• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about the Clinton AWB and potential new legislation

I have a few questions about Clinton’s Assault Weapons Ban.

How much warning were gun owners given back in those days (I was out of the country at the time)?

Would the purchase of a stripped AR lower prior to the ban have allowed the lower to be legal if assembled later? I would have though the answer would be "yes"...however, I have read some conflicting info on the subject.

I ask this because I am considering picking up an additional lower considering the current political climate.

I am aware of that. My question is asked because I am considering picking up a lower before Deval/Fed Dems enact a total ban on new ARs. I also recognize that know one can know what the future may hold...hence, my inquiry of Clinton's past efforts.

NO, BATFE ruled that it had to be a shootable gun or "kit" with all the critical parts before the cut-off date. I do not recall, but suspect that they had 3-6 months "heads up" time.

New laws do NOT have to follow what was done before. MA could pass a retroactive law banning what we have now, confiscating them or offering $25/gun and I'm sure that our courts would find it constitutional!

Len,

How reasonable to believe it would be to pick up a lower considering our current political climate?

Personal preference would be to pickup a real pre-ban from ARfcom if I didn't have one already. The collapsible stock is a real boon to different shooters or wearing different clothes (summer vs. winter).

The AWB is not going to go away here, so you won't have a legal opportunity to build up a pre-ban config even if a new ban is in the wings. I also can't predict the future, so it's anyone's guess.

Has Patrick said he was going to BAN AR's/AK's? I have heard nothing more then his plan to reduce gun buys to one a month and put tougher restrictions on gun shows.

I have not heard ANYTHING about a ban on AR's or AK's.

And yes... there would be nothing stopping them from placing a total ban and requiring owners to surender them. Although I would HOPE that the NRA and FED would jump in on that one. For whatever good it will do.

IMO depending on how they set it up they can pretty much ban stuff
instantaneously. I highly doubt the ban being retroactive, because
that would probably cost them money in terms of enforcement and
confiscation. It's easy for them to ban "new" sales or transfer of
something, but a lot harder to justify them taking someones property
away.

IMO, one can afford to wait until they actually announce something, but
on the other hand, in MA anything thats "black" or "evil" should always be
highest on your acquisition lists anyways. Exempt handguns and
preban magazines and rifles, for instance, are only going to get rarer.
Eventually these guns and mags will end up in the hands of people that
won't sell them, and that effectively takes them out of the market
forever.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom