• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions about carrying extra rounds for a revolver

I carry a J-Frame regularly.

In the opposite front pocket I carry a speed strip with 5 rounds.

If I am wearing an untucked shirt, I will also carry a speed strip, also with five rounds, on my strong side in a dump pouch.

I will also oftentimes carry two speed loaders in a coat pocket.

I prefer the HKS over the Safariland ones for the simple reason that when reloading, I am already holding the cylinder steady, and I am already twisting the loader to line up the cartridges. The are much quicker for me.

I have a few J frames to choose from, and find it handy that the "manual of arms" for each is so similar. Between Centennial style and the hammer guns, there's a great selection. They are pretty easy to keep with you all the time, and with practice, they are very sufficient for most anything the average person might fall into. A speed strip goes in my front pocket with my keys, and the J frame in my strong side pocket.

I carry a J-frame but no reloads at all. If you need more than a combat knife and five rounds of .38 +P you're in the wrong fight.

I carry a J-frame but no reloads at all. If you need more than a combat knife and five rounds of .38 +P you're in the wrong fight.

I respectfully disagree with you. If you're carrying, it's probably because you want to be prepared. You can't be totally prepared for everything, & you can't know for sure what you'll need to survive. What could it hurt to have some extra ammo? If you carry 1 gun, why not 2? If you have 5 rounds of ammo, why not 15?

My combat knife is an absolute last resort. I don't want to break a nail trying to physically wrestle a big guy.

Personally, I like to be prepared, with as much ammo as I can "reasonably" be expected to carry concealed. I think a couple of extra mags, or a couple of speedloaders are a necessity, not an excess.

(P.S. What's the "right" fight to be in?)

Back
Top Bottom