Question about transporting firearms during cross country move

My GF is moving before me to start her new job, so I’m taking a moving truck out in a couple weeks with all the furnishings, etc., then flying back to spend July here tying up loose ends with work.

Utah is obviously 2A friendly, and there are no licensure issues for ownership, but I’m not sure I want to bring the firearms out on the moving truck and leave them with her (save for my carry piece) for a month while I’m back in MA. That leaves me with the option of trekking them out in the SUV at the end of July. My current safe would fit in the car, but it wouldn’t leave much room for the other stuff I planned on keeping with me for that final month.

You're covering all the bases here but this post is a bit paranoid. Heck Ive gotten complacent to the point I rarely even follow FOPA anymore. In the 10 or so times I've been pulled over on interstates I've not ever been once asked if I have firearms and have only been issued one citation.

Yes its paranoid but then such precautions are not hard to take and lawyers are very expensive.

Lots of good advice, but there’s one thing I’m surprised nobody has mentioned. Step 1 is to sell all of your off-roster pistols, preban firearms/magazines and pre-Healey ARs. That is, unless you think you may return to MA. Then hold onto them like Amazon stock in 1997.

My GF is moving before me to start her new job, so I’m taking a moving truck out in a couple weeks with all the furnishings, etc., then flying back to spend July here tying up loose ends with work.

Utah is obviously 2A friendly, and there are no licensure issues for ownership, but I’m not sure I want to bring the firearms out on the moving truck and leave them with her (save for my carry piece) for a month while I’m back in MA. That leaves me with the option of trekking them out in the SUV at the end of July. My current safe would fit in the car, but it wouldn’t leave much room for the other stuff I planned on keeping with me for that final month.
You don't trust your GF with your guns for a month but do with all your other shit?

Of course I trust her. But as Ultrarunner says, the other shit is easier and less of a headache to replace.

Lots of good advice, but there’s one thing I’m surprised nobody has mentioned. Step 1 is to sell all of your off-roster pistols, preban firearms/magazines and pre-Healey ARs. That is, unless you think you may return to MA. Then hold onto them like Amazon stock in 1997.

[laugh2]

We leave no one behind

Why? So he can lose money on the transactional costs? [laugh]

-Mike

Of course I trust her. But as Ultrarunner says, the other shit is easier and less of a headache to replace.

You may be surprised at the accommodating legal attitude toward 2A rights in Utah. Private sellers are only required to verify state residency of the buyer. No paperwork required though. Most private sellers will require a resident Utah CCW for hand gun purchases...long guns, not so much. Many will want a bill of sale and your CCW License number to cover their butts though.

Once you are in a stable address, report it to the authorities. Once that is done and verified, "lose" your "non resident" Utah CCW, report it lost or otherwise destroyed and the state will issue a replacement for small fee (literally), most likely within a week or so, and you can tweak your collection (by state law) at will...no questions asked...or uninvited scrutiny.

Before a deranged eastern European Muslim a$$hole shot up a mall 10 or 12 years ago, the local SLC media supported an online classified portal specifically for firearms. No more. Now there are other independent online sources for FTF transactions.

Ad Listings - Utah Gun Exchange
Utah Gun Classifieds | Guns and Ammunition
ARMSLIST - Utah Firearms Classifieds

Some info on the laws.

Purchasing & Selling Firearms - Utah Carry Laws

Last edited:
The matamoras transit 84 across NY state is easy, it's about an hour and if you stay within 10 of the limit you'll get ignored.... it's a pretty drive anyway no need to rush. Save the throttle for the long stretches later.

Ditto. There is a Hampton Inn in Matamoras, with a Perkins about a hundred yards away (great breakfast, any time of the day). I would not spend the night in a hotel in NY or NJ, or any other state where you aren't licensed to carry.

If it's work related then everything's tax deductible right? How about a RV rental, then you can go all Walter White if necessary.

Good luck and if you happen to see Mittens, tell him a large population of Massachusetts residence hopes he comes down with anal warts.

Last edited:
as i've said before, i did the drive back east from colorado. just threw all my guns in the truck and took off. maybe i'm brain dead but never gave it another thought once i started driving. if one is that paranoid about the trip with guns, well, that's the person who's gonna get pulled over for some stupid thing. just sayin', i even stopped in new jersey at this ice cream place i like for a quick snack and break. playing with fire? maybe. i had a pleasant trip. only rule i followed is stay in the traffic flow, not at the speed limit and not speeding and making erratic lane changes. and always use your turn signals when you do change lanes or make a turn. silly, yes, but the one excuse local cops use to stop out of state drivers when they feel snarky.

You aren't planing on taking any pre-ban standard capacity AR magazines out of the state, are you? I'm sure many members (including myself) would love to buy them from you to keep them here, where production date matters...

Then you can turn around with what you get and buy twice as many brand new, modern, standard capacity magazines in your new home. P-Mag time!

You aren't planing on taking any pre-ban standard capacity AR magazines out of the state, are you? I'm sure many members (including myself) would love to buy them from you to keep them here, where production date matters...

Then you can turn around with what you get and buy twice as many brand new, modern, standard capacity magazines in your new home. P-Mag time!

Long gone...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but have some hypotheticals to ask for a friend.

*What if the firearms are locked in containers, packed in a vehicle, which is shipped (on an open truck) from MA?
* What if same as above, except driven by service or friend free-ish states only (ie, owner of vehicle met driver/service in PA who continued journey from there?

In both scenarios, owner would be on other end to re-possess vehicle and contents from driver or delivery service.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but have some hypotheticals to ask for a friend.

*What if the firearms are locked in containers, packed in a vehicle, which is shipped (on an open truck) from MA?
* What if same as above, except driven by service or friend free-ish states only (ie, owner of vehicle met driver/service in PA who continued journey from there?

In both scenarios, owner would be on other end to re-possess vehicle and contents from driver or delivery service.

Specific to Pennsylvania and I’m going to assume most states I can lend a gun to anybody I want. I lent a shotty and an AR to a friend for a whole year to shoot three gun. So if you want to hire somebody to transport your stuff and get it back it’s certainly legal.

Back
Top Bottom