• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question on mail order black powder - MASS

Ae1m

NES Member
I use Blackhorn 209 black powder powder for my muzzleloader. Cabela’s website will not let you order it for shipment to home OR for shipment to their store for pickup. They insist it’s illegal for MA residents to buy online, and they extend that belief that ordering for pickup also violates that law. They say it counts as ammo which they say MA residents cannot buy online.

Here is the email, I remind you the thread (didnt include the whole long back and forth) but this is for black powder, not ammunition.

Comments about the legality? Other online retailers will sell it online although the associated hazmat fees are steep.

Bob,

Thank you for your response. It does sound kind of silly but our retail locations are able to order the ammunition for their inventory and sell within their store in your state. Individuals however, are not able to purchase online even if shipping to the retail location. This is a state restriction that disallows any purchases from customers online regardless of where they are shipping to. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would recommend contacting that retail location to see if they have any updates on when they may be expecting another shipment in. They may be able to give you an estimated time frame.

Thank you for choosing Bass Pro Shops. Have a great evening!

Best Regards,
Chelsie
Bass Pro Shops | Customer Service
2500 E. Kearney
Springfield MO 65898

Give us a call: 1-800-227-7776 Domestic | 417-863-2499 International

I use Blackhorn 209 black powder powder for my muzzleloader. Cabela’s website will not let you order it for shipment to home OR for shipment to their store for pickup. They insist it’s illegal for MA residents to buy online, and they extend that belief that ordering for pickup also violates that law. They say it counts as ammo which they say MA residents cannot buy online.

Here is the email, I remind you the thread (didnt include the whole long back and forth) but this is for black powder, not ammunition.

Comments about the legality? Other online retailers will sell it online although the associated hazmat fees are steep.

Bob,

Thank you for your response. It does sound kind of silly but our retail locations are able to order the ammunition for their inventory and sell within their store in your state. Individuals however, are not able to purchase online even if shipping to the retail location. This is a state restriction that disallows any purchases from customers online regardless of where they are shipping to. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would recommend contacting that retail location to see if they have any updates on when they may be expecting another shipment in. They may be able to give you an estimated time frame.

Best Regards,
Chelsie
2500 E. Kearney
Springfield MO 65898

Damn mail order bride's are easier than bp

Bob,

Best Regards,
Chelsie
2500 E. Kearney
Springfield MO 65898

Ship to Hooksett Bass Pro or Cabelas in Scarborough.

assuming they don't flag the CC billing address as being in MA, or that their BS store policy says no sales to MA residents

I wouldn't expect a customer service rep for a company in Missouri to know the rules and regs for every state. Especially ones as convoluted in this shithole of Assachusetts. Probably just has whatever notes the lawyers put together for her.

I agree.. how hard would it be to have it shipped to store, and then provide the LTC or whatever is needed to actually consummate the purchase. really annoying when there's something on the website you want, but they won't ship it here. You can talk to the store manager and see if he can help you get it.

also..is black powder considered "ammo component" in MA?

It's a free country. Cabela's is free to make up whatever rules they want, like you can't order stuff and ship it to a store, you must be 21 to buy ammo for your pistol caliber carbine, and you must wear a mask when you go in their store.

In the same way, you are free to shop someplace that doesn't make up stupid rules.

@Ae1m have you tried Glenn's in North Reading? He had some black powder when I was there the other day. 978-664-0588

also..is black powder considered "ammo component" in MA?
Yes, and no.

You need an FID or LTC to purchase it, but if it's used in a Primitive firearm (muzzle-loader), you do not need a LTC or FID to possess it. Of course, if you do up a fixed cartridge with BP inside, like for an old Damascus shottie, or an ancient revolver, then it's part of the ammo.....so I guess it is, then.

Clear as mud. Go......mASS [rockon][puke]

Yes, and no.

You need an FID or LTC to purchase it, but if it's used in a Primitive firearm (muzzle-loader), you do not need a LTC or FID to possess it. Of course, if you do up a fixed cartridge with BP inside, like for an old Damascus shottie, or an ancient revolver,

don't forget 45-70 and 50-70 for trapdoors!

don't forget 45-70 and 50-70 for trapdoors!
Hell, there's BP .22 that I've encountered. I had some random, "Hereyougo" brand 22, out at the range with the kids. Long rifle, shots, BB caps. Complete mishmash. Bang....bang....BANG...bang, with a big cloud of smoke. BP long rifle round. Who knows when it was made...but it still kinda went off. [laugh]

Several years back when Federal came out with it's version of the American Eagle 5.7 X 28 mm I bought to ship to the store in Maine. Mass CC with no issues. Nice drive and had Dave's BBQ for lunch. Long before the Berlin Mass store opened.

Several years back when Federal came out with it's version of the American Eagle 5.7 X 28 mm I bought to ship to the store in Maine. Mass CC with no issues. Nice drive and had Dave's BBQ for lunch. Long before the Berlin Mass store opened.

I've dined at Dave's several times after an outing at Cabelas, good food!

@Ae1m have you tried Glenn's in North Reading? He had some black powder when I was there the other day. 978-664-0588
I was there today looking, they only had this

Attachments

• 7A76F3BC-DC58-49E0-82E4-2C938E35AEF8.jpeg
    7A76F3BC-DC58-49E0-82E4-2C938E35AEF8.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 18
I don't get Cabela's. I have had this conversation with a manager at the store. You can order a gun online and ship it to the store (I did this for a rifle). Once it arrives they send you an email. You go to the store, fill out the paperwork get a NICS proceed and go home. Why can't I order ammo and show my LTC at pickup? They can't tell you or rather give you a reason other than "Corporate".

I don't get Cabela's. I have had this conversation with a manager at the store. You can order a gun online and ship it to the store (I did this for a rifle). Once it arrives they send you an email. You go to the store, fill out the paperwork get a NICS proceed and go home. Why can't I order ammo and show my LTC at pickup? They can't tell you or rather give you a reason other than "Corporate".
Store managers are kind of stuck with corporate policies, be they good or stoopid.

It is a stupid corporate policy. I previously spoke with their corporate lawyers about it and got nowhere.

Bob,
Had it at Cabelas yesterday. I know they had black powder. I remember seeing 209 on a can. Not sure if it was Blackhorn. Hodgdon was definitely there. They had about 30 plastic cans at least.

Back
Top Bottom