R-P 30.06 brass circle????

That's an odd one, for sure. Can't imagine what could leave a mark like that in a chamber.

Perhaps the chamber became loose during machining and some sort of cutter started skipping around? Not the place I would expect such a mark.

Is it roughly the diameter of the case neck? Here's my theory: some material shaved off of the projectile or perhaps split off the case mouth. Thin sliver of a ring. Was left in chamber and made an impression on the case.

wouldn't be from an instrumentation tap? like for a pressure gauge? or maybe a shrunk in plug in a cross drilled hole?

I'm going to guess somewhere along in the brass drawing process it was struck. Went out the door as discounted ammo.
Line several up and take a picture how uniform are they.

I still stand by my hit by something in the machining process.

I'm going to guess somewhere along in the brass drawing process it was struck. Went out the door as discounted ammo.

but that probably would have been smoothed out when the brass expands during firing, I think its hitting something on the way out like Eddie suggested

Send a pic to Remington. Before the doors close for good. This may be common due to one of their machines.

If this is indeed the situation, I doubt Remington would sell the cases commercially or otherwise. Most likely they are grom a friend of a friend who got them from a scrapyard or an employee's lunch box.

Don't think it was from a pressure gun as coppers are no longer used. All electronic now. Doesn't look like link mark.

FWIW I had a similar experience helping a buddy out. He had been out hunting and it was raining and he came in and wiped down outside of rifle and put it in storage loaded. It was a Rem 700 Varmint weight barrel. A couple weeks later he noticed that bolt did not want to open/extract quite right upon firing but a new round would go in fine.

I told him to bring it down and I ran my borescope in and as I suspected the chamber was rusted. Pulled it out of the stock, unscrewed it and I cut half the threads off and turned it down and rethreaded it and ran a match grade finish reamer in and borescoped it again. I estimated 95% of the pitting was removed so reamed a tad more and I got the headspace right and screwed it back on and we went out and shot it. The cases were showing slight markings similar to yours but the hard extraction problem completely went away.

I told him to take it and shoot it and see how it did and he called me and said it shot better groups than it did when new and he was very happy in how well it shot. The chamber I put in was smaller than the factory and I headspaced it so the shoulder only moved about .002 forward on firing. That saved him several hundred bucks and he is still shooting it every season and quite happy with it.

As long as you don't see hard extraction I believe you could load them and shoot them just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom