• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Radioddity GS-5B Dual-Band HT (2m/70cm) - A Decent SHTF Radio

MaverickNH

NES Member

I picked one up from Amazon $89.99. More costly than a Baofeng (same price as a Yaesu FT-65r) but will likely outlast 2-3 UV-5Rs - YMMV. Radioddity has a $99.99 bundle offer now for the radio and accessories that went up a few days (link above) after I paid more on Amazon for the gear. 🤨

A top selling point is Bluetooth programming from an app. I used the Android version but there’s an IOS app too.

I was able to quickly enter the main SHFT channels and program the radio from my Pixel 5a. You can program using the radio buttons too, of course, but that’s tedious. The device has extended RX/TX and one can turn off TX on those bands where you or the device are not licensed to transmit - or leave them on and risk the FCC Commandos descending on you 😅

Another second main feature is scanning - you can scan your memory channels (all those SHTF channels) 3-3-3 (3rd on the month, 3hr intervals 3a/6a/9a/12p/3p/6p/12a for 3min) for practice or 3-3 any day you need to do so.

A third main feature us USB Mini charging - the port is on the removable battery, so you can buy a spare (only $18) and charge it up for backup. It comes with a desk stand charger and a “spy” behind the ear headphone too. A programming cable for Windows and a hand Mike are optional accessories.

It’s a KISS b/u for my RFinder B1+, which is really sweet, but more complex.

I got the Radioddity PC002 programming cable today and the Windows programming app worked fine on Win11. Oddly, I cannot program RX channel PMR 3 446.03125 into the radio - I get a "must be a multiple of 12.5 KHZ" warning by any programming means.

{EDIT} Mystery solved - PMR is an EU thing, not US...

The IOS app was crashing on my iPad but I DL'd a SenHaix 8800 IOS app on the iPad and it works just fine - same radio that Radioddity brands.

Last edited:
I got the Radioddity PC002 programming cable today and the Windows programming app worked fine on Win11. Oddly, I cannot program RX channel PMR 3 446.03125 into the radio - I get a "must be a multiple of 12.5 KHZ" warning by any programming means.

{EDIT} Mystery solved - PMR is an EU thing, not US...

The IOS app was crashing on my iPad but I DL'd a SenHaix 8800 IOS app on the iPad and it works just fine - same radio that Radioddity brands.
I was also going to ask if the frequency increment was set to 12.5 KHz. May not be configurable.

Is PMR the European version of FRS/GMRS?

I was also going to ask if the frequency increment was set to 12.5 KHz. May not be configurable.

Is PMR the European version of FRS/GMRS?

In VFO mode, it’s configurable to 12.5 KHz but that might not carry over to Memory mode.

Yes, the eHAM wizards told me PRS is Europe’s FRS. I just deleted it from my memory channels.

Yaesu ft-65r. Can open up the frequencies VIA keypad, similar price, "big name" brand.

Had I considered the FT-65r before getting the GS-5B, I might have gone with the FT-65r. Our local club appears to be recommending them to newbies so I’ll probably get one so I can answer questions about them too. And there’s a FT-65r FB group - none for the GS-5B. What’s one more HT? 😉

Hopefully, with three HTs, one will work when I need it. That said, I have a Yaesu FT-2DR and a Kenwood TH-D72a in mothballs for satellite work, should I need them.

In VFO mode, it’s configurable to 12.5 KHz but that might not carry over to Memory mode.

Yes, the eHAM wizards told me PRS is Europe’s FRS. I just deleted it from my memory channels.

Had I considered the FT-65r before getting the GS-5B, I might have gone with the FT-65r. Our local club appears to be recommending them to newbies so I’ll probably get one so I can answer questions about them too. And there’s a FT-65r FB group - none for the GS-5B. What’s one more HT? 😉

Hopefully, with three HTs, one will work when I need it. That said, I have a Yaesu FT-2DR and a Kenwood TH-D72a in mothballs for satellite work, should I need them.

I like HTs. Only problem is keeping up with the batteries.

Attachments

• 20221212_202923.jpg
    20221212_202923.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 8
Yeah - the GS-5B is a good HT to keep in the car and for travel, as the batteries are chargeable by USB, using solar, a battery bank or mains power.

HRO is sending me a FT-65. Just so much more in that unit and it can be opened up RX/TX with a “secret code” rather than desoldering resisters/diodes. But you need the charging cradle and wall wart to charge it. Carrying spare batteries is an option, of course. Not a SHTF radio unless you can charge the batteries.

HRO is sending me a FT-65.
A quick review of the Yaesu H/T would be appreciated. I am getting up to speed with an Icom ID-52 and am using an Anytone 878 for DMR, but wouldn’t mind picking up the Yaesu as a solid analog H/T. Front panel programming is a wonderful thing and I believe the Yaesu allows for that. The RT Systems programming software is a huge plus in rounding out your every day carry radio. Love to hear how you like the FT-65.

Back
Top Bottom