Question about transporting firearms during cross country move

Salyeica

NES Member
The time has come for me to leave MA for freer pastures, so I’ll be moving to Utah at the end of July.

I’m trying to determine my best course of action for moving my firearms, and I’m wavering between tossing them in the car with me when I leave (I’m transporting ammo, so what’s the diff?), and shipping them via FFL.

My collection would be called an Arsenal by most media outlets, but NES would refer to it as a “range trip”. So it wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive to ship them. My driving route (90/80) will take me through states that aren’t so FOPA friendly, so maybe that is all I need to consider, but I thought I’d pose the question the those better informed than me. If the FFL route is smarter, I would welcome recommendations.

Thanks for any feedback!

When I moved back to PA I just put them in the back of my truck and drove them. If you can fit them in your car thats what I would do, f*** that FFL route. That's a lot of paperwork and also some items that you may not want registered would be registered. BTW, if you can fit them all in your car, your collection needs a boost.

Carry 2 copies of FOPA and regs for transport in your car/vehicle.......

Take 70......easiest/most gun friendly......treat Illinois as if it were NY.....drive through and dont stop if possible......otherwise you're pretty much good to go once in Pa......oh....and dont stop in Denver/Boulder.....

I-70 looks like a chore compared to I-80, doesn’t it? Not looking for the scenic route, only the quickest (northern UT, btw). Figure I’d go MA to Toledo, Toledo to Lincoln, NE and Lincoln to Logan, UT. That might be too aggressive a timeline, though. Taking the moving truck out the same route in a couple weeks, so I’ll be able to scout it.

Don’t put any stickers on your car saying you have guns. Don’t hang them out the window. When you stop don’t tell anyone. Obey the speed limit and don’t do stupid things and you’ll be ok.

I-70 looks like a chore compared to I-80, doesn’t it? Not looking for the scenic route, only the quickest (northern UT, btw). Figure I’d go MA to Toledo, Toledo to Lincoln, NE and Lincoln to Logan, UT. That might be too aggressive a timeline, though. Taking the moving truck out the same route in a couple weeks, so I’ll be able to scout it.

I drove from Vail back to MA. I chose 70 only due to winter weather. 90 to 80 is obviously the right choice.

The time has come for me to leave MA for freer pastures, so I’ll be moving to Utah at the end of July.

I’m trying to determine my best course of action for moving my firearms, and I’m wavering between tossing them in the car with me when I leave (I’m transporting ammo, so what’s the diff?), and shipping them via FFL.

My collection would be called an Arsenal by most media outlets, but NES would refer to it as a “range trip”. So it wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive to ship them. My driving route (90/80) will take me through states that aren’t so FOPA friendly, so maybe that is all I need to consider, but I thought I’d pose the question the those better informed than me. If the FFL route is smarter, I would welcome recommendations.

Thanks for any feedback!

I moved back to Mass from Utah (I know :rolleyes: ) for reasons of responsibility I chose not to ignore. The Utah resident CCW is honored in most of the states I crossed through though not all. The non resident Utah permit has a few more restricted states but still covers most depending on your route.

Get a non resident Utah CCW, it's not hard or expensive, and relieve a lot of your worries. Just plan on driving nonstop through the a..hole states.

Stock up on booze before you leave....

The liquor stores are state run, much like New Hampshire, they are however well stocked...better than most "packies" here in Mass. Great selections, low end to high end on everything (amazing Tequila selection...better than in Vegas). Beer is sold per bottle, no cheaper to buy a case than a single. The problem is drinking in bars. Most require a "membership". Restaurants are okay but only one drink I front of you at a time. Order a "side car" (shot on the side) to stiffen their strict pour. You will not see your drink being poured. There is a "shield" law so as to not corrupt the children who might be dining at the establishment.

The liquor stores are state run, much like New Hampshire, they are however well stocked...better than most "packies" here in Mass. Great selections, low end to high end on everything (amazing Tequila selection...better than in Vegas). Beer is sold per bottle, no cheaper to buy a case than a single. The problem is drinking in bars. Most require a "membership". Restaurants are okay but only one drink I front of you at a time. Order a "side car" (shot on the side) to stiffen their strict pour. You will not see your drink being poured. There is a "shield" law so as to not corrupt the children who might be dining at the establishment.

A lot of that crap with the zion curtain etc has changed there in the past 2-3 years may be a tad different now...

-Mike

I moved from MA to NV a couple of years ago.

I had my German Shepherd doing circles in the back of my car driving here, so I couldn't bring much of anything with me.

I shipped the ammo with Fedex which wasn't cheap (~$600 to ship ~20k rounds in a bunch of small but heavy boxes). One of the boxes got destroyed in transit, so it got repackaged somewhere, but it all made it to my new house.

I shipped the contents of my house with Mayflower and they moved the guns for me. Rifles/Shotguns went in locked hard shell rifle cases and handguns went in a couple of fairly sturdy plastic containers that I got from Home Depot (with pad locks on them). Mayflower wouldn't take any ammo or gun powder etc.. but they had no problem taking the guns. They all made it here undamaged, so I have no complaints.

