Question for those who run red dots on pistols

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
My gen 5 glock 45 MOS.

I got good windage, but elevation I'm bottoming out and still 3 in high.

Thoughts on how to get the dot lower on the slide? Are there aftermarket slimmer plates available?

My gen 5 glock 45 MOS.

I got good bondage, but elevation I'm bottoming out and still 3 in high.

Thoughts on how to get the dot lower on the slide? Are there aftermarket slimmer plates available?
Are you running the Glock adapter? What sight, I have the most experience with RMR, ACRO and Shield and they have insane amounts of adjustment.

Holosun 507c

In the plate for it that came with the slide.

I'm planning on taking the holosun to my g26 slide that's milled for it. It could be that the standard plate is pushing the optic up too high off the slide?

Attachments

• 20220215_145509.jpg
    20220215_145509.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 5
Holosun 507c

In the plate for it that came with the slide.

I'm planning on taking the holosun to my g26 slide that's milled for it. It could be that the standard plate is pushing the optic up too high off the slide?
Could be an optical illusion or the way the sight is designed, but it does not look straight.

Screenshot_20220512-085825_Gallery.jpg

Assuming the dots ok then It’s not how high/low it sits in the slide but rather some tilt front to back that would cause such an issue.
Either machining or shimming the base to compensate the angle would be in order.
Sounds odd though, seems it would have be extreme enough of an off angle that you’d be able to see it…

Assuming the dots ok then It’s not how high/low it sits in the slide but rather some tilt front to back that would cause such an issue.
Either machining or shimming the base to compensate the angle would be in order.
Sounds odd though, seems it would have be extreme enough of an off angle that you’d be able to see it…
It would only take less than half a degree tilt to be off 3" at 30 feet. Even less if the zero target is further away.

The back of it's a 32nd of an inch off.

Attachments

• 20220512_093852.jpg
    20220512_093852.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220512_093726.jpg
    20220512_093726.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220512_093657.jpg
    20220512_093657.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 3
I know that if you torque the dot to the plate wrong, or use the wrong screws, you can actually lift the plate off the slide. That may be causing your issue.

The MOS design is terrible for RMR type dots. You could try one of the aftermarket plates, that could help.

Ya that plate looks horrible. Who makes it? May be as simple as getting a new plate.
It was from glock direct. I ordered replacement plates.

Ordered these.

I took the same sight and put it on a milled slide for my 26, and it's flat and square.

I know that if you torque the dot to the plate wrong, or use the wrong screws, you can actually lift the plate off the slide. That may be causing your issue.

The MOS design is terrible for RMR type dots. You could try one of the aftermarket plates, that could help.
Thanks for the insight.

I ordered the ones in the link in the above post at the recommendation of a friend who has more red dots on pistols then people on this forum

Ordered these.

I took the same sight and put it on a milled slide for my 26, and it's flat and square.
That's the plate I use. I don't think the factory MOS plate worked with my 509t.

Ordered these.

There you go. Yeah, the factory MOS plates suck.

CHPWS or forward controls design are where it’s at.

There you go. Yeah, the factory MOS plates suck.

CHPWS or forward controls design are where it’s at.

I've posted about C&H a couple of times before. They're local to me, (about 15 minutes away), and I found out about them when Beau Holly, (son of one of the owners), was shooting at a local USPSA match. They've milled three slides for me and mounted the optics directly to the slide, (all RMR footprints). They're not cheap - but they do very good work.

Found out a couple of weeks ago that a gunsmith friend of mine is doing their ceracoating after they mill the slides. He's taking in 100 slides a week or so from them - so they're pretty busy. According to my friend, they're milling slides for Walther and Glock.

If you don't want to mill slide for specific footprint, they also make very reputable adapter plates.

Have a Gen 4 G17 MOS and Trijicon RMR. The Trijicon came with multiple adapter plates depending on the pistol it is mounted to. The Glock plate and screws worked perfectly and I have had zero issues with it. As others have said, if you mount the optic to another platform and it functions normally, than it is the mounting hardware/plate or the slide that is the issue.

I had the same issue when I installed a hollow sun 509T on my Glock 45 MOS. I returned the site to hollow sun and the replacement 509T they shipped me zeroed perfectly at 15 yards on my gun the first site was about 2 1/2 to 3 inches high with the elevation bottomed out

I had the same issue . . .

Problem solved. Amazon purchase

Ade Advanced Optics Optics Delrin Shims 1.0 Degree for Vortex Venom & Viper, Burris Fastfire II, III,Red dot Sight​

Visit the Ade Advanced Optics Store

$12.99$12.99
Serious question. Is this a carry gun for you guys who are purchasing the less expensive RDS's like Holosun or range toys? The reason I ask is that Holosun is a Chinese company. They don't design anything new/novel, just copy from the industry leaders who tend to be US companies. Their manufacturing is sub standard, like just about every Chinese company in existence, likely due to the corrupt nature of Communism/Capitalism in China. Do you guys really plan on trusting your life to a crappy Chinese company? I get the whole skin-flint idea for range toys and all, but...

Serious question. Is this a carry gun for you guys who are purchasing the less expensive RDS's like Holosun or range toys? The reason I ask is that Holosun is a Chinese company. They don't design anything new/novel, just copy from the industry leaders who tend to be US companies. Their manufacturing is sub standard, like just about every Chinese company in existence, likely due to the corrupt nature of Communism/Capitalism in China. Do you guys really plan on trusting your life to a crappy Chinese company? I get the whole skin-flint idea for range toys and all, but...
I am with you on not directly supporting China's military R&D, and I hate to admit it, but Holoson has produced some neat tech that I wish an American company would have come up with, even if it were twice as expensive as it likely would be.

I am with you on not directly supporting China's military R&D, and I hate to admit it, but Holoson has produced some neat tech that I wish an American company would have come up with, even if it were twice as expensive as it likely would be.

I know this belongs in another thread, but I would rather pay double or triple for a well-made US product that a cheaper Chinese knockoff. I generally felt that way before Covid. Since Covid, I'm of the mind to say "F**k China in the A$$" as I 100% believe they let the virus loose on the world through shear incompetence or some greater plan to screw the US and the current economic/monetary system. I refuse to purchase anything that supports China and fully believe we'll be at war with them within the next 20 years. Likely sooner if they move on Taiwan.

Anyway, I know it's tough to find not-made-in-China in everyday items, but when it comes to guns and accessories at least, it's an easy choice.

I know this belongs in another thread, but I would rather pay double or triple for a well-made US product that a cheaper Chinese knockoff. I generally felt that way before Covid. Since Covid, I'm of the mind to say "F**k China in the A$$" as I 100% believe they let the virus loose on the world through shear incompetence or some greater plan to screw the US and the current economic/monetary system. I refuse to purchase anything that supports China and fully believe we'll be at war with them within the next 20 years. Likely sooner if they move on Taiwan.

Anyway, I know it's tough to find not-made-in-China in everyday items, but when it comes to guns and accessories at least, it's an easy choice.
I am with you man. I was just pointing out that some of their micro red dots are pretty cool, even if I wouldn't buy one.

If that's a 507C (1.78" long), then you're at 1.0058 degrees cant.
Hence the question and ways to resolve it, I know it's not me cause on literally any gun i own besides what that was set up with, I know I'm a decent shot. But even in the hands of someone who's a better shot and it does the same exact thing to me - made me question the set up and put it under a microscope to look at this.

Back
Top Bottom