• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question For Those Who Wear Glasses

Pete85

NES Member
After my most recent eye Dr. appointment, I'm now seeing much better through my brand new glasses. Old doc said I didn't need them, new doc said I probably should have had them for the past 10 years. After trying them out, I agree with the new doc. Anyways, for the question: For those of you who wear your eyeglasses while shooting, what do you use for eye safety? Glasses, goggles, any specific brands to use/avoid? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Depends, the glasses are polycarb so sometimes just them, sometimes other eye protection on top of those.

Make sure you can shoot with and without your glasses on, you can't call time out in a bad situation.

I wear M-frames with prescription inserts behind them. Since I always have 2 pair (one dark lense, 1 clear) I just swap them back and forth as needed.

I wear my regular polycarbonate gradient bifocals with a pair of sideshields added. There are only two basic sizes of eyeglasses, so you are assurred of a good fit whether you are wearing narrow frames or full-size.

http://www.sideshield.com/b26.shtml

I also shoot pistol using an EyePal aperture on the eye glass lens of my dominant eye. It gives much-improved depth of field, so I am able to see a crisp image from the rear sight to the target.

I'm about to place an order for the ESS Crossbow with prescription inserts. My only issue with them is the inserts. When my head is angled down to aim down the sites, I don't know if Ill be looking on the edge of the inserts. That's why my other option is going to be a set of Oakley M-frames with the Rx built into the lens itself. I might just go with the ESS as a back up pair, buy them first, and buy the oakley's later.

ESS ICE glasses with Rx inserts. There is a very long thread here on them . . . just be aware that the vB SW will not successfully search on 1-3 character strings. Perhaps "glasses" in the title might get you there.

At any rate, I used to wear just my daily glasses . . . then a hot case hit them dead-center and burned off the anti-glare coating where it hit. Therefore the ESS ICE from then onward. They come with 3 color outer lenses which are easily (and cheaply) replaceable.

I use progressive lenses normally but for shooting I had a pair of single prescription safety glasses with side shields made up at Walmart. I used my distance prescription.

Order contacts and wear safety glasses at the range, I find that my regular glasses even with the "anti-scratch"coating bs they SELL to ya they still get scratched up, So save the glasses and get contacts (if you can were them, Some ppl have a hard time with them)

I wear contacts and Rudy Project Glasses. I just don't trust regular glasses as safety glasses. I also like the way the tint of the glasses amplify the light while shooting. I have the photochromatic rydon red lenses I believe.

I wear my regular glasses...but probably should do something else. I've been thinking about getting a pair of rx shooting glasses. I wore contacts for a while, but even with extremely liberal application of eyedrops, they still dried the hell out of my eyes and drove me up a wall. They were, at the time (2 years ago or so) the best contacts for dry eyes I could get. Oh well.

If you go for inserts request that they be made "safety thickness" (3mm at the thinnest point). The lab may balk at this since the insert may not be considered a "safety frame". Since the inserts are rather small in terms of lens size the added thickness should not be too bad.

On polycarbonate, I was never a fan of it. It scratches way too easily, even with the coatings.

I used chem goggles when I went to the range yesterday and they did the job fine. I did notice that wearing my glasses, my aim with my PPS tended to be a few inches lower at self defense range than without them though.

I am stone blind without my eyeglasses. I have never had luck with contacts, and never felt cool enough to wear M-Frames. Currently I've been wearing my regular glasses when shooting the 22, and with anything else, I'll throw on a cheap pair of safety glasses. I will probably be ordering a pair of Oakley Bottlecaps in Rx, to replace my aging glass lensed sunglasses.

i used to just wear my oakley jackknife glasses when i shot, and sometimes my Rx gascans when it was sunny until last time i was shooting my dads G19, a spent casing hit me in the right lens up high enough that it may have hit me in the eye had i been wearing my eyeglasses. now i wear either my gascans or if it isnt bright i will wear contacts and safety glasses.

I've got a pair of Bolle Vigalantes. They are great. They have an insert for blind people like me, and the lenses are changeable: red, brown, grey and clear. Makes it easier when the lighting is different. And the insert is removeable if you need to lend them to someone who didn't listen about bringing eye protection.

My first pair of glasses broke when I was a kid and the case seperated on a .25 and came back and hit me in the eye(glasses). Ever since then I've worn glasses when shooting. If only I was as good about wearing hearing protection when I was younger, I may not be as deaf as I am.

I shoot pistol for clarification: anyone here farsighted and shoots with corrective lenses. Just got back for the eye doc and thought he'd have a solution. Basically coreective lenses make the sights crystal clear but the target, even at 25 ft is blurry, never mind 50'. I just purchased the Revision Eyewear Ballistic Sawfly shooting glass with the RX insert and he's basically telling me not to waste the $$ on the inserts. Any input

+1
I wear these with no inserts and know a few people who wore these with in Rx inserts.

ESS ICE glasses with Rx inserts. There is a very long thread here on them . . . just be aware that the vB SW will not successfully search on 1-3 character strings. Perhaps "glasses" in the title might get you there.

At any rate, I used to wear just my daily glasses . . . then a hot case hit them dead-center and burned off the anti-glare coating where it hit. Therefore the ESS ICE from then onward. They come with 3 color outer lenses which are easily (and cheaply) replaceable.

ess%20ice%20insert.jpg

I wear either my regular glasses (with progressive lenses) or the bifocals that I use for my computer/desk work. I prefer the bifocals, since most gun sights are at arm's length, and the entire top part of the bifocals are ground to give me focus at that distance. That way I don't have to hunt for the "sweet spot" like I do with my progressive lenses. My glasses are also the large "aviator" style, not the small rectangular fashionable ones. I've reached the age where comfort and safety trump fashion. [laugh] I've also started using plastic sideshields, the kind that just slide onto the ear pieces, for a little added safety.

I wear a pair of plain cheap shooting glasses over my frames. It looks super nerdy, but it keeps my glasses from getting scratched up. I tried shooting with just my glasses, but my frames are too small to protect my eyes adequately.

Someday when I can afford it, I'll get prescription shooting glasses, but for now I don't mind looking incredibly dorky.

If you can spare 30 seconds in the morning and night, I'd go with contacts. The first week you may need up to 5 mins to get them in and out, but after that you can do them in seconds with no mirror. I have both glasses and contacts, but I only wear the glasses when I'm feeling lazy.

I was in the MC and was issued the ESS glasses with the inserts. I didn't like them very much. The inserts would often press into my eyesockets, or sit even with my brow allowing sweat to leak onto the inserts, and it became a hassle to take the inserts off the glasses to clean them etc... as well as the inserts not sitting properly in place. I ended up getting a pair of Oakley M Frames with the prescription lenses integral with the rest of the lense, so it at least eliminated one of the steps. I got them about 2 years ago, and I'm still using them now without any trouble. Short of getting eye surgery I'd say that be your best bet, although they're kind of expensive.

Back
Top Bottom