• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Q: What bag(s) to slog all NRA highpower competition gear?

How do people organize their shooting jacket, glove, scope and stand, mat, tools, chair, and the various accouterments of NRA highpower matches (I've never been to one, I hope to go to one soon, maybe find and hook up with some people beforehand that do it and get some pointers, zero my new upper, etc)

Is it a bag with an integrated gun case, or like a ruck? Or would everything fit nicely in a top-load duffle bag of some standardized large size?

Do you have enough small bags and just dump everything in one of those little pull-carts and toss a chair on it and go?

Or do you use a range bag and a gun case, and just wear your jacket and stuff?

Or some other thing I haven't thought of.

Thanks,
JRP
Milford, MA

Most of the shooters who would answer you are at the National Matches at Camp Perry this week. Most guys use some sort of wheeled stool. The seat incorporates a bag with pockets. The jacket and mat are often folded onto the seating area. The spotting scope is usually lashed on as well. Bungee cords are you friend!! There are as many set ups as there are shooters. Poke around creedmoorsports.com to see the Cadillac of carts. Hope this gets you started with some ideas. The regular shooters should be back soon.

How do people organize their shooting jacket, glove, scope and stand, mat, tools, chair, and the various accouterments of NRA highpower matches (I've never been to one, I hope to go to one soon, maybe find and hook up with some people beforehand that do it and get some pointers, zero my new upper, etc)

Is it a bag with an integrated gun case, or like a ruck? Or would everything fit nicely in a top-load duffle bag of some standardized large size?

Do you have enough small bags and just dump everything in one of those little pull-carts and toss a chair on it and go?

Or do you use a range bag and a gun case, and just wear your jacket and stuff?

Or some other thing I haven't thought of.

Thanks,
JRP
Milford, MA
I started with a cheap 2 wheeler and a bucket strapped to it. I have a heavy duty wheeled bag i use now. I generally just carry my rifle with the sling.
I bought a few of these bags used over the years. They are tough. I finally blew out a wheel on mine after 8 years of hard abuse
https://www.forceprotector.com/fpg-online-store/Deployer®-Collapsible-Loadout-Bag-p94798264

If your going to get into high power and you can make the trip to the nationals you can find great deals on new and used equipment. I still have not picked up a cart yet but plan to one of these days if I can stop buying reloading supplies and rifles.

They are tough. I finally blew out a wheel on mine after 8 years of hard abuse
https://www.forceprotector.com/fpg-online-store/Deployer®-Collapsible-Loadout-Bag-p94798264

As an aside, I will never understand why luggage, since its inception, was always so disproportionately expensive (I mean, I can sort of see for back in the 80s when I bought my first set and for some reason you had to go to an actual luggage store with a commissioned luggage sales person to get it - it felt like buying a used car), or why the semi-cheap Chinese stuff you can get today - in stores or via amazon - is so invariably terrible. (I can see why the completely cheap, $30 stuff you can get is terrible, fine.)

I literally just bought a HF workbench that's like 75 lbs of pre-machined metal and wood and parts, is made with the same kind of Chinese slave-wage labor as you'd sew bags together with, was shipped from China on a boat, and the final leg was fedex'd to my house in three days, and it's perfectly acceptable for around $100 plus $20 or so for shipping.

One would think one should be able to make luggage with some pockets, wheels and plastic structure for $100 that's basically functional and not going to fall apart after two uses, but I've yet to come across such.

Creedmoor sells a nice (but expensive) cart. Ray-Vin sells a conversion kit that’s pretty good.

I have a Schneller cart but unfortunately the original guys sold the business and the new buyer stopped making the carts.

Basic shooting stool holds the small stuff, mat rolls around my scope stand and goes across the stop of the stool and gets picked up and held tight when I pick up the handles. Coat on my back, rifle on my shoulder or in the other hand. Lately I've been casing the scope itself and also carrying it with the stool, awkward but OK. Lots of crap I used to think I needed but don't stays in the car or at home.

I have the creedmoor stool conversion cart. As I have a car, I needed something that would break down easily. At the beginning of a match, I unpack my trunk and fill the cart up. Cart has a spot for the rifle, case stays in your car. Mat, jacket, and sweatshirt get bungeed on. My assembled spotting scope/stand get bungeed on last. I also have a bike messenger style bag which I loop over the cart handles with snacks, water, data book etc - this can be easily removed and comes down to the pits with me.

Guess how many times I lugged my gear from 2-3-6? Just once. Then I got the cart.

Post #5 has some great info. What speaks to me in this post is the importance of having an organized cart.

What it takes to be competitive, part II - equipment - CMP Forums

As an aside, I will never understand why luggage, since its inception, was always so disproportionately expensive (I mean, I can sort of see for back in the 80s when I bought my first set and for some reason you had to go to an actual luggage store with a commissioned luggage sales person to get it - it felt like buying a used car), or why the semi-cheap Chinese stuff you can get today - in stores or via amazon - is so invariably terrible. (I can see why the completely cheap, $30 stuff you can get is terrible, fine.)

I literally just bought a HF workbench that's like 75 lbs of pre-machined metal and wood and parts, is made with the same kind of Chinese slave-wage labor as you'd sew bags together with, was shipped from China on a boat, and the final leg was fedex'd to my house in three days, and it's perfectly acceptable for around $100 plus $20 or so for ship
One would think one should be able to make luggage with some pockets, wheels and plastic structure for $100 that's basically functional and not going to fall apart after two uses, but I've yet to come across such.

its hard to find nice stuff at common folk prices.

If I didn't already have a Schneller, I'd buy the Creedmoor Big Blue. It's expensive, but it's really nice and folds small if you don't have a truck. $460 out at Perry this Year, My buddy bought one.

Back
Top Bottom