Question about carrying in ME

Golddiggie

NES Member
Every year on the third Thursday in July, there's a tech gathering in Maine (near Freeport). The day's geek fest (actually VTUG) takes over one of the middle schools in that area. Since I now have my NH P&R, I can carry concealed in Maine too (everywhere AFAIK), does that also apply where the event takes place (since school is OUT)?

With all the crap happening in the country, by hostile entities, I'd feel many fold safer having my carry gun on/with me.

Post up if you KNOW the valid/correct answer on this. I do see "schools" on the 'no' list. But is that only when the schools are in session, or all year?

20-A M.R.S. § 6552

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Ach223.pdf

§6552. FIREARMS

1. Prohibition. A person may not possess a firearm on public school property or the property of an
approved private school or discharge a firearm within 500 feet of public school property or the property of an
approved private school.
[ 2009, c. 614, §2 (AMD) .]
2. Exceptions. The provisions under subsection 1 do not apply to the following.
A. The prohibition on the possession and discharge of a firearm does not apply to law enforcement
officials.
[2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR).]
B. The prohibition on the possession of a firearm does not apply to the following persons, if the
possession is authorized by a written policy adopted by the school board:
(1) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm for use in a supervised educational program
approved and authorized by the school board and for which the school board has adopted
appropriate safeguards to ensure student safety; and
(2) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is stored inside a locked vehicle in a closed
container, a zipped case or a locked firearms rack while the person is attending a hunter's breakfast
or similar event that:
(a) Is held during an open firearm season established under Title 12, Part 13 for any species of
wild bird or wild animal;
(b) Takes place outside of regular school hours; and
(c) Is authorized by the school board.
[2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR).]
C. The prohibition on possession and discharge of a firearm does not apply to a person possessing a
firearm at a school-operated gun range or a person discharging a firearm as part of a school-sanctioned
program at a school-operated gun range if the gun range and the program are authorized by a written
policy adopted by the school's governing body.
[2009, c. 614, §3 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR) .]
3. Penalty. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class E crime.
[ 1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW) .]
SECTION HISTORY
1981, c. 693, §§5,8 (NEW). 1989, c. 414, §13 (AMD). 2007, c. 67, §1(AMD). 2009, c. 614, §§2, 3 (AMD).

<http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Ach223.pdf>

...I now have my NH P&R, I can carry concealed in Maine too (everywhere AFAIK)...

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:

Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
Private property when prohibited by the property owner
Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057)
Wildlife Sanctuaries (as listed in 12 M.R.S. § 12707)
Labor disputes and strikes (32 M.R.S. § 9412(5))
Baxter State Park (as prohibited by Rules)
Allagash Wilderness Waterway (as prohibited by rules)

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:

Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

If an individual is carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, he/she has a duty, when coming into contact with any law enforcement officer during a routine stop, detention or arrest, to immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

The law pertains only to handguns, not all weapons. It is important to remember that this law does NOT authorize persons who are prohibited from possessing firearms to carry them. If a person is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, this law does nothing to change that prohibition. A person may be prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under state law, federal law, or both. Prohibitions include convictions (felony and qualifying misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence); some juvenile adjudications; many protection from abuse orders, dishonorable discharge from the military; immigration status; deferred disposition status; certain mental health adjudications (civil involuntary commitment; finding of not guilty by reason of insanity; finding of not competent to stand trial) and certain probate adjudications. Prohibitions may also be imposed by conditions of bail, probation, and deferred disposition agreements.

Firearms laws are complex. The summary above is necessarily an overview. Persons may wish to contact qualified private counsel and or review the applicable law if they have questions regarding whether they can legally possess firearms or ammunition. This agency is not authorized to give legal advice. This summary cannot be used as a defense to illegal activity involving firearms or ammunition.

<http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html>

I read that already, which is why I started the thread. The even happens weeks after school is out of session.

There's typically somewhere around 1000 people attending the event. At least that's been the count at the after party.

Key words, to me, are '...unloaded firearm that is stored inside a locked vehicle in a closed container...'

If I was the person who was planning to attend that 'similar event', inside a school, 'authorized' by the school board, 'outside of regular school hours', I wouldn't interpret any of the statute to mean that my taking any loaded firearm inside the building was authorized, because it isn't.

6552 clearly and very expressly states the opposite.

It's illegal to have a firearm on school grounds in Maine during the event you're talking about, clearly spelled out in the law that Wendell posted. There aren't any tricks to slide around it. I would park off of school grounds and have a firearm in my vehicle. It's better than leaving it at home entirely.

Back
Top Bottom