• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Radio related - but semi-off topic

Viper22

NES Member
As HAM Radio is way over my head right now, I was thinking about getting a handheld CB radio to keep in the car for a few reasons.

1) Listen in to find out about any traffic jams
2) Weather - I found some CB radios with NOAA weather channels
3) If the SHTF; I could utilize it for communications
4) Get a charger so I can keep the radio charged wherever I go
5) Mobility - thus the handheld version of the CB

Does anyone else have CB radios in their vehicles? If so, why? If not, why not & do you have some other type of mobile communications (besides cell phone)?

Thanks.

CBs aren't really practical for anything nowadays. There is no enforcement of the rules, few people will report traffic problems except truck drivers, the single emergency channel is not a reliable method of reaching emergency services as it is rarely monitor, etc. etc.. A lot of trucking companies are switching to commercial UHF radios, so fairly soon you will also lose those few resources for traffic info.
CBs are more of a novelty today. They're fun to mess around with, but have few practical applications.

As HAM Radio is way over my head right now, I was thinking about getting a handheld CB radio to keep in the car for a few reasons.

1) Listen in to find out about any traffic jams
2) Weather - I found some CB radios with NOAA weather channels
3) If the SHTF; I could utilize it for communications
4) Get a charger so I can keep the radio charged wherever I go
5) Mobility - thus the handheld version of the CB

Does anyone else have CB radios in their vehicles? If so, why? If not, why not & do you have some other type of mobile communications (besides cell phone)?

Thanks.

I have a CB that I use on occasion, two actually, a HT and an "emergency radio" that has a mag mount antenna. I'm not sure brands...

I tend to use it on long trips, to get traffic reports and for "bear sightings"

The magmount radio is much, much better, but older and falling apart so the power contact isn't as good, and it tends to turn off on occasion. The HT is basically line of site with it's little antenna. I used to use the HT when I was younger with the scouts, we'd chat between vehicles on trips.

Neither radio has NOAA weather channels, but I've used radios with it.

Currently my only other communication is my cell.

IMO, save your money and buy a weather radio. Or get a 2m ham rig and don't plug in the mic so you are not tempted to transmit.

Or, better yet... get your tech license (believe me you can do it) and get a 2m rig, but DO plug in the mic and transmit away!

I have a CB in the garage. I throw on the magnet antenna in the Summer in the Jeep and sometimes have some fun.

I guess if cell phones ever go out, it could be useful. 9-11 had cell phones go down for a while due to heavy traffic.

Maybe I'd hook it up again. Also have a UHF (or was it VHF?) radio in the boat. I guess that could do in a pinch. Maybe add a scanner to the mix as well.

While I think that CB is a fun part of hobby radio, I also believe it is limited in its utility. I was a long time CBer before I was a licensed ham. In my experience, short range comms with CB is extremely short range, especially with the power output restrictions. Conversely, long range comms can be extremely long range but there is nothing in between! You can usually talk to someone 0 to 5 miles away (depending on terrain) or someone else 300 miles away and further, but no one between 5 and 300 miles will hear you. This sounds strange but it is the nature of that area of spectrum (and can be explained but I wont go into that here). But at the moment the long range capability is going to happen only on rare occasions because of the current state of the sunspot cycle (not gonna get into that either). With that in mind I would say CB is NOT very versatile. However, it does have some uses. On the highway truckers might be sources of road/traffic related information, especially in rural areas where ham radio VHF/UHF repeaters might be hard to come by. CB can also be used to talk to other CBers in your town for fun or information about local events.

To answer your specific points by number:

1) Yes. As I mentioned above, CB may be useful for traffic information, but ham radio VHF/UHF comms has better range for local comms via repeaters and is generally FAR better than CB for this or ANY information. The only exception might be rural areas where there may not be any repeaters around. But then again there may not be any CBers either.

2) A weather feature is always cool. Having a CB or any radio with a NOAA receiver built in is worth it just for that.

3) Its better than nothing for SHTF. But even if all the VHF/UHF ham repeaters were downed by a SHTF situation, VHF/UHF have far better local comms capability directly.

4) YES. Power is always useful to your radio no matter what kind it is.[wink]

5) A hand held CB is going to limit you even more. You typically will not be heard beyond 1.5 miles and forget about the 300 mile and up stuff I talked about.

And no, I dont have a CB in my vehicle because I have ham radio in my vehicle.

