• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quick transfer question

If I buy a MA ok gun from someone in NH, does the transfer need to be done at an FFL in MA? Can I meet them face to face in NH and do it? I tried to search but could not find an exact answer. Thank you

If I buy a MA ok gun from someone in NH, does the transfer need to be done at an FFL in MA? Can I meet them face to face in NH and do it? I tried to search but could not find an exact answer. Thank you

Long gun or other? Answer differs.

Private sales across state lines are NEVER okay. Federal law.

You cannot do a Face to Face between state lines for ANY gun! Handguns must go to a FFL in NH then to a FFL in MA then to you. Long guns just need to goto 1 FFL, either MA or NH.

Irish,

1) If it's an MA OK Longgun (Rifle or Shotgun), it can be done at an FFL in MA or NH
2) If it's an MA OK Handgun (Pistol or Revolver), it can be done at an FFL in MA only.

Federal law prohibits private sales over state lines (Interstate Commerce) so all interstate sales must go through an FFL. Federal law prohibits interstate sales of handguns to private buyers, so it has to be at an FFL in your state of residence, but Federal law allows interstate sales of longguns as long as the sale is legal under the laws of both the place of sale AND the buyers place of residence.

Irishfan,

Bring documentation just like you would if buying the gun from an MA dealer. Verify with the NH FFL that they will do transfers to MA residents. While it's legal for them to do so, not all will because some don't want to be bothered keeping track of all of the MA laws. I am fairly certain both State Line in Mason and Manchester Firing Line in Manchester do transfers to MA residents, but I know some smaller shops that don't.

You cannot do a Face to Face between state lines for ANY gun! Handguns must go to a FFL in NH then to a FFL in MA then to you. Long guns just need to goto 1 FFL, either MA or NH.

The bolded part is wrong (at least per law)! ONLY 1 FFL is needed by law (for handguns the FFL would have to be in MA only). However many FFLs will NOT accept any guns (long or short) from anyone other than another FFL, so you need to check first.

You also will need to do an FA10 which the dealer will likely not do.

Non-MA dealers can NOT do FA-10s, so the buyer MUST do one (as "registration", NO info on source of gun) when they bring the gun back across state line to MA.

Thanks LenS,

I didn't think you needed both FFLs, as I didn't think there was any restriction on a non-resident transfering a handgun to an FFL, but I didn't have the specifics in front of me, so I didn't want to chime in.

Don't forget the long gun still has to be AWB compliant in MA. The AWB is on your ass, not the dealer's!

Actually, it's on both asses. It is not legal for a FFL to transfer a long gun to a resident of another state if said long gun is not legal for the buyer to have in their home state.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. "Nobody ever got in trouble for keeping their mouth shut" applies.

Back
Top Bottom