question: MA resident with MA gun, living in NJ, but leaves gun at NJ home

Hypothetical situation. Asking for someone.

Let us say you are a Massachusetts resident, but you work in New Jersey, and live in an apartment there (so you don't have a 5 hr commute).

Legally, can you keep a handgun at home (the NJ apartment)?

I know that he'd normally need a Permit to Carry to possess, but first this is a Massachusetts bought firearm
and secondly I've read that:
"however, no Permit to Carry or FID is required:
To keep or carry any firearm about a person’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location."

So if he gets employed by the company in New Jersey, and he rents an apartment in NJ but he's still a Massachusetts resident...
... and he brings his Massachusetts handgun and has it at his place in NJ in which he is staying.

I mean that's his plan... but I feel like it might not be a good idea...

Is this legal? I'm under the impression NJ is extremely restrictive on guns. Makes Massachusetts look gun-friendly.
Would it be better to leave the gun at home (in MA) and just keep fingers crossed?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Not from NJ and not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth. My reading of handgunlaw.us makes me think you would need a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPIC), even though you're from out of state. This is not the same thing as a carry permit. An FPIC sounds like MA's restricted LTC, but again I'm not sure.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf
NJ Possesssion of Handgun Pistol Revolver Unlicensed Without a Permit or License Lawyers Attorneys

You may recall the story about the Utah guy who got charged with possession without a license when his plane was diverted to NJ and he spent the night. When he tried to recheck his firearm, he got arrested. NJ takes the full retard dial to 11.

SCOTUS Declines to Hear Airport Gun Arrest Appeal

Thanks for the reply!

I'll tell my friend he needs to do more research, leave the gun in MA, or sell it off...

Though, it makes me wonder, if he was officially a NJ resident, would his MA gun have to be sold off if he didn't get NJ FID?

The way NJ is, I would talk to a NJ lawyer who deal with firearms laws before I do anything.

He can store his gun in MA with someone who is licensed. I'm not sure what the rules are for bringing firearms into NJ when you move there and become a resident, though.

I see. So he can keep it in MA, and then become a NJ resident, get all the permits required for NJ, and then bring the gun into the state as a legal NJ gun owner with a handgun? Will it become illegal in the process?

I see. So he can keep it in MA, and then become a NJ resident, get all the permits required for NJ, and then bring the gun into the state as a legal NJ gun owner with a handgun? Will it become illegal in the process?

Your buddy needs to do some digging. No one from NJ has spoken up here yet, and I don't personally know the NJ laws very well. Here are some links.

Moving to NJ - New Jersey Gun Forums
New Jersey State Police - FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions
NRA-ILA | New Jersey

Start at the first site and spend some time there.

Be very, very careful with regard to bringing guns into NJ. If you are not licensed there, and you are found in possession of a firearm, they do prosecute.

Source: Have relatives there that personally know of a person that was convicted, and he was licensed in a bordering state (DE). NJ does not care and will happily lock you up!

Back
Top Bottom