Range Ammo, 9mm, 124 grain / +P

Good morning NES-ers, one and all,

Since you were all very generous with replying to my most recent thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/280362-Arlington-MA

I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask another question. Here goes . . .

I'm in the process of breaking in a new pistol -- a Smith & Wesson SD9VE. For those not in the know, this is *not* a Sigma. With "standard" 115 grain 9mm ammo, the gun is short stroking a bit and only holding open on the last round on occasion. I've tried a couple different brands of 115 grain fodder, all with more or less the same result. I called s&w and they suggested I run some hotter ammo. I know NATO-spec 9mm runs about 3k or 4k psi higher than most civvie 115 grain 9mm ammo. Fiocchi 124 grain was mentioned to me by name. Shooters Outpost in Hooksett I know carries the Fiocchi but I don't get that direction very often.

Can anyone recommend a shop / big-box store where I can buy true NATO-spec or +P FMJ range ammo? Stores within a reasonable distance to me include Cabelas (Berlin, MA), Four Sesaons, Blue Northern (Ayer, MA), Hitman Firearms (Tyngsboro), etc. I already checked in with Granite State Indoor (Hudson, NH) and they don't have any.

Thank you all,

- Brad

I'm in the process of breaking in a new pistol -- a Smith & Wesson SD9VE. For those not in the know, this is *not* a Sigma. With "standard" 115 grain 9mm ammo, the gun is short stroking a bit and only holding open on the last round on occasion. I've tried a couple different brands of 115 grain fodder, all with more or less the same result. I called s&w and they suggested I run some hotter ammo. I know NATO-spec 9mm runs about 3k or 4k psi higher than most civvie 115 grain 9mm ammo. Fiocchi 124 grain was mentioned to me by name. Shooters Outpost in Hooksett I know carries the Fiocchi but I don't get that direction very often.

Can anyone recommend a shop / big-box store where I can buy true NATO-spec or +P FMJ range ammo? Stores within a reasonable distance to me include Cabelas (Berlin, MA), Four Sesaons, Blue Northern (Ayer, MA), Hitman Firearms (Tyngsboro), etc. I already checked in with Granite State Indoor (Hudson, NH) and they don't have any.

Thank you all,

- Brad

I have a SD9VE, are you sure that your not riding the slide lock? I really like the gun for the price, but my one complaint is the slide lock is too big and located to far back toward the grip

FWIW ive run every cheap ammo out there with no problem, but had the same issue with the slide not locking until I realized it was my thumb

Last edited:
I put a lot of rounds through one of those (over 1000), never had a failure of any kind with all different types of ammo.

The only thing i did notice was the plastic guide rod deformed. The gun still shot fine, but i wasn't a fan of the bent guide rod so i bought a 17lb spring and stainless guide rod. It did cycle smoother after that.

http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-...tainless-steel-guide-rod-for-Sigma-and-SD-VE/

All,

Thank you for the replies.

* I'll watch my thumb re: the slide lock.

* Wally World has stopped selling all ZQI ammo. I spoke to ZQI -- they're on the hunt for retailers.

I too am starting to really like the SD9VE but am seriously considering the $20 trigger spring kit from Apex. The factory trigger is just far too long and far too heavy. I was watching my sight picture dance all over the place while waiting for the trigger to break.

Best,

- Brad

All,

* Wally World has stopped selling all ZQI ammo. I spoke to ZQI -- they're on the hunt for retailers.

I too am starting to really like the SD9VE but am seriously considering the $20 trigger spring kit from Apex. The factory trigger is just far too long and far too heavy. I was watching my sight picture dance all over the place while waiting for the trigger to break.

Best,

- Brad
Salem NH WalMart had stacks of ZQ1 9mm and 762x51 yesterday. Must have tons in the warehouse. No 5.56 though.

Try going to your local Walmart and pick up a box of ZQI 9mm. They are nato spec and for low $

Was just at the Wally World in Walpole. They have a dozen or so boxes left at $12.97/50. So I guess they're towards the end of emptying their stock of ZQI's.

Also, note that ZQI 9mm is 123 gr FMJ in case anyone really cares.

I've had very good results with Speer lawman 124gr. Great target ammo. Their target ammos' ballistics closely match that of their self defense ammo. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try going to your local Walmart and pick up a box of ZQI 9mm. They are nato spec and for low $

You may still be able to find ZQ ammo at Wal fart. It's 124 grain NATO round.

Was also going to suggest the above.

... * Wally World has stopped selling all ZQI ammo. I spoke to ZQI -- they're on the hunt for retailers.

Pretty sure W.Boylston and/or Oxford had a lot of it, or maybe it was that Perfecta.

Have you tried cleaning and lubing your slide really well?

All,

Best,

- Brad

No question get the spring kit. Well worth the $20

I don't know the particulars of your S&W, but I would think that you really should not have to go for special ammo to have to run a standard production gun.
The two times I had similar problems was on my Sig, the follower notch was too high, so it would slide lock before the last round, and on a VP9 where I was riding the slide release.

I don't know the particulars of your S&W, but I would think that you really should not have to go for special ammo to have to run a standard production gun.
The two times I had similar problems was on my Sig, the follower notch was too high, so it would slide lock before the last round, and on a VP9 where I was riding the slide release.

This.

It's either a technique problem or a gun problem.

Thank you all,

- Brad

Brad, maybe you should just send it back to S&W. It would probably be a lot cheaper than spending big bucks for + P 9mm ammo. I bought my SD9 about 2 years ago and have put many thousands of rounds through it, probably 3000 plus rounds. I've shot FMJ and every kind of hollow point ammo without a single failure of any kind. My buddy bought one last year and shoots his all the time with no problems at all. Also make sure your thumb is not riding on the slide stop. I used to do that with my Beretta 92 all the time and I was having the same problem as you. Good luck.

Brad, maybe you should just send it back to S&W. It would probably be a lot cheaper than spending big bucks for + P 9mm ammo. I bought my SD9 about 2 years ago and have put many thousands of rounds through it, probably 3000 plus rounds. I've shot FMJ and every kind of hollow point ammo without a single failure of any kind. My buddy bought one last year and shoots his all the time with no problems at all. Also make sure your thumb is not riding on the slide stop. I used to do that with my Beretta 92 all the time and I was having the same problem as you. Good luck.

^this
really shouldnt need +P ammo to help a gun function correctly.
either needs more breakin, user error or should be serviced by S&W

Proper Function has been Achieved !!!!

All,

Before my late-day range session yesterday, I oiled the daylights out of the slide rails, etc. and made certain my thumbs were clear of the slide lock lever. I then let rip with 100 rounds of Winchester White Box (WWB), 50 rounds of Blazer Brass, and about 50 lower-powered hand loads which would not cycle properly in a buddy's glock. With the exception of one round of Blazer not holding open the slide on an empty mag, all rounds functioned perfectly. I ran single shots, double taps, Mozambiques, and mag dumps. The gun simply didn't care. Suffice it to say, it was two hours well spent.

Now to work on my stance, grip and aim . . . . . Oh, and it has become a moral imperative for me to get one of the Apex trigger spring kits.

Thanks to all who replied . . .

- Brad

... Have you tried cleaning and lubing your slide really well?

... I oiled the daylights out of the slide rails, etc. and made certain my thumbs were clear of the slide lock lever. ... With the exception of ..., all rounds functioned perfectly. I ran single shots, double taps, Mozambiques, and mag dumps. The gun simply didn't care. ...

Clean and oil AGAIN, and it will now function even better, since it has broken in some more...

Back
Top Bottom