• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PVC pipe target holder

I am going to be building a target holder for the range and am think of using PVC pipe (cheap and easy to fix). Planing it is no problem but has anyone done this before and would have some insight from what they have learned or other ideas then PVC.

This is one thing I found online but I intend to make it out of larger dia. pipe and also about six feet tall but "telescoping" down to three feet.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pvctstandc.htm

I like it. One addition I'd make is an eyebolt on each "foot" so you can stake the frame down in a high wind - Riverside seems to have a lot of wind on it's 25 yard range, and I've seen many heavy wooden target frames tip over.

I agree, wind is a real problem on most ranges where it's wide open. Even wooden holders don't stand up well.

Another thought is to fill the base sections with sand and glue and cap those parts only. That way you can still lift the uprights out & you don't have to worry about staking in most conditions.

Wood is natural and pvc is not. It's a nice frame but I would make something out of wood....just a little more environmentally friendly if it gets all shot up.....

Very nice frame though....

Last edited by a moderator:
I did something similar based on an article last summer article in American Handgunner (I think).

Do what Dwarven said, and add the eye bolt! Mine are forever tipping over.

Also, I would add the end caps, and glue all of the base sections together, or I've considered running a shock cord through the base and attaching it to the end caps prior to gluing to make it faster to assemble at the range.

Don't glue in the uprights though.

I've used these for a few months, and all in all, I like them. The bases stay in my car year round. All in all, I think it cost me $25 to build three decent stands. Not bad!

Here is a link with specs and images to another forum that has this illustrated:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1143076916

Mods, if it isn't kosher to list this link here for some reason, feel free to delete it.

Last edited:
Wood is better, IMO. I would place a fair wager that if the PVC gets
hit by bullets that it isnt going to last very long. At least with some furring
strips or whatever there is some resiliency if a stray shot hits one of the
supports. A good friend I shoot with always uses wood target stands, and
they usually stand up pretty well to grazings or even a few hits.

Another thing that works good is wooden pallets. With a piece of wood in back to prop
it up, they make decent target stands that last for awhile.

-Mike

Has anyone shot PVC? Does it just shatter or can it take some hits?

I know I just should not hit it but I will be introducing some newbies while using these and you never know.

Looks like the one pictured on the rohrbaughforum is a hybrid; PVC base and wood uprights above the crossbar. Also I notice that one person says make it out of 3/4" PVC, another says 1.5" PVC. I'd say that the 1.5" might be sturdier.

Perhaps 1.75" would be better; then you could wedge 1x2" wood in the uprights, I'd think. Do they make PVC in 1.75 ID?

Has anyone shot PVC? Does it just shatter or can it take some hits?

I know I just should not hit it but I will be introducing some newbies while using these and you never know.

PVC doesn't shatter, persay, but it does crack and splinter very easily. One good hit with a medium sized round and those side bars are finished. You'll spend a lot of time replacing the PCV or duct taping it back together.

I'd stick with wood.

I made a similar target hanger out of PVC for a pellet gun field, which is how I know they crack so well. I ended up using duct tape to essentially laminate the PVC. It extended the life of the PVC, they they still needed to be replaced fairly often.

I built a real simple one out of 1x2 furring strips. It's 5' tall by 2' wide with cross supports half way up and at the top. The legs are 3' long and slide onto the vertical supports with 6" in front and 30" behind the supports. I can put 4-6 targets on a piece of cardboard stapled between the cross supports. It works well and is quite light, but I need to put something heavy on the legs if it is windy at all. Maybe I can make some "U" shaped wire stakes to stake the legs down if it windy.

My only problem with wood is the weight. Maybe a base made from PVC and upper made from wood is the best idea.

Buy the following:

3 X 2 PVC Right hand Estabrook

3 X 2 PVC Left Hand Estabrook

2-3 X 2 PVC Couplings

10' 3" PVC
10' 2" PVC

1 10' firring strip

Take the Estabrook fittings lat them so the 2" outlets face each other and join them together in the width you want with 2" pipe.

Make legs from 3" PVC long enough to be stable. Make 12" risers from 3" PVC. Put the 3 x 2 couplings on top of the 3" riser. Make 2" risers

Put strapping in the 2" risers and use an old box flattened out to join the strapping and serve as a backer for your target.

and to answer questions posed, PVC will shatter. The colder it is outsiode the more brittle it becomes. The longer it is exposed to sunlight, the more brittle it becomes.

If you drill and screw your joints rather than glue them, when the pipe shatters, the fittings can be reused. If you are real clever, you and drill and pin them so they are easily taken apart.

These are the big fittings. Factory calls them Sanitary Tee with side inlet.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/productpage.asp?product=03501

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/productpage.asp?product=03504

Regards,

RGS thanks, the website is good too b/c I was looking for cad drawings, Eventhough I don't need to I still like to model up things I make and the AutoCAD drawings on the website make it easier.

RGS thanks, the website is good too b/c I was looking for cad drawings, Eventhough I don't need to I still like to model up things I make and the AutoCAD drawings on the website make it easier.

As you see that fitting in the picture, it is how you would see it looking down to the ground.

Glad I could help. I made some of these for a local club to use for a shotgun shoot three years ago. They are still good. I used PVC cement because I have it and had the fittings on a job.

Here's another cheap and easy PVC stand. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

I love The Box O Truth!

Gary
I have two of these, only slightly larger. I started off not gluing the sections, but that was a pain in the ass. I glue everything but the two vertical piece; this allows for easy storage/transport and those are the two pieces I think most likely to get shot (hopefully only shotgun).

I looked everywhere for the fittings RoundGunShooter suggested, couldn't find them anywhere, but I am glad to see I wasn't crazy thinking they existed.

Pictures?
Ask and ye shall receive.
Also I mis-remembered the dimensions. It's 6' tall by 2' wide and the leg supports are about 26" long. I used wallboard screws to assemble it.
Front of the stand, leaning against wall with leg supports leaning next to it.
P3280363.jpg

Back of stand with vertical supports inserted into legs
P3280365.jpg

Detail of leg supports. The vertical pieces slide into the gap between the horizontal support and plywood gusset.
P3280364.jpg

PVC base and wood uprights above the crossbar.

Yup, this is how it's designed. That way, the PVC parts stay low to the ground, and shouldn't ever get hit.

Also I notice that one person says make it out of 3/4" PVC, another says 1.5" PVC. I'd say that the 1.5" might be sturdier.

I didn't see the 3/4" PVC plans, but I used the 1.5" They're light, cheap, and work great. Should weight/stake them down in winds though.

FYI, the Box-O-Truth guy modified the American Handgunner version a little made all pieces 16" it looks like. Might give you more stability.

Back
Top Bottom