But, if you are not interested in ham stuff I think that you should get the CB and use it. It can be a fun part of hobby radio.

But there are also other options beside CB and ham radio:
There is FRS (Family radio Service) which is like a VHF version of CB and you dont need a license. But its super low power so range is limited.
There is MURS that I dont know much about but I think it is also unlicensed.
There is GMRS which is pretty useful. You need a license but you just buy it.

But dont think that ham radio is over your head. Anyone can do it. There are 8 yo kids with Technician class licenses.

/John

Last edited:
If you're dead set on getting a CB shoot me a PM, I have a bunch of CBs the family used on long trips before I got GMRS.

Not dead set on using a CB radio; Just figured it would be something for the short term. If CB radio's are really becoming that obsolete, then I guess I had better start considering learning about 2m ham radios.

Thanks.

I know you feel overwhelmed with all the ham radio "stuff" but it is absolutely NOT over your head. Anybody can do it with a minimal amount of effort and you have all of US to help you! Shoot for the ham license and you can always do the CB stuff too, but 2m FM is much EASIER than trying to make contacts with strangers on the CB band.

I know you feel overwhelmed with all the ham radio "stuff" but it is absolutely NOT over your head. Anybody can do it with a minimal amount of effort and you have all of US to help you! Shoot for the ham license and you can always do the CB stuff too, but 2m FM is much EASIER than trying to make contacts with strangers on the CB band.

Just from some initial research (about 5 minutes worth) I found there are different types of ham licenses.....There's a "no code" Technitian class license and a General class license.........What one should I aim for? Can you send & recieve with the "no code" or should I go for a license with a code?

Here's where I started my research: http://www.hamradio-online.com/firstlicense.html

Guess what time it is!!!!?!?!?!?!?

Time to....

Help the noob....

If it helps any, I have a Scanning Reciever from my grandfather...I've got the user manual...says he bought the scanner in Feb of '86. Its got the local police and fire frequencies in it...I guess its somewhere to start...now to fill in the other pieces.

Last edited:
Go HERE and take the TECHNICIAN practice exams for 30 minutes every day. Mix up the different tests. Don't worry if you fail, you will eventually learn all the answers. When you can routinely pass the exam go to an exam session and get your license! It's that easy! That will get you on 2m with the rest of us. The higher class licenses will be slightly more difficult but you will have your foot in the door and can then begin to learn in earnest.

Last edited:
There is no Morse Code requirement anymore -- they're all no code! The basic, entry level license is the Technician, there's plenty of online resources available to study for it, and lots of inexpensive study guides as well. Many of our new NES hams started with the Tech and can give you all the info you need to pursue it. You can be ready for the test in just a few weeks of casual study and the capabilities you'll have on the V/UHF ham bands will totally eclipse anything that's possible on the 11 meter CB system or the FRS system, both of which require no licensing. You can get a basic, entry level single band ham transceiver for as little as $100 NEW, and much more is available on the used market.

Go HERE and take the TECHNICIAN practice exams for 30 minutes every day. Mix up the different tests. Don't worry if you fail, you will eventually learn all the answers. When you can routinely pass the exam go to an exam session and get your license! It's that easy! That will get you on 2m with the rest of us. The higher class licenses will be slightly more difficult but you will have your foot in the door and can then begin to learn in earnest.

Is there anywhere where there are rules/regs specified? Something I can read through and get a basic grasp on this stuff?

The tests will be helpufl. Thanks.

Last edited:
Now hurry up and start reading and taking the practice tests! Set aside 1 hour each day, 30 min to review the rules and regs and the other 30 min for the practice exams and in exactly one month you will be ready to snatch these pebbles from my hand.
[rofl]

Now hurry up and start reading and taking the practice tests! Set aside 1 hour each day, 30 min to review the rules and regs and the other 30 min for the practice exams and in exactly one month you will be ready to snatch these pebbles from my hand.
[rofl]

I'll get the reading done in a night. Test the next!

Good luck! I hope we see you in the Service soon. The new NES hams have really started something awesome here, my hat is off to all of them!

This is definetly something new & interesting to me. Something else to dump $$ into!

I'll get the reading done in a night. Test the next!

This is definetly something new & interesting to me. Something else to dump $$ into!

