• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purchasing guns and ammo.

Signa427

Banned
What are the requirements for purchasing guns and ammo in vermont?
Im 17, I live in mass with a camp in vermont, and I dont have a FID, but have completed both an NRA basic pistol course, and a hunter safety education course last year.

What are the requirements for purchasing guns and ammo in vermont?
Im 17, I live in mass with a camp in vermont, and I dont have a FID, but have completed both an NRA basic pistol course, and a hunter safety education course last year.

You aren't buying anything legally. You need to be 18 or older for starters.

once you are 18, you can buy long arm ammo in VT or even NH with little aggravation.

Handgun rounds IIRC will have to wait till you are 21

As for guns, since you are legally a MA resident, handgun purchases out of state require the gun to transit through a MA FFL for you to purchase. You can buy long arms in VT when you are of legal age from a FFL there, which you can leave in VT, or bring to MA, but as soon as they come to MA they must be reported on a FA-10 form. Anything you buy in VT has to meet the restrictions of stupid MA laws IIRC IANAL

Ok that clears things up. I had a feeling I had to be 18, but the way the laws are so loose around guns in VT, I wasnt sure if I needed an FID to purchase ammo.

It's not the state laws that are the problem. It's the fact that Federal Law says 18+ for rifle/shotgun ammo and 21+ for "ammo intended for use in a handgun" (as nebulous as that sounds).

So basically, anyone selling ammo that is an FFL (which is 99.9% of the shops that sell ammo) are going to be going by those age guidelines.

-Mike

It's not the state laws that are the problem. It's the fact that Federal Law says 18+ for rifle/shotgun ammo and 21+ for "ammo intended for use in a handgun" (as nebulous as that sounds).

So basically, anyone selling ammo that is an FFL (which is 99.9% of the shops that sell ammo) are going to be going by those age guidelines.

-Mike

And we should point out that possession is not the same as sale. So there are different restrictions on possession that are state dependent. All anyone here who has answered you has discussed is sales.

After Comm v. Powell, I won't engage in the discussion of possession by minors because the AG has a far more liberal reading of the statutes than I do. [grin]

Have you tried finding these answers in official Vermont websites like their Attorney General, State Police, and Dept of Fish & Game?

I cant find anything about that on the website. I think thats why theres a law section in the fourms.

You need to start getting used to the fact that in most states the law tells you what you cannot do, which means that whatever the law is silent on you CAN do.

Anyone else remember when the drinking age in VT was 18? Kids used to pile into cars and drive up from UMass for the night. Was fun skiing, too. Too bad it is 21 to both drink and shoot now. Was it always 21 to shoot?

Back
Top Bottom