• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about shooting a wild animal on your property

I suspect that your pet dog or cat isn't considered livestock, and killing a 'yote that isn't attacking your child but just happens to be in the neighborhood isn't considered protection of life.

Really? Got a legal definition of "livestock?"

Are you suggesting cats and dogs are NOT domestic animals?

As for a toddler in the back yard, two words: Exigent circumstances.

Take care of you and yours. Any law that doesn't recognize that be damned. That's what laws are for. So that the good guys can do the right thing.

Really? Got a legal definition of "livestock?"

Are you suggesting cats and dogs are NOT domestic animals?
My understanding, which may well be incorrect, is that animals kept for farm use are covered, but pets are not. If that is incorrect, I'd love to see a citation.

I live on a farm and Was having the same problem so I called MA Wildlife and they sent me a letter stating that I could destroy coyotes, deer, or any other thing that can legally be hunted so long as I was at the proper setbacks and they were destroying livestock or even crops

I live on a farm and Was having the same problem so I called MA Wildlife and they sent me a letter stating that I could destroy coyotes, deer, or any other thing that can legally be hunted so long as I was at the proper setbacks and they were destroying livestock or even crops

so neighbor, can I come over and help dispatch the deer that are destroying your livestock and/or crops?

I agree that trapping the coyote is not the best plan. for every 1 that you see/hear, I will guarantee that there are 2-3 more out there. they are not exactly an endangered species. its best to let them know that you are a threat. they are unbelievably smart, and will quickly move on to a place where they do not feel threatened. Get permission from the neighbors, get a hunting license, and start baiting. good luck. the safety of your children is nothingto mess around with.

I don't want to call the local authorities yet because my neighbor did that last year and they basically told him "call us back when one attacks" [rolleyes]

But the state discourages "self help"...I think the best thing is for yourself to supervise the kids when they are out.

i talked to a MF&G biologist about killing coyotes that have killed three head of cattle and only the owner, his immediate family, or permanent employees are allowed to kill them, BUT, they have to be caught in the act.[crying]

I have seen it with my own eyes. Neighbor was trying to catch a raccoon and ended up with a very pissed off coyote. He was using an excessively large trap. I didn't believe it until I saw it. Maybe not the best way, but it will work in some situations. I also thought it was impossible, and maybe my neighbor just had a fluke happen. But I went with him to shoot it, and believe me it was in there.
Wow. I'm impressed.

Trapping it may not be the best idea ever, I will admit that. But a bow or crossbow is nearly silent, and a shovel isn't that loud either. And hamburg or even dog or cat food are cheap as well. I am sure you can find a way to remove said pest with a pile of bait, a bow or crossbow, and a shovel. I am not suggesting you do anything illegal, but what never happened is none of anybody's business.

shoot it.. if you can. They seem to know when guns are around...ask me how I know.

If/when someone reports a gunshot.......

"my child was outside, the coyote approached and I shot it to protect my child."

+1

Some of the coyotes around here are pretty brazen and stupid. Walked up to 20' of one without it noticing me. Others will sneak up 20' behind you and then take off if you notice them.

I would not put it past the coyote to try for kids if the parent is not right there, seems like less then 20' for the local pack. Anytime my 2 year old is out I want my cat out as well, gives me a little more notice if coyotes are around. The cat has had a few run ins with coyotes, he has the scars and I have the vet bills to prove it.

Get a dog.

In the event you can't terminate the animals presence for whatever reason , get a dog with a touch of attitude - genetically speaking. No Coyote is going to mess with an akita , rottweiller , German Shepard , etc.

Even a group of predators that can take a good dog will alarm you to get your rifle.

And coyotes aren't the only thing a dog can help with for your family & property.

Get a dog.

In the event you can't terminate the animals presence for whatever reason , get a dog with a touch of attitude - genetically speaking. No Coyote is going to mess with an akita , rottweiller , German Shepard , etc.

Even a group of predators that can take a good dog will alarm you to get your rifle.

And coyotes aren't the only thing a dog can help with for your family & property.
Sorry, this is a wrong advise. While working at the vet hospital, I had seen enough dogs, including listed breeds, who were severely injured by coyotes.
MXD, maybe you can try to poison those coyotes? Regular rodenticides should work well on them.

Regular rodenticides should work well on them.

NOT a good idea, Yelena. You, of all people, should know better.

Whatever the OP uses for bait will ALSO attract every cat and dog in the neighborhood; also raccoons and every other carnivore/omnivore in the area.

Reminds me of the Polish neighbor we had who was going to poison the groundhogs eating her flowers by putting out poison tuna fish.......[shocked]

Some towns have total bans on hunting within their borders too.

There is a thing called a Maine Coyote Trap which is essentially a large strong treble hook hung from a strong fir branch with 100lb test braided fishing line. Snag a pork chop onto the hook and leave it hanging 4 to 5 feet above the ground. You still have to dispatch the coyote but it cuts down all the waiting in the dark. This is not a good option with dogs loose in the neighborhood. It is also not likely to be legal in MA but it is indeed effective. Or you can get a LLama. Llamas don't like coyotes and will fight them off.

After considering, bows, crossbows, a 50 cal air rifle, and trapping, a person in an official capacity gave the advice recommended above except that chicken was the bait on a huge hook. There is no point in putting your LTC in jeopardy over this.

We had a young kitten snatched from inside our house by a coyote after an almost latched door blew open. Only some tufts of fur remained and our son was a toddler at the time.

That's my point. Stitch up the dog instead of burying the child.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Put a domestic animal at risk of being attacked by a pack of coyotes. Then end up either having a dead dog or one that will result in huge vet bills and animals right activists harassing you to no end.

Bow, dig, bury, done. Nobody gets hurt and it won't cost anything. Get a trap camera and see when they come around, and set up at that time. I will come and do it. Just set a trap camera, and tell me when it's coming around.

bow would be good if there are no dogs loose you could do poison.

i dont think they would go near a dog unless there is more than one of them i seriously think my shepard would croak a lone one if it was stupid enough to go after her but its a rather vicous dog to pepole and animals it dosent know.

maybe if you see it get it in the rump with an air rifle i doubt it would come back after that a couple of times

if your in the yard with the kid and see the thing just shoot it and call the police and animal control and say it was acting odd and you thought it had rabies and it came to close

Guns, bows, shovels all work for me, but probably not PC, and could be big legal trouble if someone calls the law. Some of the dogs listed above are on the insurance $h!t list and may cost you your homeowners' policy. But there are some breeds like the Great Pyrenees that absolutely hate wolves and all their relatives, and are big enough to kick lupine butt. Check out these guys:
http://www.bigfluffydogs.com

Back
Top Bottom