• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

range recommendation

Hi everyone,

I live in Dighton and I’m looking for a range to join. The Taunton club and Braintree club caught my eye... Taunton is more expensive start up with $150 new member fee... and they only review applications once a month. Braintree is farther... All i have now is a 9mm firearm... so indoor would be fine. I enjoy outdoor range though. Any recommendations? Is there a way to tour ranges before joining to see if you like the place/environment?

Most ranges will be cool with a tour. Send them a message. If you dont want to Email/call you can try going on the weekend If the gates are open. Show up, ask for the President, VP, Range Officer ... tell them you are considering joining and ask for a tour. It will also be good for them to get to know you a little.

I am not a member at either, but I am considering Braintree as my 3rd club since I just dropped out of Old Colony.

A lot depends on what you will want to shoot. I shoot a lot of pistol, so I will join Braintree for that because it is closer. For Rifle I go to Reading and Granby. I am tired of driving 35min just for pistol. Braintree would be 10-15 min for me.

Over the years Braintree has had a lot of businesses complain of "bullet" holes coming from the club. I used to work at a business that found a couple of bullet holes and the club was blamed for it. I know they were forced to do a lot of work. For that, I would expect them to be a little tougher than other clubs.

Ps: in the gun ownership world, the member fee and initiation fee at a club will be your lowest expense. For the amount of BS clubs in MA have to put up with, we have it pretty good and they are pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Have heard good things about Taunton but haven’t been there. Mansfield Fish & Game is I good club in the area too, happy to give you a tour if interested. Independent in Foxboro is ok too, small quiet pistol range w steel silhouettes (it’s on my way home & 3.5 mi from the house so it’s a quick & easy for me),

thanks for these recommendations. Taunton, Mansfield are the closest and on my radar. Braintree seems nice but is farther for me. Will look into the other recs here. i’ll see if i can get in to visit some shortly. still on the hunt for ammo- a range is no good with no ammo -__-

Hopedale is indoor only and 50' max. but if all you want to do is practice with your 9mm it would be fine and you can't beat the price.

Hopedale Pistol & Rifle Club. State of the art ventilation, liberal guest policy, 24/7 access, you can’t go wrong, also with $60.00 annual dues.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and gamble that OP doesn't want to drive from Dighton to Hopedale, to go pew pew.
Might be a nice club, and price of admission is cheap, but the drive, holy shit.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi everyone,

I live in Dighton and I’m looking for a range to join. The Taunton club and Braintree club caught my eye... Taunton is more expensive start up with $150 new member fee... and they only review applications once a month. Braintree is farther... All i have now is a 9mm firearm... so indoor would be fine. I enjoy outdoor range though. Any recommendations? Is there a way to tour ranges before joining to see if you like the place/environment?
Why are you even contemplating the $150 new member fee in your comparison? You just entered a word where you'll spend $150 on ammo in one range trip or two. I'd suggest find a range you like and go for it.....the cost difference of $150 for the membership is a piss hole in a snow bank once you factor in what your going to spend to shoot regularly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and gamble that OP doesn't want to drive from Dighton to Hopedale, to go pew pew.
Might be a nice club, and price of admission is cheap, but the drive, holy shit.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
50 minute drive so I guess so. Maybe he has relatives or friends nearby to make it worth it.

Why are you even contemplating the $150 new member fee in your comparison? You just entered a word where you'll spend $150 on ammo in one range trip or two. I'd suggest find a range you like and go for it.....the cost difference of $150 for the membership is a piss hole in a snow bank once you factor in what your going to spend to shoot regularly.
yep, a non factor if i decide it’s the right range for me. thank you

Back
Top Bottom