questions from an inquiring prospective ham operator

I knew Marty many moons ago. One of my friends was Lee Vincent who worked on the mountain, keeping the WMTW transmitters going in the 60's and 70's. He wrote several books, "Ten years on the Rock Pile" and "More Stories from the Rockpile" He was a true character as well as Marty. Many thought that Marty had a speech impediment but it was just a really (really!) thick downeast accent and he was a peach of a guy. I think Marty lived in Fryeburg, Maine when he wasn't on the mountain. Lee lived in Gorham, NH.

Either through the wall,
or out the window.

(Note how the MFJ-4602 has almost all the printing duplicated
so that you can install it in either orientation,
but the dumbass photographer (or webmaster)
managed to post the photo so that
the corporate logo is upside down. [rofl]
MFJ gonna MFJ).
I have to go thru the wall, as the nearest window is ~30' away with a fireplace between the station and the window.

Check these out:

Amazon product ASIN B005OEB3IAView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OEB3IA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 2 of them and so far, so good, though they haven't gone through a NE winter yet. I plan on modifying how they're attached outside so that they're sitting under a canopy of sorts.
I already own that. Bought it to do in my MA house, but the NH house has no windows on that wall. Other interesting issue is that the windows are all Anderson replacement windows and they have a sharp triangle built into the bottom inside sash that goes into a similar "well" in the bottom edge of the window. It would probably fracture the wire in that device. At any rate, I'm not running cables over the mantle or across the front of the fireplace to get to a window 30' away.

This was all I needed to hear, I come across enough retard in life on the daily. I don’t need to bring extra retard into my life.

There are all sorts of people in ham radio, just like there are all sorts of people in shooting. I have people with whom I chat on 2 and 440 who are nearly family, and I've never actually laid eyes on them. They've bent over backwards to help me when I've needed it.

There are also crusty old guys, likethe ones at the gun shop, who aren't nice to anyone not in their group.

There are also disabled people, and people who can't carry on a conversation beyond name, location, radio and antenna.

You find what you look for.

you can google these call signs and snippets of their on air frivolity come up. i just skimmed a couple of pages but it looks like n2fuv had his license yanked a couple years ago. what amazed me was the "normal" guys, probably sitting behind thousands of dollars of equipment. that gloat him on. seriously, reminded me of nes on a dead night.

I just Googled N2FUV and spent countless minutes of my life listening to him! Wtf?! Then I saw an article where he was arrested in June and sentenced to 30 days in jail for violating a no contact order!

I occasionally participate in nets, but for the most part the number 1 thing I do with my radio license is use it for drones. With a license I'm not limited to toys I can use much higher power in the transmitter.

I can say this, ham radio is a huge hobby. You can carve out whatever it is you want to do. Some people just want to operate radios, some people love working with satellite communications, some people like me want to stand on top of a mountain and see how far I can transmit a signal and if anyone is listening (called QRPing in the radio world), some people want to transmit video signals, some people are using arduino projects. The list goes on and on. The license opens the door and makes it possible.

I already own that. Bought it to do in my MA house, but the NH house has no windows on that wall. Other interesting issue is that the windows are all Anderson replacement windows and they have a sharp triangle built into the bottom inside sash that goes into a similar "well" in the bottom edge of the window. It would probably fracture the wire in that device. At any rate, I'm not running cables over the mantle or across the front of the fireplace to get to a window 30' away.
When I built the lake house I mounted a big 2m vertical on the vent pipe with hose clamps. For the coax I drilled a hole in the pipe and ran the coax into the attic and then just needed a small hole in the ceiling of the shack. Easy. Jack.

I have to say this is all so weird to me and not have an background in wiring/electrical I’m learning some new lingo.
I’m enjoying it though. The free test app is nice vs doing sample tests on the website.

Back
Top Bottom