Q: How much have you had to drink tonight?

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
A: Plenty! [rolleyes]

Hamilton Montana Police Shooting

FC655C8D28A022687A46164409DF85BE_250_250.jpg

Dashboard video from a January traffic stop in Hamilton that ended in gunfire. A coroner’s jury ruled Tuesday that Hamilton Police Officer Ross Jessop was justified in shooting Raymond Thane Davis. Davis was shot following what began as a routine traffic stop just before 2 a.m. on Jan. 2nd in the 100 block of Fairground Road. Jessop approached Davis’ More.. vehicle and was talking to the man when Davis pulled a gun and fired at the officer, the release said. Jessop returned fire and hit Davis. Davis sped away east on Fairgrounds Road, where his vehicle collided with a utility box and a Ravalli County Road Shop building. Davis was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last edited:
14 shots in 5 seconds. I think this clearly illustrates how police can fire multiple shots in the heat of the moment without using excessive force like everybody likes to claim.

Mike

That LEO is amazingly lucky, I'm glad he wasn't hurt. It looks like the first time around the guy forgot to rack the slide and had to bring it back into the car before he started firing. Pretty scary video

From what I got at work, it was a revolver on a spent round or empty cylinder for first shot.

Don't carry your flashlight in your gun hand.

OK I'll be the one to scrutinize this one.
Yes I know the cop was fired at once, he returned fire ..ok

But what about all those follow up shots when the perp sped away? I see lights on the other side of the road...perhaps someone's home? Thoughts?

But what about all those follow up shots when the perp sped away? I see lights on the other side of the road...perhaps someone's home? Thoughts?

Perhaps it's a home, perhaps it's just some random lights over an empty racetrack of some sort. I have no issues giving the officer the benefit of the doubt on this one.

From the muzzle blast... Looked like the dead guy had a 4" .357 revolver. That LEO was damn lucky the first shot was on an empty chamber.

Dude.

No doubt returning fire was justified and we have no facts or evidence that someone lived on the other side of the road...but again, its the "what if" you lived accross the roads, what would you think?

No doubt returning fire was justified and we have no facts or evidence that someone lived on the other side of the road...but again, its the "what if" you lived accross the roads, what would you think?

From the article, the stop took place on the 100 block of Fairground Road in Hamilton. The article also states that the driver crashed into the Ravalli County Road Shop, which means he was headed eastbound on Fairground when he fled. That puts the backstop as the fairground itself, which is a large open area with a track and such, like I mentioned in my previous response. Those lights aren't houses, there are no houses across the road there.

what about calling off police chases? you know, for the safety of the children??????

then the bad guy t-bones and kills someone anyway..... i think it was baltimore PD that tried that policy.

*disclaimer: i am NOT LE.

He did what he had to do, that's what I would think. Do you think LEOs in NYC and Boston get a chance to choose their backstop? Knowing your target and what is beyond it is great, but in many situations it is not possible to be 100% sure of what is beyond it, because you're focused on the threat at hand.

-Mike

Good recovery by the officer-you naturally react to the threat and then your training takes over. As for the person who posed the "what if", well, now everyone can see what can happen and how you unload ASAP. Thanks for bringing it up, though. Thoughtful of you.

A gunfight isn't over until it's over. Maybe the perp was "fleeing," and maybe he was just driving to another position to continue the fight from (that happened in the Kehoe brothers shootout in Ohio, but running gun battles with the cops where the suspect shoots, drives, stops and shoots again happen regularly too, there's dash cam footage of those floating around the 'Net). Most PD policies also allow cops to shoot at a fleeing felon when their escape presents a substantial danger to the public, and this guy definitely qualifies for that.

what about calling off police chases? you know, for the safety of the children??????

then the bad guy t-bones and kills someone anyway..... i think it was baltimore PD that tried that policy.

If you think that's crazy, you should check out the Dallas, TX police department policy regarding car chases, it's one of the most restricted in the US.

Back
Top Bottom