Thanks for any feedback!
OK. Our three bolt action rifles and three Remington 870 shotguns, along with about 600 rounds of ammo, were locked in our safe. The safe entered the U-Haul first, followed by the rest of the stuff that had sentimental value. We left the rest for the movers. We moved from Alabama to Massachusetts, going through Georgia, Tennessee, Maryland, Pennsylvania, NY state and Connecticut. Avoid 95. Stay away from NYC and NJ. Follow the FOPA rules. Make sure license and registration, along with headlights, taillights and turn signals are up to date and fully functional. Have your wife and kids in the vehicle next to you. Obey speed limits. Drive safely and enjoy the trip!

stay out of NJ and NY (as much as you can) Go thru PA instead. And stay clear of shitcago too. obviously, no Canada either

Parking at a hotel at night...unless you want to move your arsenal into the hotel room with you...i would invest in some sort of wireless alarm that will alert you if there is a break in of your truck....

as stated above, some sort of heavy safe is a great idea!

upload_2019-6-6_18-46-56.png

upload_2019-6-6_18-47-27.png

i have driven out that way lots of times. this is probably the route with the least bullshit

If you like bourbon, a side detour thru Louisville might be justified...to load up. just pull into any "Liquor Barn" that is convenient.

Your ez-pass transponder will stop working at the Mississippi river

plan on three days to make it out to Denver.

Thru PA, and Kansas to Denver, watch for deer/elk late at night. Lots of cops in Indianapolis too

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-6_18-44-56.png
    upload_2019-6-6_18-44-56.png
    83 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
When we moved to Colorado, we used our truck camper and my wife's car. Most of my guns and all of ammo were in the truck and truck camper. Drove 90 to 80 to 76. Spent one night in NY (near Rochester), second night in Rock Island Illinois, third night in Nebraska. Never got pulled over, no issues. Don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine.

Too much time in NY and you touch NJ with your route. 84 through CT into NY to 81 and down into PA. That gives you the absolute minimum amount of time in NY/NJ. I drove from Dallas back to MA with a bunch of firearms and I came up 81 the entire length til I hit 84 and then across.

Personally I would travel 80 across PA and not 76/70. Cops on PA turnpike, truckers on 80. You can drop down once you get into OH. Lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years so I have traveled across PA into CT more times than I can count.

You will also be able to carry a lot of the route. PA no longer because of Dim AG, but OH, IN, MO, KS and UT.

stay out of NJ and NY (as much as you can) Go thru PA instead. And stay clear of shitcago too. obviously, no Canada either

Parking at a hotel at night...unless you want to move your arsenal into the hotel room with you...i would invest in some sort of wireless alarm that will alert you if there is a break in of your truck....

as stated above, some sort of heavy safe is a great idea!

View attachment 287932

View attachment 287933

i have driven out that way lots of times. this is probably the route with the least bullshit

If you like bourbon, a side detour thru Louisville might be justified...to load up. just pull into any "Liquor Barn" that is convenient.

Your ez-pass transponder will stop working at the Mississippi river

plan on three days to make it out to Denver.

Thru PA, and Kansas to Denver, watch for deer/elk late at night. Lots of cops in Indianapolis too

The matamoras transit 84 across NY state is easy, it's about an hour and if you stay within 10 of the limit you'll get ignored.... it's a pretty drive anyway no need to rush. Save the throttle for the long stretches later.

Too much time in NY and you touch NJ with your route. 84 through CT into NY to 81 and down into PA. That gives you the absolute minimum amount of time in NY/NJ. I drove from Dallas back to MA with a bunch of firearms and I came up 81 the entire length til I hit 84 and then across.

Personally I would travel 80 across PA and not 76/70. Cops on PA turnpike, truckers on 80. You can drop down once you get into OH. Lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years so I have traveled across PA into CT more times than I can count.

You will also be able to carry a lot of the route. PA no longer because of Dim AG, but OH, IN, MO, KS and UT.
you are right. go 84 thru danbury ct. I could not read that part of the map, i meant to go danbury. You DO go thru about 40 miles of NY state, but that is pretty much the shortest route thru enemy territory there is. gas up before you hit NY state, so you do not have to stop

I would take safes and guns in same trip, or Id get a metal locking box - ie cabinet with a big padlock, whatever completely obscures whats in it that also a cop cant break without special tools, and Id lock them in it for the trip and would refuse to open it under any condition outside of a warrant.

If I only owned a car Id rent a van or uhaul, trailer, whatever, lock that too. Big difference between having access to guns and having them locked up, and a big difference in what police can do, even if you were breaking the law which you arent, when they have no permission or potential access/sight.

I guess Id also add simple things to avoid trouble, make sure lights and vehicle is all appearing tip top, stop at stop signs and dont cut it close on traffic lights, turn signals, speed of traffic or no more than 5 over, dont be high beaming - basically drive nice.

Last edited:
Ya Utah and booze are a nonstarter. I had to hang out with insane lefties in Salt Lake City just to get a real drink. The bar culture is the underground there. Guns however, are as welcome as swanky over priced bars in Boston :)

Last edited:
Another reason to go 84 instead of 90 through NY is tolls, NYS Thruway will absolutely ream you on tolls because they're expensive to begin with and they surcharge per-axle. When I moved from Rochester to Boston with a U-haul box truck and my car in-tow the NY part of the toll was above $50!

I would take safes and guns in same trip, or Id get a metal locking box - ie cabinet with a big padlock, whatever completely obscures whats in it that also a cop cant break without special tools, and Id lock them in it for the trip and would refuse to open it under any condition outside of a warrant.

If I only owned a car Id rent a van or uhaul, trailer, whatever, lock that too. Big difference between having access to guns and having them locked up, and a big difference in what police can do, even if you were breaking the law which you arent, when they have no permission or potential access/sight.

I guess Id also add simple things to avoid trouble, make sure lights and vehicle is all appearing tip top, stop at stop signs and dont cut it close on traffic lights, turn signals, speed of traffic or no more than 5 over, dont be high beaming - basically drive nice.

You're covering all the bases here but this post is a bit paranoid. Heck Ive gotten complacent to the point I rarely even follow FOPA anymore. In the 10 or so times I've been pulled over on interstates I've not ever been once asked if I have firearms and have only been issued one citation.

Back
Top Bottom