Quality or Quantity?

When I first started shooting I balked at the exorbitant prices of some handguns and rifles. “Who in their right mind could justify spending that much on a gun?!,” I thought. Well, apparently this guy about 12 years later.

I have watched my collection slowly transform from inexpensive, functional, ‘quantity’ guns into guns that are better quality that I find more pleasure in shooting.

I just bought a shotgun that cost about 6 times what I paid for my first shotgun. Old self would have given me a dope slap.

I am not a gun snob, well at least I don’t think I am, but I would rather save up and buy a really nice quality gun vs. having multiple mediocre guns for the same cost.
What say you?

Do I want a yard full of Chryslers that don't work, or one Lexus that does?

But I also view quality on a scale based on suitability to task. I'm perfectly happy with Mossberg 500s to defend the homestead, but I would not buy one for skeet or duck hunting. On the other side, I would not use a $1500+ 1911 for EDC because it would hurt too much if it were confiscated as evidence.

How it feels to you also matters. None of my Appleseed loaner 10/22s with Tech-Sights can compare to the feel of my CZ 452 with Gehmann sights, even though both are very close in mechanical accuracy.

I started a lot like you. I went down a “just as good” path. Over time i have found that getting exactly what you want is worth at least a small premium.

I do believe there is a point at which something is “good enough” but not “just as good”. For my skills and applications i probably wouldnt get the value out of higher end guns like others might. I have a couple good reliable carry guns that are mid range pricewise and they work. I have a hunting shotgun that i paid a little extra for because it offered a couple features i liked. I could probably buy a gucci glock for 3x what mine cost or a svelte hunting shotgun but i seriously doubt it would be the gun thats a real difference maker in either category.

I've spoken to a few people about how I have trended this way--I used to go for more "entry level" stuff whereas now I know that it's better to save up and get something you really like as the costs are defrayed over years and you end up dropping money on ammo anyway. I do have some "cheap" stuff like a 10/22 and a Mk III, but I also opted for an Arsenal over a RAS47, and a BCM over an M&P Sport, etc.

I don't spend for the sake of spending, but for me it's gotten to the point where I'd rather have a German Mauser than a Yugo, etc.

This isn't to say I'd buy something like a SCAR (still too expensive for my tastes) or those Meteorite-made 1911s, but I'd opt for a Dan Wesson 1911 over something like the Tisas Import ones from Turkey.

Expensive, high end guns get justified as someone grows as a shooter, collector, etc. Buying a Krieghoff is a bit odd for a newb, arguably stupid. Buying a Krieghoff as a guy who shoots trap, skeet, or sporting clays twice a week every week makes sense.

i never bought, or owned junk...from day one. in close to 50 years i remember only 2, but i bought them cause they were offered to me at such a low price i couldn't resist.

I think that’s just age and experience, we tend to appreciate quality a lot more as we get older.

Teen me; give me dat pint of Southern Comfort for 8.00 and I’ll drink the whole thing at one party.

Old me; I’ll take the 200.00 bottle of scotch, drink it lovingly and slowly at home, alone, making it last for two or three weeks, and be much happier.

If I had money to which I could spend plenty without worry, I'd probably buy a couple of expensive guns, but I don't..... have the money, that is. I look at it this way, If I am satisfied with a $300 gun, then why buy a $1500 gun? I bought a S&W 1911 9MM and fired it a half dozen times and decided it wasn't for me. I ended up with 2 firearms plus some cash in my pocket what that cost. It definitely does down to personal preference.

I went the other way. Spent money on quality. Then as the collection grew, money was spent on meeting personal minimum requirements. Buying one or two RMRs is doable for most. But when you're putting optics on ~5+ other handguns, then you might be buying cheaper Vortex and Holosuns. I can Geissele a couple of rifiles, but then the other 10 ARs are more than likely getting a $30 handguard and knockoff EOTechs. Aliexpress all the things!!!

I went the other way. Spent money on quality. Then as the collection grew, money was spent on meeting personal minimum requirements. Buying one or two RMRs is doable for most. But when you're putting optics on ~5+ other handguns, then you might be buying cheaper Vortex and Holosuns. I can Geissele a couple of rifiles, but then the other 10 ARs are more than likely getting a $30 handguard and knockoff EOTechs. Aliexpress all the things!!!
I would never question anyone's right to have 10+ ARs and I am a firm believer in people buying whatever they want, but what do you do with 10+ ARs? Unless you have a boatload of kids...

I have a midlength, rifle, and carbine gas systems and 16-20'' barrels, fixed/collapsible stock ARs... (so a few different configurations) but I'm not sure what use I'd have for 7+ more of them... I know there's all kinds of calibers, but still...

If you shoot often, the cost of the gun is the least costly part of shooting :)

We shoot around 20,000 rounds a year, 22, 9mm, 357, 38, 45-70 and 308. Even at an average rate of 20 cents a round, it's $4K per year. Heck, 45-70 can run you two dollars per round. Thank god I reload. Actually, maybe that is the problem; I reload. Uggh.

Anyway, buy nice stuff. Plus, nice stuff is always easy to sell, and that goes for any hobby.

