Random MilSurp Stuff - What You Up To?

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Starting week 3 of shelter-at-home...or is it week 4?. Figured I'd post a new thread to put all of the home-bound gun posts. Switched out my carry piece from my German occupied M35 Beretta to my Mauser HSc...one on my favorites. 7.65 Browning/.32acp is my favorite cartridge. I used to have almost every type made expect Spanish, the Ruby, the Frommer-Stop, and the WWI Walther and Beretta versions. I now have 6 again...not too dear to collect and still a potent caliber...that depends on who you talk to.

So fire away; pun intended. What are you playing with right now? As long as it's politically correct that is. I'm $200 away from #7...then maybe a FN10/22.

My range is still open (all outside); planning to get out and shoot it tomorrow.

t [mg]

1. Mid 1939 commercial proofed Walther PPk
2. 1915 M14 Mauser, Imperial Proofed
3. 1909 M07 Savage
4. Late 1920 M03 Colt
5. Late 1944 M35 Beretta, under German occupation
6. January 1943 Mauser HSc, Army proofed.

IMG_0720.jpegIMG_0721.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally a chance to go shoot the Swede. Shot half a box of PPU 139gr. SP, was all over the place at 75yds. Moved out to 100yds with the SR-1 target and 120gr PPU Match, did much better. Maybe rifle settling in the stock? First shot a low 6. Made (too much) sight adjustment and second shot high 8. Adjusted again and a 9 at 8 o'clock. One more adjustment and then 17 more in about 15 minutes. The PPU match shot pretty good, ran out of ammo so that was it for the M96 Carl Gustaf 1903.
The sights are horrible on that rifle. The light was very good, but the sights must have been designed for much younger shooter. In bad light at 200 yds it won't be pretty. [puke2]
So now I have some cases to make handloads with. I bought some H4831SC and couple hundred Sierra heads (forget which ones) to use.IMG_2314.JPGIMG_2315.JPGIMG_2316.JPG

57F, sunny, gorgeous. 25 yard range was full at social distancing, but had the 50 to myself. 11 magazines at 50 feet; carry ammo - Buffalo Bore and Speer, as well as PPU and PMC ball. No problems whatsoever. The HSc is one of my top three favorites.

t
EEFED05E-D4E3-493E-AD8E-CD5BEC4A4248.jpeg

You need a front sight cover on that Swedish Mauser; it will help a lot. My '99 Obendorf was the best shooting bolt action rifle I ever had.

Put a spot of white paint on the HSc front sight and it made a big difference today. This is an older pic.

t

Attachments

• IMG_9395.jpeg
    IMG_9395.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 5
That's Murphy's Law in Action. I've been looking for a wood and iron vintage folding chair for more than a year for reenacting....been to many antique stores and yard sales....nope....

t

Finally a chance to go shoot the Swede. Shot half a box of PPU 139gr. SP, was all over the place at 75yds. Moved out to 100yds with the SR-1 target and 120gr PPU Match, did much better. Maybe rifle settling in the stock? First shot a low 6. Made (too much) sight adjustment and second shot high 8. Adjusted again and a 9 at 8 o'clock. One more adjustment and then 17 more in about 15 minutes. The PPU match shot pretty good, ran out of ammo so that was it for the M96 Carl Gustaf 1903.
The sights are horrible on that rifle. The light was very good, but the sights must have been designed for much younger shooter. In bad light at 200 yds it won't be pretty. [puke2]
So now I have some cases to make handloads with. I bought some H4831SC and couple hundred Sierra heads (forget which ones) to use.View attachment 345436View attachment 345437View attachment 345438
Nice, looks like it can hold the black, that puts you in the 90% club thats a 270/300.....crappy rifle.

you need to find a set of these pic from Castboolits/DUTCHMAN
1586218270027.png

I'm still searching for a Swedish Mauser. How come when I didn't want one I'd see them everywhere?
I was trying to get funds squared away when Samco Global had the swede snipers for $450 and a non sniper for $269 or so. I talked one of my friends into buying the sniper. great gun in great shape. shoots lights out and 1" groups are not hard.

My first HSc (12/1942) shot well too; May 2011.

I traded it in a few years ago...notice the right rear of the slide is off true from the grip panel...someone had filed guide lug off the slide.

t
001.JPG

Last edited:
Restocking a 1945 #4T after installing a new barrel.

