Rabbit Hunting

The saturday after thanksgiving i went out on the last pheasant hunt of the year. Just as i walked into a small stand of brushy trees i bumped a rabbit. I took a shot but missed, as i wasnt expecting it. Or i suck at shooting. Either one...oh well.

Anyway, it made me want to find a rabbit or two. Anyone target rabbits in January and February? That one was the first id ever seen in a huntable area. Wondering if you guys know about any WMAs in western mass that youve had good luck looking for cottontails, preferably without a dog.

On a related note, this was my second season hunting pheasant. Last year i got two, and i matched that this year, however, the two i got last year were 2/3 i saw. This year i saw probably 10 that i had a shot at, maybe 15 total. Remember that point about crummy shooting? Anyway, It was a great year and ive even gotten a bonus 3 squirrels.

the WMA across from the boat ramp at south pond in brookfield has a lot of bunnies 2 guys walking on either side of the hedgerows should produce

much more fun if you can get a couple beagles out there , i used to raidse them miss the sound of a pack of hounds on a rabbit!!!

I bumped a cottontail today while hunting deer. A sabot would be a little much. I can see the fun in a little rabbit drive through the thickets.

I bumped a cottontail today while hunting deer. A sabot would be a little much. I can see the fun in a little rabbit drive through the thickets.
Cottontail is closed only during shotgun deer.....it opens back up monday morning. I have a hard decision to make in mid to late December......bring the smoke pole to the woods or get the ol auto 5 out again for some squirrel and rabbit action. Ive literally flipped a coin to decide sometimes.

Absolutely...hands down.....the best hunting I do is snow shoe hare in Maine with a fantastic guide. The sound of the beagles on a track is mezmorizing. When you hear em getting closer you have to be ready because that hare is fast........when you connect with one it's an amazing feeling.

Tough to do without dogs. Not impossible, bit not easy. Mad props to those that are successful at such.
I'm unsuccessful way more than I'm successful. But.....taking the gun for a walk in the power lines and edges is good exercise. Every now and then we flush a cottontail........it's worth the effort and when we get one we know we worked for it.

But hunting hare with beagles.......damn there is nothing better. The dogs run the hare right by ya.....and if you miss.....pack a lip.......chill out and wait a few minutes he'll be back around. Lol

chum an area with nice bunny food, then live trap. Bring em home fresh and well fed! Just like the geese (bag of popcorn, welding gloves and baby carriage) at the local duck pond! And if you think anyone might be around....wear bright red lipstick, they will leave you alone, I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom