• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PTR 91 - good to go?

Hi guys, I'm interested in buying a PTR91, I have heard good things about them but I'd like to get some input. Are these are solid "go to war" rifles? Ik the g3 is obviously but not too sure about these clones. I don't really want or have a 'collection' of guns just to have, I want firearms that are all ready to go and "SHTF - ready." These are made off of old HK tooling? How do these hold up to high round count, long term use and abuse? Are they accurate at longer range like 500+ yds ish?

Thanks

Last edited:
9-Hole review did a review of the platform somewhat recently and he took it to 500 yards. I have a PTR-91 and there is a break in period for it, roughly 200 rounds. So far mine has eaten everything I’ve put through it without issues. PPU, Wolf, Tulamo, Winchester White box. The magazines are still cheap too.

Had one and loved it. As said above there is a break in period. I also found mine liked to be wet, so dont be shy with oil.

I know a few people who have them but dont put enough rounds through them to warrant any hard use reviews.
Another friend had to send his back several times. They finally replaced the rifle. He eventually sold it and hunted down a HK and emptied his wallet.

The design is inherently good for SHTF because the priority was on reliabilty: it'll chamber, shoot, and extract nearly any kind of ammo you're ever likely to find. It's a rugged and hard-wearing rifle. As long as you get a decently-made example, whether it's a PTR-91 or a C308 or whatever, the rifle will certainly function well.

I used to own one and never took it out past 200 meters, at which it shot just fine (as you'd expect from a service weapon). I'd have had no qualms using it in SHTF, except that there was no way I was ever going to get used to using that whackdoodle charging handle smoothly. Not when there were much more ergonomically-friendly choices available in my safe. So that's eventually why I got rid of it.

My Ptr91 Gi is a well built rifle likes to run wet. It’s accurate at 200 yards can’t speak personally on anything further. Cheap mags is just another bonus. I recommend following the break in period.

Thanks guys. I am trying to figure out what a good rifle platform is to get into. 5.56 is too expensive to practice with for what it is and my thought is I'll shoot 308 for a similar price. I just want to start off with one jack of all trades gun and I am not sure whether to go with a Pre-Ban AK47 or a PTR 91 type.

For a first rifle, I would go with the AK, Lighter, cheaper to shoot, will hold up to just about anything, you will give up a bit on long range accuracy, but that is why it is only the first rifle, different tools for different jobs

Coworker has one, already went back for warranty work. Think it was around 400ish rounds. Could be wrong. Got it back and it’s been flawless, he said.
I’ll see if he can give me an idea what happened.

Thanks guys. I am trying to figure out what a good rifle platform is to get into. 5.56 is too expensive to practice with for what it is and my thought is I'll shoot 308 for a similar price. I just want to start off with one jack of all trades gun and I am not sure whether to go with a Pre-Ban AK47 or a PTR 91 type.
Shoot steel case 223. Or something chambered in 7.62x39

I see the PTR and AK-47 as having a cool factor to them that the AR-15 does not. What's the deal with AK-47s here being so dang expensive compared to all the other guns?
Its NES. Buy a gun, shoot it a couple of times, put in safe for two years and then list for sale at 150% of retail. Bump vigorously until withdrawn.

I see the PTR and AK-47 as having a cool factor to them that the AR-15 does not. What's the deal with AK-47s here being so dang expensive compared to all the other guns?
Well you see when the federal AWB banned AKs it banned “Mitchell, Norinco, and Polytech Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) all models”. But when that section was copied into state law at MGL Chapter 140 Section 121 it was edited to “Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) all models”. Which means that a whole lot more AKs are banned in Massachusetts than they ever were in the 1994-2004 federal ban.

I have no idea how this edit happened but I have to assume someone on beacon hill noticed that those 3 companies had stopped importing guns by 1998.

As for the original question, find a rifle that is flexible if you want it to do it all. If you are only getting one rifle I would get an AR, they’re the most popular for a reason and have way more aftermarket support than something like the PTR91. Second-best is an AK. Your requirements are conflicting, you want cheap ammo and also 500+ yard performance- you’ll need two rifles to get both. If you’re in the eastern Mass region I doubt you will ever see a 500+ yard shot in any situation even SHTF, except for the one range in Reading. ARs and AKs have acceptable performance out past 200 yards. If you wanted you could even have two different AR uppers, one for training/close-up and another more accurate for longer distances, maybe even in a different caliber. Or get a 22lr conversion kit for the AR. 5.56 won’t be 70 cents per round forever, either.

I agree on the cool factor and in fact when I only had one rifle, the AK did everything I needed. I stayed under 200 yards. But I’ve come to accept that the AR is simply a more practical platform for your only rifle in 2020s America. My real advice is to get something that excites you, and when you find its limitations buy another rifle to fill the gaps. Life is too short to shoot guns you find boring.

Have a chance to pick up a C308 with the older wood furniture on it, I know the guy selling it to me so I trust when he says it runs fine ( going to the range first this weekend to test it ), what is a base line for a decent C308 cost wise and should I just spend the extra on PTR91.
I like the C308 cause of the rail welded on but don't like the mag release. His is only a few years old and I am seeing the trigger groups can swap, is that worth the swap. But the early model guns where not very god as far as durability, how do the later versions run?

Just looking for a hard hitting 308 platform with cheap ( ish ) mags, would like it to be accurate enough out to 200 yards but not expecting a tack driver.

Maybe you guy's wanna wait. I've heard MKE of Turkiye and Century? are going to be importing MKE made HK 91s, etc. MKE is a legit HK licenced Turkish military maker who makes them for their own police, army, etc. Prob better than PTR

Wouldn't be my choice as a go to war weapon, but they're good to go. And they're awesome if they're your choice for a go to war weapon.

I have an FMP G3S that I bought in 96 in California of all places. It’s a beast. I have not shot it past 300 but it is solid at 300. It was made in 3/89 In Portugal. I think it is the precursor to PTR.

Ptr91’s are a great platform. However. There is no last round hold open. And the days of finding hk91 magazines for pennies are long gone. That said. Really well made, on H&K tooling. In fact, one of the H&K engineers moved here to the US to work for them. PTR is actually putting out better rolling blocks than Germany was. So get it. All H&K 91 mags are “preban”. I don’t own one anymore just because each trigger pull is like getting punched in the face.

Feed it steel and you are good.
It kinda flutes the brass.

I had a century arms one and never had an issue

Skip the magpul prs1 stock btw.
It's heavy as a brick and you get more felt recoil

Ive had an hk91 and a ptr91. Ptr is very well made. Great rifle. Accurate and reliable. I prefer ar and ak over 308 rifles but for a 308 battle rifle you can’t go wrong. Had an fal and I’d take the ptr over it hands down for many reasons. Cheap mags Is a huge plus!

As nice as they are, and having owned 1.
I would give the advice on building a quality AR10.

The only downside to the AR10 is no pre ban mags if you live in a ban state.

So technically you can only have "10 rounders" instead of the 20 round G3 mags

The only downside to the AR10 is no pre ban mags if you live in a ban state.

So technically you can only have "10 rounders" instead of the 20 round G3 mags
The Armalite AR 10’s. Have preban mags, or converted M14 pre ban mags. If you really want the 20 round capacity

Back
Top Bottom