Quincy MA restriction

Hi all, I applied for my LTC in Quincy when I was 23 and was told that I wouldnt get unrestricted until I was 25.

i am now 25 and looking to get my restriction lifted. I called the PD and was told to write a letter requesting my restriction be lifted. Any one on here gone through that process and can explain it further? Do I simply write “i’m 25, please lift my restriction”?Also, anyone know how long should I be expecting to wait for the new card to come in?

How about this
Chief ?????
When I applied for my LTC I was told that when I was 25 I could have my restriction removed. I am now 25 and I would like to do this. If there is any additional information you require, or additional action I must take please let me know.
Thanks X

Now he will either just give it to you or tell you what he needs to see to lift the restriction.
This puts the ball in his court, he will need to do or say something, or just tell a subordinate to give it to you. This last is what you want, but if you don't get it you'll hear what he needs to see to give it to you. Then all you need to do is provide that.

Or move to NH were we don't play these stupid games.

As always IANAL, and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Hi all, I applied for my LTC in Quincy when I was 23 and was told that I wouldnt get unrestricted until I was 25.

i am now 25 and looking to get my restriction lifted. I called the PD and was told to write a letter requesting my restriction be lifted. Any one on here gone through that process and can explain it further? Do I simply write “i’m 25, please lift my restriction”?Also, anyone know how long should I be expecting to wait for the new card to come in?
To Whom It May Concern,

I am requesting an unrestricted LTC for all lawful purposes, including personal protection, hunting, collecting, and sporting.

Thank You,

Jaozus

Im in newton and has to do the same after 1 year of being licensed. The letter is literally that simple, no matter how unconstitutional it js

To Whom It May Concern,

I am requesting an unrestricted LTC for all lawful purposes, including personal protection, hunting, collecting, and sporting.

Thank You,

Jaozus

Im in newton and has to do the same after 1 year of being licensed. The letter is literally that simple, no matter how unconstitutional it js

"To whom it may concern" -- should be replaced with the CLEO name. It is very easy to find online.

Also, your approach is too direct. Why is he requesting it? ... remember, we are dealing with CLEOs that only answer to God (in their minds).

In my opinion, @42! Advice is perfect.

Chief Keenan is pretty reasonable. If they only issue unrestricted after 25, then it may be worth touching on how you've matured, including any additional training that you might have taken.

Should you have to write a letter asking someone to 'allow you' to exercise your 2A rights? No.

Do you have to play the game in Mass? Most of the time, yes.

I know MA licenses are pretty screwed up, a subjective process, but something strikes a nerve to hear a police chief has actually made up his own arbitrary age limit. I assume the law says 21 ?

It seems like that is straight out age discrimination. If the chief said "4 years of resposible LTC then unrestricted" that equally applies to everyone. But I feel like even in MA, if a squeaky clean 40 year old gets one license initially and a squeaky clean 21 year old gets something else, that policy would be ruled against in court.

Current medical thinking (not gun-medical, mainstream medical) is that the brain is fully developed at age 25. That being said, it is inconsistent to hold a person 21 - 25 who has almost all responsibilities of adult society being treated like a minor in this one respect. I said "almost all" because todays "Adult children" are still considered "Children" by government regulations that apply to putting spawn on a parent's policy.

Even if you personally dismiss the age 25 thing, it is worth understanding where the line of reasoning that chief is applying comes from. There is plenty of literature that can be cited to argue that the cutoff is not ex-rectus or totally arbitrary.

But, if we fully apply this logic to restricting behavior, it should also go to driving licenses as well since the 16-25 year olds are less able to comprehend the consequence of, and moderate risk taking, with drinking and driving. It is worth noting that the "Free market" recognizes "Age 25" as that is the age at which drivers, particularly males, get phased out of the "youthful driver insurance rates" in states where that is allowed. Here in the DPRM insurers are not allowed to discriminate on sex, and the rating is "inexperienced driver" based on the number of years one has held a driving license which, for the most part, is a proxy for age.

-----------------------------------------

It seems like that is straight out age discrimination. If the chief said "4 years of resposible LTC then unrestricted" that equally applies to everyone. But I feel like even in MA, if a squeaky clean 40 year old gets one license initially and a squeaky clean 21 year old gets something else, that policy would be ruled against in court.

You must be new to this game :)

Last edited:
Rob's post is to the point.

My b!tch is that they don't want "kids" having a handgun (LTC), or booze, or weed, but are fine with them joining the army, and, depending on MOS, getting to play with lots of fun toys.

If they're too immature to drink, how can they be mature enough to vote for POTUS (or dog catcher, I guess)?

I know, I know....it's just one of the mini-rants I go on.

"To whom it may concern" -- should be replaced with the CLEO name. It is very easy to find online.

Also, your approach is too direct. Why is he requesting it? ... remember, we are dealing with CLEOs that only answer to God (in their minds).

In my opinion, @42! Advice is perfect.
I'd rather take the direct approach than leave a line in there that basically says "feel free to ask me to elaborate more" because in latter version here you've opened the door for the CLEO to push back, whereas the former version you are following what they said initially (removal at 25 years of age).

Keep it short and simple.

Or you can sell your house, maybe find a new job, say bye to friends and family and move to NH just so you don't have to do this dance every 6 years.

No long essay is required for Quincy. Just a direct request to unrestrict due to age >25 is adequate. That's worked for many people over the past number of years in that city.

Back
Top Bottom