• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question regarding hunting in other states.

My father posed a question I didn't have a direct answer for, so I was hoping some one in here might.

Once you have your hunter's safety certificate, if you want to go hunting in another state, do you need a non-resident firearms license just to hunt?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the umpteenth million time: handgun licenses in the majority of states are ONLY for the purposed of carrying a concealed handgun. NO OTHER PURPOSE.

They are not needed for possession of handgun. They are not needed for the possession of military-style rifles, normal capacity magazines, hunting rifles, machine guns, or anything else. The overwhelming majority of states have ZERO licensing of gun owners or firearms registration. And most of those that do do no require a license for non-residents to just visit with firearms (NYS excepted)

Even Illinois does not require out of state hunters and shooters to obtain an FOID to enter IL with firearms to hunt or to compete.

Y'all need to de-program, big time.

For the umpteenth million time: handgun licenses in the majority of states are ONLY for the purposed of carrying a concealed handgun. NO OTHER PURPOSE.

They are not needed for possession of handgun. They are not needed for the possession of military-style rifles, normal capacity magazines, hunting rifles, machine guns, or anything else. The overwhelming majority of states have ZERO licensing of gun owners or firearms registration. And most of those that do do no require a license for non-residents to just visit with firearms (NYS excepted)

Even Illinois does not require out of state hunters and shooters to obtain an FOID to enter IL with firearms to hunt or to compete.

Thanks for the uh... answer?

Just making sure, I was pretty sure that you could but wanted to verify.

Where exactly are you thinking of going?

The default assumption, when traveling outside New England, should be "I don't need to worry about licenses unless I want to carry concealed".

Some states are the exception, but going with my advice will save you a lot of unnecessary angst and worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
If by that you mean NH, VT, or ME, then no, don't worry about any licenses unless you want to carry concealed in NH or ME. I'm sure you know that you know that anyone can carry in VT w/o a license.

ETA: Don't forget the hunting license.

ETA2: Hunter safety course certificates issues by any state's division of wildlife/natural/resources/fish & game are universally recognized when buying non-resident hunting licenses.

You're talking about out of state HUNTING LICENSE, right? You still need one of those. I am wondering what they go for in VT, NH, and ME these days. They must be over $50 by now.

You're talking about out of state HUNTING LICENSE, right? You still need one of those. I am wondering what they go for in VT, NH, and ME these days. They must be over $50 by now.

do you need a non-resident firearms license just to hunt?

He wasn't talking about hunting licenses. It's the usual extrapolation of Mass laws to everywhere else.

Make sure you're in compliance with every single law pertaining to weapons and hunting in those states. Read the LTC DQ thread in my sigline, get a conviction for one of those and you'll never ever get an LTC in MA again.

ETA2: Hunter safety course certificates issues by any state's division of wildlife/natural/resources/fish & game are universally recognized when buying non-resident hunting licenses.

Except if your archery hunting, then in manny states you will need a seperate Bow Hunters Safety course. These are generaly recognized unilateraly but are differnt from a Hunter saftey course

OT, if you buy a VT hunting license online, make sure you check your credit card statement when it comes in. I got double billed last year.

Except if your archery hunting, then in manny states you will need a seperate Bow Hunters Safety course. These are generaly recognized unilateraly but are differnt from a Hunter saftey course

Didn't know that. I've never even touched a bow and arrow in my life.

Probably off topic

but the question needed asking....

I've been through the NH hunting laws many a time but can find no reference regarding pistol hunting in NH and the maximum rounds carried. I know it's a 5 round limit on rifles, but handguns? The cylinder on a S&W has a capacity of more than 5... what's the law on that? 14 round mags in a double stacker?

I'm not sure of NH because I don't hunt there. I hunt in Maine and checked with the Game Warden in the area where I hunt. I suggest you do the same for NH. Unlike Mass, the Game Wardens in Maine are not douche nozzles. They are probably helpful in NH, too. I've had no problems hunting with my .44 Magnum, provided it is not concealed and I only put 5 rounds in the cylinder. In fact, my last buck was shot at close range with that .44 Magnum. Another good point about these out-of-state Game Wardens in northern New England is that they will frequently advise you on where the deer are running and where they are not running.

but the question needed asking....

I've been through the NH hunting laws many a time but can find no reference regarding pistol hunting in NH and the maximum rounds carried. I know it's a 5 round limit on rifles, but handguns? The cylinder on a S&W has a capacity of more than 5... what's the law on that? 14 round mags in a double stacker?

Surprisingly, even Mass allows non-residents to hunt in the state without a firearms permit for long guns. You just need a non-res hunting license.

I feel your pain.

I hunt in Maine and checked with the Game Warden in the area where I hunt. I suggest you do the same for NH.

I'd suggest reading the laws yourself, to avoid "Why are you putting me in handcuffs? The guy on the phone said..." [laugh]

Actually, the Game Wardens in the Jackman, Maine area where I hunt are exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable. They do not have the adversarial mentality that seems so prevalent in Mass. I talk with these folks when I go each year. I never said the OP should not read the applicable laws. We all know to do that, but it never hurts to stop by and chat in person with the actual people enforcing those laws in a particular area. As I stated earlier, they generally give us some info on the location of the deer. That saves us a lot of wasted scouting time. Besides, it would take a real a**hole to give you advice one way and come out to arrest you over it the next day. That may happen in Mass, but the Maine Wardens don't play that game. Most states are NOT like Mass.

I'd suggest reading the laws yourself, to avoid "Why are you putting me in handcuffs? The guy on the phone said..." [laugh]

Are you confused because of the Mass FID (is that what they call the "permission to exercise your 'right'" license?)? Other states don't have that. You just go buy a gun as if self defense was a god given right, spelled out (I guess you'd have to say that they added the part about guns, but it is possible that god foresaw them when the first man was created :p ) and guaranteed by the second amendment. CT requires permission to exercise your right if you want to do it with a handgun as well, but I am not aware of any other states that do this.
p.s. sorry for the snarky tone, I am drinking coffee I think it has me all riled up :p

Last edited:
My father posed a question I didn't have a direct answer for, so I was hoping some one in here might.

Once you have your hunter's safety certificate, if you want to go hunting in another state, do you need a non-resident firearms license just to hunt?

If you have a Hunters Safety Cert and/or a previous hunting licence you can get a non resident hunting licence in just about any state - Read the hunting laws of the state you want to hunt in. I'm a MA resident but hunt VT every year. Old enough to have had a MA hunting licence from many years ago and that was valid Vs a Hunters Safety Cert years ago.

Carrying concealed is another subject.

Hope that helps,

Back
Top Bottom