Give this site a try hamtestonline.com you can give it a test run before you pay.
They predict 10 hours of study for Techinician, 20 for General and 30 for Extra

Give this site a try hamtestonline.com you can give it a test run before you pay.
They predict 10 hours of study for Techinician, 20 for General and 30 for Extra

I did the 50 test "trial" thing for the General Test with them...and it was really good. If I didn't already pay for the books, I might have spent my 20 bucks on this... The format is good.

The next thing for me is lcwo.net. LOL! [rofl2] I have done a few lessons on here...I'm doing OK..but I don't know how people learn this.

IMO, save your money and buy a weather radio. Or get a 2m ham rig and don't plug in the mic so you are not tempted to transmit.

Or, better yet... get your tech license (believe me you can do it) and get a 2m rig, but DO plug in the mic and transmit away!

This

In the event of a true emergency/crisis situation, could a CB be somehow "bridged over" to ham radio? It could be through electronics, but it could also be as simple as a taped on microphone next to a speaker. This would GREATLY amplify and enhance the utility of both systems.

Note that I said "a true emergency/crisis situation". I imagine the people who enforce those sort of things are going to be busy elsewhere at that time.

Well, then, yes, it's possible. But then again, in a true emergency, people aren't going to bother with an inferior and pointless exercise such as bridging CB to Ham Radio. In the scenario you're describing -- you as a smart practitioner of survival skills have already gotten a very cheap 2m HT to add to your cache, license or not. And in a true emergency, Part 97 has that covered.

§97.405 Station in distress.

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.

(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a), of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

Note, this is addressing the specific situation of a staion being in distress. This doesn't include "casual" use of ham radio in an emergency. Think of it as the same as having an inactivated cell phone that you use to dial 911 when you need it. For "casual" emergency use, you won't find anyone who will assist in bridging CB to the ham bands.

Last edited:
Well, then, yes, it's possible. But then again, in a true emergency, people aren't going to bother with an inferior and pointless exercise such as bridging CB to Ham Radio. In the scenario you're describing -- you as a smart practitioner of survival skills have already gotten a very cheap 2m HT to add to your cache, license or not. And in a true emergency, Part 97 has that covered.

My understanding that if you say...use a emergency channel to call for help in a true scenario, you would be oK...but would still have to deal with doing this after it was all over... Like, my house is on fire, I can't get my cell phone...all my neighbors are gone...etc....I ca;ll North Fire on my modded radio...explain what's going on. They will come...but I will still have to deal with using that channel after it's all cleaned up...

I was picturing more of an Internet of the radio waves. Compare CB's to individual PC's on small networks, and the hams to larger networks. It could work, if things weren't so jammed up with the FCC. Really, the possibilities could be limitless for over the air communications.

My understanding that if you say...use a emergency channel to call for help in a true scenario, you would be oK...but would still have to deal with doing this after it was all over... Like, my house is on fire, I can't get my cell phone...all my neighbors are gone...etc....I ca;ll North Fire on my modded radio...explain what's going on. They will come...but I will still have to deal with using that channel after it's all cleaned up...

Wait, I thought you didn't want to give away your position!

;-p

A lot of trucking companies are switching to commercial UHF radios, so fairly soon you will also lose those few resources for traffic info.

I disagree. I've been on and off the CB for over 25+ years now and commercial trucking activity on 19 (and you'll hear some truckers on other channels during the day, too) hasn't really decreased. The only thing that's really fallen off the map has been the non truckers. That scene is pretty much dead outside of the hard core DXers, etc.

I also have two trucking companies as customers, and one of them has a bunch of tractors, and most of them have CBs in them. The only time the trucks go without is when they bring in brand new ones and they have to put them on the road and they don't have the time to get radios installed. The drivers also have cell phones.

The other company has a crapload of trucks, but no CBs, but every driver has a cell phone. For the type of driving that company does, though, the CB is less beneficial. ( 65% of their routes are very short. )

It also depends on the realm of trucking. If it's an OTR driver/job there will nearly always be a CB in the cab, it's considered important.

I'll also take a moment to note that geography is a big deal WRT CB use. Believe it or not there are still a lot of them
in use by non truckers in rural america. You go to one of those square, flat states where a CB base station can get out 30+ miles easily and you'll find a lot more people on the CB. In the northeast true "wide range" CBing is kind of hard to come by because of all the damned hills, mountains, buildings and trees all over the place, constantly blocking the signals.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom