• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purchasing handguns as a LEO...

As a LEO are you still restricted to the AG rules and the approved weapons roaster? I am interested in the Barretta 90-TWO, but it's not on the list. Anyone have any insight on this?

Individual LEO's in MA are exempt from the AG's safety regulations. You can purchase any handgun off the EOPS list with a police ID. If you want a handgun not on the EOPS list for personal or off-duty use you will have to get your chief to write a letter authorizing the purchase.

Departments may issue any handgun they want for duty or off-duty use. If the handgun is not on the EOPS list then the department will have to have the handguns shipped to them directly. If they are on the EOPS list then the department can get them from a FFL in MA.

All long guns are exempt from the AG's regs & EOPS since they aren't handguns. LEO's in MA may purchase or possess semi-auto post-ban "assault-style" weapons if the FFL will transfer them. The law is vague but the assault weapons ban in MA doesn't apply to law enforcement officers for the purposes of law enforcement. Really big gray area here but there is no case law so who knows. Some FFL's in MA will sell post-ban rifles with evil features to LEO's and some won't. This also applies to post-ban high cap mags. Some will do it and other FFL's will want a letter from the chief justifying the purchase.

I'm guessing hunter46spring's "department purchase" of an AR-15 was for personal use and was only a departmental purchase for some type of police discount. In this case the safe route would be to purchase an AWB-compliant AR-15 since it is a personal purchase and not really for the purposes of law enforcement.

Automatic weapons may be issued for officer use by their departments only. I think it's departmental policy that determines if the weapon can be taken home or left in a car but a LEO can possess a post-86 automatic weapon if the department issues it.

All these laws apply to federal law enforcement agencies in MA as well. The statutes are written to allow military & LEO's from other states to possess post-ban evil, high-cap mags & automatic weapons while in the course of their official duties.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Thanks abombs...that just cleared up everything...guess my Barretta 90-TWO and Px4 Storm will have to wait till I get transferred.

Back
Top Bottom