I would never question anyone's right to have 10+ ARs and I am a firm believer in people buying whatever they want, but what do you do with 10+ ARs? Unless you have a boatload of kids...

I have a midlength, rifle, and carbine gas systems and 16-20'' barrels, fixed/collapsible stock ARs... (so a few different configurations) but I'm not sure what use I'd have for 7+ more of them... I know there's all kinds of calibers, but still...

If you have the means to afford them then nbd, its good to have spares or for people you trust etc. If I had stupid money around I'd have at least a dozen. A more reasonable goalpoast is at least one clone of any existing gun as a spare.

-Mike

On the other side, I would not use a $1500+ 1911 for EDC because it would hurt too much if it were confiscated as evidence.

I imagine different towns/state have different approaches, but if you are involved in a shooting in Mass I would expect the PD to seize everything, so you may as well carry the nice pistol

Quality is important but you don't always get what you pay for.

In my eyes buying a $1500 revolver versus a similar model for $600 (at a similar discount below list) and the $$ likely is going into better quality. This is very apparent when you buy up-level from the same brand..

Buying at full retail to get some new model or during a panic, or to get a collector's item at a premium is likely a waste of $$ unless you do it knowingly for the sake of collection..

AR15s are a different breed because there is a spec. You absolutely pay more for quality but a lot of the hype around the huge $$ brands is just that, hype. Without optics, there is not a huge difference when you get into the $1000 range - returns diminish and after 500 rounds whether or not it's an actual military supplier, if it was manufactured with quality to begin with then your rifle has passed a rigorous QC. With ARs, since we never know the future of even parts availability, it is a good idea to own at least enough parts to build a few rifles for the long run - even if you only feel you need one around to shoot with.

If you have the means to afford them then nbd, its good to have spares or for people you trust etc. If I had stupid money around I'd have at least a dozen. A more reasonable goalpoast is at least one clone of any existing gun as a spare.

-Mike
I guess I need more friends! Although many of my friends already have 1-2 ARs of their own or analogs. I've never gotten into the 224 Valk, 300 BLK, Estoteric Caliber X, etc. game.

Even two per gas system/barrel length (5.56) that puts you at 6-8 of them.

More power to those that want to do it, I think three's enough for me, a "beater," a "nice one" and my M16A1 clone. Maybe one more someday as a backup (to the "nice one") or an A2 clone to kind of "round out the collection." Rather than 6 more ARs I'd rather get an AUG or something, I like the variety [smile]

I have a fairly new perspective on this as I've only been a gun owner/enthusiast/shooting etc for a little under 2 years.

So when I started I had an SD9VE. From there I wanted to be able to check off every "must" from my list I had in my head so I bought a shotgun, rifle and then revolver. Wasn't long before I really started enjoying it all and doing more research watching all the obvious, 'newbie' gun channels which at least taught me that what I owned was trash. Around then is also when I started becoming aware of 2a and decided I was going to carry. So I got rid of my trash and started buying 'better' stuff.

After a while I had a handful of Glocks, a couple more decent revolvers, upgraded the Maverick 88 to an 870 blah blah. But I was still thinking quantity because I thought "the more different stuff I have the more I can shoot and that is awesome" but eventually that wore off and I realized I needed to spend money on ammo and more time practicing/training/shooting.

So my collection downsized a little and that's sort of where I'm at now. I now have a few less but more I really wanted. I go for quality now. Have a nice Ruger super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 and S&W 500 that I looooove shooting. Bought a much nicer AR etc. I just try and take my time and wait. I just picked up my first pre ban Norinco 56s yesterday after discovering my love for everything AK and im drooling over that lol. But I always make sure that I have ammo and devote more time and money to practicing than just buying everything I can. More rewarding buying quality stuff. Fun hobby, important right.

I guess I need more friends! Although many of my friends already have 1-2 ARs of their own or analogs. I've never gotten into the 224 Valk, 300 BLK, Estoteric Caliber X, etc. game.

Even two per gas system/barrel length (5.56) that puts you at 6-8 of them.

More power to those that want to do it, I think three's enough for me, a "beater," a "nice one" and my M16A1 clone. Maybe one more someday as a backup (to the "nice one") or an A2 clone to kind of "round out the collection." Rather than 6 more ARs I'd rather get an AUG or something, I like the variety [smile]
If I was building ARs it would be pretty easy to find 10 different configurations that id like to have. Most would be 5.56 but sneaking a 300BO pistol in there or a .224valkyrie for hunting would be sweet. Youd need a 16” with a red dot, a 16” with irons, a 20” setup for longer range with a scope and bipod, probably an A1 clone, a dedicated lightweight rifle, and a duplicate of your go-to rifle. Theres 8 and i probably havent even covered all the bases.

I'd say for sure the gun grabbers create an additional dimension in the sense of "how many" for villanized models. I'd own a carbine and long range version of AR15 and AR10, and that's about it, but due to their idiocy I am in the double digits in complete rifles alone.

I want the best bang for my buck (pun intended). I look for value in a gun based on how I'm going to use it, regardless of cost. Quality, endurance, fit, cost, warranty if new are some of the factors that I weigh when buying.

Back
Top Bottom