Random call to the shop leads to.....

Museum in the future in the movie "Demolition Man" where high society is a night out at Taco Bell
That's because Taco Bell won the franchise wars and "all restaurants are Taco Bell". There is a second version of the movie distributed in Europe where the images have been edited and new dialog dubbed depicting Pizza Hut as the winner of the franchise wars. Yes, really.

That's a beautiful example OP. I hope for the owner's sake he considers holding on to it. That's a great family heirloom to pass on to future generations.

I would give my left and right nut to know what happened to my Dad's 1911.

After he passed I looked high and low and could not locate his guns, including the the 1911 and K-17 S&W .22 revolver I loved so much.
When we cleaned put my grandparents house, we searched high and low for his pistol. I dont know what it was, because nobody else in the know was interested in guns. My dad told me that eventually my brother found it up in the lampshade on his bedside night table. Scary thought for someone who loved in the house for several years with dementia.

My grandfather had a Singer 1911. His M1 carbine was Rock-Ola. Classics!
Singer made a grand total of 500 1911 pistols (out of 2.7 million made for the government). Seems every thread on a gun forum about gi 1911s or post on a gun related FB page on the government 1911 has someone that has a father or grandfather that owned or was issued a singer 1911. I mean.....what are the odds 🙄

I actually open these GI related 1911 pages just to scroll through to find the replies that "yeah my grandpa had a singer". This thread didn't disappoint. Based on my searching through gun forum threads for these comments all 500 singers have been accounted for ......plus an additional 100 or so. 🤣

Last edited:
That's because Taco Bell won the franchise wars and "all restaurants are Taco Bell". There is a second version of the movie distributed in Europe where the images have been edited and new dialog dubbed depicting Pizza Hut as the winner of the franchise wars. Yes, really.
Taco bell and pizza hut are the part of the same company......as well as KFC. So it makes sense that the advertising dollars paid to the producers would be interchangeable between those restaurant chains.

Those three fast food chains were owned by PepsiCo in the 1990s.....split to form a new Corp called tricon just for the restaurant chains now they are YUM! Brands. Ever wonder why those three serve Pepsi products rather than coke like McDonald's and BK? They were owned by Pepsi.

Singer made a grand total of 500 1911 pistols (out of 2.7 million made for the government). Seems every thread on a gun forum about gi 1911s or post on a gun related FB page on the government 1911 has someone that has a father or grandfather that owned or was issued a singer 1911. I mean.....what are the odds 🙄

I actually open these GI related 1911 pages just to scroll through to find the replies that "yeah my grandpa had a singer". This thread didn't disappoint. Based on my searching through gun forum threads for these comments all 500 singers have been accounted for ......plus an additional 100 or so. 🤣
Never saw the Singer. Did see the M1 carbine and it definitely was a Rock Ola. Grandpa was a habitual gun-trader who sometimes sold guns to raise cash for other stuff, including a Wellcraft CC. He had a nice artillery model Luger in .30 Luger but we could not find it after we settled his estate. Damned shame. Thing was pristine and included the wood stock/case. Would be worth some $$$!

I love stories like this! Thanks for sharing these!

My story is not nearly as dramatic.

My FiL was an officer in the Navy during 'Nam. In 1968 he purchased a civilian Colt 1911 Government Model to match his issued sidearm. Pre-series 70.

He fired exactly 12 rounds through it right after he bought it and then put it, and the remaining 188 rounds of .45 Ball in an ammo can.

There it stayed for 50 years. Fifty years. My wife, his daughter, never even knew he had it. And then we got to talking one day and he showed it to me. Obviously, I drooled. I gushed. I admired.

He and I have always got along. I asked for his daughter's hand, have always been very traditional, that kind of thing. But still, imagine my shock when he presented it to me as a gift recently. An extremely meaningful gift. I swapped out the original plastic grips (!) For some rosewood, but otherwise it is as it was.

Originally, I had no intention of firing it. It was a museum piece. But, since I don't intend to sell it... that seemed a waste. So I took my new safe queen, the 188 rounds of 1968 .45 ball, a couple of boxes of new stuff... and had the best range day ever. :)

And here she is:

20200629_084151.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Keen observers will note the slanted serrations, unusual for a Colt.

Turns out there was a run of Army Marksmanship slides left over from a previous run. Those slides had tighter tolerances and slanted serrations, as requested by the AMU.

Some of those slides went to civilian Government Models, because Colt never let anything go to waste. This one is from Q1, 1968, near as I can tell, and was one of only a few hundred that year to get the slant-serration slide.

Last edited:
Never saw the Singer. Did see the M1 carbine and it definitely was a Rock Ola. Grandpa was a habitual gun-trader who sometimes sold guns to raise cash for other stuff, including a Wellcraft CC. He had a nice artillery model Luger in .30 Luger but we could not find it after we settled his estate. Damned shame. Thing was pristine and included the wood stock/case. Would be worth some $$$!
A true singer would go for upwards of $100k today.

A true singer would go for upwards of $100k today.
I wonder if it was a true 100% Singer or a cannibalized parts gun. Army and USMC 1911s were rebuilt many times over before the M9 was adopted in the 1980s. A cannibalized parts gun with a Singer slide probably wouldn't be worth much to a collector. Grandpa went through a lot of guns in his life. My first centerfire rifle, a .45-70 caliber Marlin "Zane Grey Century" was one of them.

The same percentage of people I've met who were 'SEALs', RECON, SF and were at Fallujah.

I wonder if it was a true 100% Singer or a cannibalized parts gun. Army and USMC 1911s were rebuilt many times over before the M9 was adopted in the 1980s. A cannibalized parts gun with a Singer slide probably wouldn't be worth much to a collector. Grandpa went through a lot of guns in his life. My first centerfire rifle, a .45-70 caliber Marlin "Zane Grey Century" was one of them.

True that. I've got a Remington Rand 1911 in my safe.

Well,the SLIDE is a RR.The frame is some no-name alloy P.O.S.

Back
Top Bottom