PVC fleshing beam?

pupchow

NES Member
Seeking suggestions for PVC diameter and suitable fleshing knife combination for coyote and raccoon.

For a Good Fleshing knife spend the money and get a Necker. As far a Fleshing beam mine is made from a 2x6 and shaped like a coyote board stretcher. I have tried the PVC type and even the fiberglass one, I still prefer the wooden beam.

I grew up trapping coons, muskrat, and fox and never heard the term "fleshing beam" until today.
We skinned the animal, rolled up the fur, put it in a plastic bag and then in the freezer until the fur buyer came to town.

I've never used PVC but I've seen some that we're made.

I made mine with spare hardwood lumber, I think it was like a 2.00" X 10.00" oak beam. Cut it down to the proper dimensions. I then used a 5 gallon bucket cut in half to get the proper curvature and shaved and sanded the wood down until it matched the curve on the inside of the bucket. Worked great for the past 5 years or so. It won't fit a fox or a cat, only a coyote.

If I were doing it again i'd just buy one from F&T Post. Get the necker knife as mentioned above, I have a cheap generic fleshing knife and it sucks but it does work.

^ Good idea but how are you going to do that mid winter? You'd have to keep your animals frozen until the spring time.

DO NOT ADD ANY KIND OF BORAX OR SALT TO FURS!!!

If you are planning to send those furs out for tanning do not do anything but dry them, The tanneries will reject them and if they miss it then the material that you put on the leather side of the fur can damage the whole vat of fur that is being tanned.

Folks, Those of you that are interested August 23rd and 24th 2019 at the Belknap County 4H grounds the New Hampshire Trappers Association is holding their annual Rendezvous. There will be skinning and fleshing demos as well as vendors there to buy your supplies from. Admission is free.

Check us out at nhtassoc.org

Those you looking for Trapping supplies locally, from someone who knows the trapping and fur business. Try this guy in Boscawen, NH: Baileys Trapping Supplies
Also Runnings in Hinsdale and Claremont also carries some supplies as does Bass Pro Shops.

Back
Top Bottom