3qTpbQm.jpg

Hello SKS experts, I have an SKS question I’m hoping somebody can help. Being on lockdown and having a gun range has meant a lot of shooting and looking at some old purchases, and some questions. I bought this Norinco SKS back in the early 90s just before the federal assault weapon ban. It came just like it’s pictured, I still have the box in my storage unit. To the best of my memory, and it’s been almost 30 years ago it was presented as new by the LGS. I’ve actually never fired this rifle, which is sad, I also own and Arsenal AK I’ve never fired but that’s for a different therapy session. My questions follow,

1) Was this duck bill 30 round detachable mag setup an actual Norinco SKS variant? I see pics on the internet but the wiki page doesn’t seem to indicate this was an official variant. Is this duckbill setup a Norinco version or were these built by the importer?

2) If I wanted to could I buy a 10 round fixed box mag and install it in the cut? Were these duckbill mags designed to fit into the space the old 10 rounders went in?

3) Is this duckbill style anything special? If they are official are they rare or anything like that. I’m not pretending it’s an old H&H collectible shotgun level or anything, just curious.

Thank you!

23B9087A-F3D3-43AF-A9B3-15B5A0AB7142.jpegEC760FBB-7123-4766-A3A8-46FD3B2A90DA.jpeg

Hello SKS experts, I have an SKS question I’m hoping somebody can help. Being on lockdown and having a gun range has meant a lot of shooting and looking at some old purchases, and some questions. I bought this Norinco SKS back in the early 90s just before the federal assault weapon ban. It came just like it’s pictured, I still have the box in my storage unit. To the best of my memory, and it’s been almost 30 years ago it was presented as new by the LGS. I’ve actually never fired this rifle, which is sad, I also own and Arsenal AK I’ve never fired but that’s for a different therapy session. My questions follow,

1) Was this duck bill 30 round detachable mag setup an actual Norinco SKS variant? I see pics on the internet but the wiki page doesn’t seem to indicate this was an official variant. Is this duckbill setup a Norinco version or were these built by the importer?

2) If I wanted to could I buy a 10 round fixed box mag and install it in the cut? Were these duckbill mags designed to fit into the space the old 10 rounders went in?

3) Is this duckbill style anything special? If they are official are they rare or anything like that. I’m not pretending it’s an old H&H collectible shotgun level or anything, just curious.

Thank you!

View attachment 350736View attachment 350737

Any SKS experts??

Thank you!

I've seen the duckbill mags for sale at Glenn's in North Reading. They replace the standard mag.

@SKS Ray could probably tell you more about it.

My son and I are in the process of refinishing a couple nice old tiger stripe TRW birch stocks. These are for two Bula M1A builds that have been lingering for a couple years. Time to get ‘em done!

Stripped the old dark finish, sanded out the scratches, steamed the dings, filled the grain. Dry sanding to 220 then wet sanding with teak oil from 240 up to 3000 grit. Strip and paint the butt caps that are in bad shape. Wax and buff, put it all together and then hope the ranges open up soon.

0B91059D-4ACC-4F26-9033-47369B969856.jpeg

Last edited:

Thank you!

Those duckbill magazines,are a hit,or miss deal some work great,and others like shit. The rifle is not rare all someone did is take off the standard fixed magazine,
and put in the duckbill mags.just find yourself a fixed replacement fixed one put it in ,and you are all set.wm_6171648 (2).jpgwm_6171648 (2).jpg

Thank you!

You have a paratrooper version of the SKS (16" barrel vs standard 20") that was made specifically for the US commercial market. (There has been alot of discussion over the years but from everything I have read the paratrooper never saw service with any Chinese forces.) Several importers brought them in the 80's and 90's. They essentially cut dow the barrel and moved the bayo lug and front sight post closer to the gas block. There are a couple of very rare variants of the paratrooper notably the SKS-S and the Navy Arms Cowboy Companion but unfortunately from what I can see yours is not either. . The SKS-S actually had a shorter gas tube so there is an approximate 1" gap between the gas block and the bayo lug. Yours doesn't have that - sorry. The Navy Arms Cowboy Companion was most notable in that the left side of the receiver was tapped for a side mounted scope mount (which it came with) and a very inexpensive 4x Chinese scope but you need to have the gun, the scope mount, and the scope to cash in on the premium price. Many Cowboy Companion owners separated the scope and mount and without those components the gun has no more value than any other paratrooper. The scopes and scope mounts are pretty much unobtanium at this point. I am in the market for a low mileage paratrooper if you decide you want to sell it please send me a private message here on NES. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom