• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quality Red Dot Sight for AR Platform

So I’m on the hunt for a new red dot optic for my AR. I’ve been using an original EoTech 512 and it’s eating batteries something fierce and will not reliably turn on anymore.

There are a lot of options out there now that wasn’t around when I bought the 512. So what do you like on your AR.
prism with a BDC reticle is more practical than just a dot, but, well.

why a dot, anyway? why not an LPVO? there are some quite cheap 1-4x around now, if you do not need 6x or 10x ones.

prism with a BDC reticle is more practical than just a dot, but, well.

why a dot, anyway? why not an LPVO? there are some quite cheap 1-4x around now, if you do not need 6x or 10x ones.

Actually looking for something fixed 1x magnification for this rifle. Have an ACOG with BDC for another build I have. This is going to be dedicated to a class III rifle so I don’t expect to be making any longer shots with it.

I have this one but a 5 year older version of it and I love it!
You can find them for $500.00

If you’re on a budget, and just looking for something for the range, I’d go Holosun or Sig Romeo5 while I’m also confident they’d hold up to most anything. The Holosuns are legit duty grade. I’ve seen them torture tested where they took a shotgun blast, still functioned and still held zero. The Estonian military uses Holosuns on their LMT rifles. If you want something truly tested, with the reputation, go atleast Aimpoint Pro. I have a bunch of Aimpoints (Pro, Comp M2, Comp M4/S, Comp M5, H2 and T2) and they’re all bomb proof.

This.
That's why I'm offering $12 pintys . For an extra buck I'll take a red sharpie and put the dot on the lense (a much greener approach with no batteries needed).
Only 45 available. Act quickly
scalper! how dare you! (c)

pinty was and is a $6 marvel.
proof:

ORDER PLACED
May 10, 2021
TOTAL
$6.38

Coming from an EOTech - you never be happy.

Get this:
EXPS3-0

Or

ACRO-P2

No joke, I put one of mine on a .458 socom for shits and grins and it's alive and well. I assume I'll eventually kill it but for range toy duty $9 (or was it $7?) isn't much of a loss.
mine survived about of 50 rounds of 308, for giggles as well. it is sturdier than it looks.
the glass is shit, of course. out of my set of 4 or 5 i think only 2 got a more or less clear lenses with almost no tint.
but, it works just fine and holds zero just fine as well.

and if you run out of ammo - it is heavy and very throwable.

mine survived about of 50 rounds of 308, for giggles as well. it is sturdier than it looks.
the glass is shit, of course. out of my set of 4 or 5 i think only 2 got a more or less clear lenses with almost no tint.
but, it works just fine and holds zero just fine as well.

and if you run out of ammo - it is heavy and very throwable.
I've shot a few hundred rounds of .458 300 grain JHP's & stout loads. Maybe a lightweight magnum bolt action would kill it quickly, however.

The solution to red dot problems comes in an Aimpoint box. I have a PRO (M68) and a Comp M4S. Pricey, but great, and rugged with a capital R.
I have never seen a red dot as perfectly round as an AIMPOINT.

Somebody mentioned holographic is better for astigmatism? What says the hive mind?
Both eyes open give a rather easy focus with sight picture on my holographic with zero parallax. It’s natural to raise, point, and shoot with these despite eye issues. Not for long distance of course but within 50 yards.

Somebody mentioned holographic is better for astigmatism? What says the hive mind?
i found a miracle solution for astigmatism red dot distortion. i have a prescription glasses for astigmatism correction with very slight '-' correction as well - and that pair got a coating that changes tint under UV rays. forgot that is a proper name for it.
so, somehow, this shit totally fixes the issue of red dot turning into an LCD inspired donut. i use now those glasses with my handguns - works fine with SRO, DPP and holosuns and pinty as well.
try it if you got a pair with such coating.

another 2 pairs i have done by same exact prescription, but without that coating both do produce crazy distortions.

Back
Top Bottom