Pudelpointer

Got my deposit in on a pudelpointer pup. Before someone says its a new designer mutt, it's not. The breed has been around since the 1800's. the more I research this breed the more existed I get. I know a lot of diehard dog guys don't lke the "versatile" hunting dogs. But I love that I can have a pointer in the field and a retriever in the swamp. Also a big plus for me is that the preeding alliance will not allow AKC to take the breed because they don't want show lines. Every breeder I have found will only sell to avid hunters. I will keep the thread updated when I get the pup and start training

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 165
Beautiful dog. Never hears of this breed but sounds awesome.

If you google pics of them you will see there are a lot of different looks. The coat is not consistent. Some are smooth like the one I posted. Others have longer coats like a wire haired pointer. They breed for workability and not coat. You can get all different looks even in the same litter. I like the slicker coats with a beard!

Nice looking dog. I'm not a bird hunter, but I admire Viszlas for their versatility.

Most people don't know that Poodles ("Pudel") were originally retrievers, and the ridiculous show cuts are an exageration of how they were cut for the field.

Nice looking dog. I'm not a bird hunter, but I admire Viszlas for their versatility.

Most people don't know that Poodles ("Pudel") were originally retrievers, and the ridiculous show cuts are an exageration of how they were cut for the field.

From what I researched they were actually a really good hunting dog before the ruined the breed.

I have to pick the dog up in Canada near Toronto. Does anyone know if there is any forms that need to be filled out to cross the boarder with a new dog?

I have to pick the dog up in Canada near Toronto. Does anyone know if there is any forms that need to be filled out to cross the boarder with a new dog?

Might need Rabies certificate and/or Vet certificate stating it is healthy.

They are great hunting dogs and you can use them to track lost deer too! My friend just got one too, it is under a yr old.

Might need Rabies certificate and/or Vet certificate stating it is healthy.

They are great hunting dogs and you can use them to track lost deer too! My friend just got one too, it is under a yr old.

[strike=line]Ma required a 30 day quarantine and health certificates for any dogs coming in from out of state, if my memory serves. I'll see if I can pull up my sources on this; during our rescue days, we transported many dogs throughout New England, and they all had to be quarantined for a time before they could be delivered to their home, but I don't remember if it was based off of where they were coming from, or if it was just a general thing.[/strike]

Turns out that that falls under the commercial import clause; private owners just have to license the dog and ensure it is vaccinated.

§ 138. Change of owner or keeper of licensed dog; dog brought into commonwealth A person who during any license period becomes the owner or keeper of a dog which is duly licensed in the town or city where it is to be kept shall forthwith give notice in writing to the clerk of such town or city, or if kept in Boston to the police commissioner, that he has become such owner or keeper and said clerk or police commissioner, as the case may be, shall change the record of such license to show the name and address of the new owner or keeper. Any person bringing or causing to be brought from another state or country any dog licensed under the laws thereof which is 6 months old or over or will be 6 months old before the expiration of thirty days therefrom shall, on or before the expiration of thirty days following the arrival of such dog within the commonwealth, cause such dog to be registered, numbered, described and licensed for the remainder of the then current license period.

The international import laws that apply to you are here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/461/~/quarantine-requirements-for-imported-dogs,-including-puppies
Only Hawaii and Guam have quarantine requirements for pet dogs being imported. Other U.S. states and territories only require the pet be vaccinated against rabies (also known as rage) at least 30 days before entering the United States. The rabies vaccination does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free (rage-free).

Owners of puppies are required to fill out and sign a Notice to Owners and Importers of Dogs form at the port of entry, which is submitted to the quarantine station that oversees the port of entry. This enables the owner to postpone vaccination until the puppy is 3 months of age. The puppy must remain in the owner's residence, away from other pets and people. After three months, the puppy must be vaccinated against rabies. Be aware, the quarantine station follows up with the owner's local health department, to ensure the vaccination takes place. It is essential that the owner of the puppy complies with these requirements.

Last edited:
Its been along time since I started this thread but I got my pup. Funny thing is when I posted the pic of the dog in my op I just picked a random pic off the Internet. After some research that dog is my pups great grandmother. image.jpg
He is 8.5 weeks old. I have already had him on pigeons and around some light gun fire and he is doing great.

Still hanging around here @Usmc1345 ? Anyone else with a Pudelpointer?

If so, would you care to offer any additional info on your pup? Breeder info? How does its coat do in this area?

I'm looking for a pointer on the mellower side of a GSP, after our Wirehaired Pointing Griffon passed this summer. She was an excellent dog but her coat required a lot of maintenance. Looking at options, the Pudelpointer has caught my interest.

Still hanging around here @Usmc1345 ? Anyone else with a Pudelpointer?

If so, would you care to offer any additional info on your pup? Breeder info? How does its coat do in this area?

I'm looking for a pointer on the mellower side of a GSP, after our Wirehaired Pointing Griffon passed this summer. She was an excellent dog but her coat required a lot of maintenance. Looking at options, the Pudelpointer has caught my interest.
Hey, I am in New England and now have my third pudelpointer. He is 13 so I am looking for another dog too. You can try www.PCNA.org (descended from the original Pudelpointers in Canada/USA and founder of NAVHDA.) Other breeders may have branched off or broke away from the original line, most are very responsible breeders, but beware of puppy factories. Stick with breeders who breed hunting dogs and sell only to avid hunters. The Pudelpointer is a strong hunter with good nose and pointing instinct and may tend towards big running (not a boot licker.) All hunting breeds require proper training but no worries around the house. The PP is a gentle house dog with kids, etc. I look forward to my 4th PP in 2022. I am in southern CT and hunt up through MA and northern NH and ME. [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom