• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

question on New England Repeater Directory website

I have some Questions in understanding the information in the New England Repeater Directory website

www.nerepeaters.com/2m.htm

on the 2m listing of repeaters, the first ( leftmost) column is labeled "freq"

the explanation of that column header states it is the transmit/output frequency

The next column "OF" has explanation of standard offset (+/-), and states 2m has 600 Khz offset

So my dumb questions:

for example -

146.730 - NH Hollis N1IMO 88.5 TS Hillsborough 336966 N1IMO Net 2011/01/26
NH Brookline 151.4 Remote RX
NH Derry 127.3 Remote RX

So is this frequency 146.730 the receive frequency I set my radio to, and the transmit frequency is 600 khz DOWN from that ?

or do I set my receive frequency to be 146.730 PLUS 600 Khz ( up) on my radio..

and what do the "mode code" numbers ( 88.5, 151.4, 127.3) mean ? are those ctss transmit settings on my radio ? So would I save the info to 3 different channels on my radio, each with the same frequency, but with different CTSS settings ?

Your 1st example is correct. Receive on 146.730. Then set your '-' offset for the transmit frequency. The last thing you need is to program the pl tone ( basically a sub audible tone that tells the repeater you are a legitimate transmission, as opposed to interference). As you've pointed out those numbers are specified in the directory. Ie 88.5. Ignore TS for now. As an FYI there are some repeaters with no pl tone.

Last edited:
Thanks Realtor...!!!!

the enabled me to correctly set up the handheld transceiver, and I had my first successful contact and conversation as a Ham today !!

Thanks to everyone for the patience and advice in the several NEWB questions I have been posting...

KB1WDF

HikerLT

Awesome. What repeater did you work? I might be able to hit it from my qth.

Are you around tonight? TI would like to try and reach that repeater but I won't be home until later. Is it linked with other repeaters in the area?

Realtor,

sorry for the delayed reply....

I think, ( If I am reading the New England Repeaters 2m table correctly)

that Brookline and Derry repeaters are remote Rx for the Hollis repeater N1IMO

Realtor,

sorry for the delayed reply....

I think, ( If I am reading the New England Repeaters 2m table correctly)

that Brookline and Derry repeaters are remote Rx for the Hollis repeater N1IMO

Some repeaters have multiple receivers at various locations such as this one. In this case, they use the same input frequency, but different PL tones to access each input. You select which PL you want to use in order to hit the most appropriate input site.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I can hit those. Too late for tonight but maybe in the next day or two. Are they active at night?

realtor - what repeater do you usually use - where are you located ?

I'm mostly on HF. Don't really do much vhf/uhf stuff but I just got a new all mode vhf/uhf radio so I've been playihg around a little more and would like to do more with it. Simplex and SSB would be fun and I'm working on getting setup for satellite work. I live really close to the Waltham MA repeaters.
I can hit Gloucester with only a few watts so I'm pretty sure I can get up your way with some more power. I have a dual band vhf/ufh yagi with about 10db of gain. It's up at 60 feet and my qth is about 200' above sea level already.

Back
Top Bottom