• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Questions on the SBR process

Noticed there weren't really many recent threads on this question, but how would one go about building an SBR in Massachusetts legally? Ideally, I would turn a registered pre-ban rifle I own into an SBR, but I don't really understand the process beyond submitting a form 1 and paying the ATF $200. Can you even take a registered AR15 lower and make it an SBR at all, or do you have to always go the pistol route in MA? Do I still have to get my CLEO to sign my paperwork? Do I have to go through a trust or can I just skip that whole business? Been looking around on the internet for a few weeks now but haven't found many satisfactory answers, so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

After filling out the E form 1 and the required attachments (pic, prints, etc) send a copy of the application to CLEO. It is now only a notification. You’re not seeking his permission. A preban can have whatever evil features you want but going with a post ban you’re still restricted … atleast that’s how I interpret it. After approval get the receiver engraved and attach your short upper.
Also pistols aren’t feasible here due to the 50oz weight restriction. Otherwise everyone would save the $200 and approval period and buy a brace.

After filling out the E form 1 and the required attachments (pic, prints, etc) send a copy of the application to CLEO. It is now only a notification. You’re not seeking his permission. A preban can have whatever evil features you want but going with a post ban you’re still restricted … atleast that’s how I interpret it. After approval get the receiver engraved and attach your short upper.
Also pistols aren’t feasible here due to the 50oz weight restriction. Otherwise everyone would save the $200 and approval period and buy a brace.
Thank you, this was very helpful. I had no idea I had to get the receiver engraved as well, seems like an odd requirement but oh well!

Again the Littleton Mafia can help with engraving and the entire paper work. It really is painless, I have done three now. The only thing to think about is selling an SBR is a PIA since you either need to unregister it and put it back (but it has your name on it), or sell it as an SBR which i have heard can take a while. This is not an issue for me as I expect to keep my guns...

I don't know how the post-covid processing is working, but I highly recommend using the online registration process. In 2019 I registered one SBR online in 38 days and one using mail in forms took 10 months.

FYI the only reason I used the mail is that the online system had a bug which would not allow me to attach my trust document and the Braintree ATF office told me I had to mail trusts in and not use the online system. After a couple of friends used the online system successfully for Trusts I used the "contact us" feature of the website and an ATF agent from West Virginia contacted me and explained how to get past the problem on the website and file online.

I did two eform 1’s in RI and both took around 30 days. The only advantage paper forms have is ATF permits corrections on paper forms. If you submit a eform and make a mistake, your sort of locked in.

However if you make a mistake an get your first eform denied, you still could submit a new one which resolves your mistake and get approval back 4 times faster than a perfect paper form would be approved.

I did two eform 1’s in RI and both took around 30 days. The only advantage paper forms have is ATF permits corrections on paper forms. If you submit a eform and make a mistake, your sort of locked in.

However if you make a mistake an get your first eform denied, you still could submit a new one which resolves your mistake and get approval back 4 times faster than a perfect paper form would be approved.
Not me ! Going on 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom