representative of what's advertised? I'm right in the same boat. Especially considering I'm fairly flexible in my travels when I've bought things. I don't care if I drove 2 hours. You play that game with me and I'll get right back in my car. Drive right back home and go back about my days.
I did exactly that, and got negative feedback in return.... Yeah, ok.
Shouldn't have stood me up babe. 😘

Id give the negative feedback, and explain why in the post......
we are seeing a new generation of less honorable people........

Count me here.

I guess it's a cultural thing. When this was all by phone 30 years ago, people didn't want to call you back and tell you they backed out. Now, with internet, they just send you a "hey, this guy offered more. Sorry."

I've met all kinds dealing here. Only a few people were a bit squinchy.

One concern about giving legitimate negative feedback to anyone is that they will retaliate by hitting you with an unjustified completely made up negative feedback reason and I am unaware of any NES procedure to prevent or remove this type of "tit for tat" retaliation.
Fixed it for you. [thinking]

Well, he could've given you a different excuse like I decided to keep it or I can't meet you right now or another lame reason. I find him shockingly "honest " that he told you he had a better offer with someone closer. Leaving feedback isn't going to solve it.

One concern about giving legitimate negative feedback to anyone is that they can retaliate by hitting you with an unjustified completely made up negative feedback reason and I am unaware of any NES procedure to prevent or remove this type of "tit for tat" retaliation.
But the problem with a&&holes giving retaliatory negs is we're not all the idiots they think we are, nor are they as smart as they think they are. If I'm going to buy something from somebody and bother to meet up with him somewhere to do it, I'm always going to take the time to see what's up, and I guarantee you I won't miss, or forgive, retaliatory neg reps given. You'll never sell me anything if you do that. Conversely, if somebody receives what looks like mere retaliatory feedback, I'll just ignore it, or even consider it a badge of honor. Obviously if I see that somebody gives tons of negative feedback, then I'll know what they're all about, too. It's not that hard. At least I don't think it is.

Well, he could've given you a different excuse like I decided to keep it or I can't meet you right now or another lame reason. I find him shockingly "honest " that he told you he had a better offer with someone closer. Leaving feedback isn't going to solve it.
For the umpteenth time: you’re not leaving feedback to “solve” a shitty seller’s shortcomings. You’re leaving it so future buyers can know what they might be facing.

Always be a man/woman of your word. They can take everything else from you but that.
Dick move. Meg rep is justified
d8ziats-975e3ebf-bfc7-4951-8ec7-f76b204c5bf0.jpg

One concern about giving legitimate negative feedback to anyone is that they can retaliate by hitting you with an unjustified completely made up negative feedback reason and I am unaware of any NES procedure to prevent or remove this type of "tit for tat" retaliation.

If you think its actually that bad you can PM "Admin" and ask for it to be removed if you think its bogus. Honestly this doesnt happen that often because most people know if they
go FR they going to get plonked anyways. Frankly not enough people use the system as intended regardless.

Also most of the time the shitheads likely to do this arent going to have high feedback #s, so when a person checks that out theyre going to go "oh that was left by a 10 post toothless wonder".

Goose rules apply? IBTL

Meh, not even. The Goose rules WTS posts are ones I skip over.

Goose Rules - usually applies for seller POV.
Yep. The seller invoking the "Goose Rules" here (to seek out the perfect obedient, submissive buyer) wouldn't have helped a hoot. I guess we need some "Reverse Goose Rules" aimed at looking out for rights and interests of potential buyers. 🤔

I think I see what the buyer's objet de désir was and I can see where he'd be pretty pissed. Those things don't grow on trees and I'll bet he was getting a relative bargain for someone else to have come along late and out-bid him before the sale could be consummated.

I still think that negative feedback should be reserved for the most egregious offenses... (e.g. outright theft, major screwing, fraud, etc.) not just a potential deal that didn't happen. Yes, it can be maddening, but it's usually not the end of the world.

If I started a thread and gave out negative feedback for every potential deal that didn't come to fruition the way I wanted it, I'd be the forum laughingstock. 🤪

I still think that negative feedback should be reserved for the most egregious offenses... (e.g. outright theft, major screwing, fraud, etc.) not just a potential deal that didn't happen. Yes, it can be maddening, but it's usually not the end of the world.

Why would a person who commits the most egregious offenses not be banned outright? How is it even meaningful if you can only get it when you can't even stick around?

As for "Goose Rules", I don't remember what they all are, but I do remember one thing that I agree with. If want to buy something at the asking price or make an offer at another price, say "I will buy it." or "I will buy it for $." It's extremely common to get people who respond with words like "I'm interested" when they actually do want to buy it or enter into a negotiation for it. Face to face, it's not much of a problem to start off that way, which is why people do it, but via messaging, it's just dumb. If you stop and think about it first, the only response you ought to expect to "I'm interested." is "Thanks for sharing."

Back
Top Bottom