• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Report 45/70 Revolver

Glad your ok man and a great reminder to all of us to stay aware at all times. I’ve got chills thinking of this.
I am thinking of going to Granby on Sunday for USPSA... with a 929.

I almost don't want to go now. I feel like I need a week off.

But, if I go and you guys are there, I will have the revolver in the trunk for anyone that wants to check it out.

But, if I go and you guys are there, I will have the revolver in the trunk for anyone that wants to check it out.

half of nes gonna be lined up at your car 😂

Damn glad you are OK! Close call there, and sorry about the damage to a very cool revolver. How was the recoil for the functional shots?

NES is slipping but I'm here to help: Bet that will buff right out. [smile]

Might be worth investigating the light strikes. Anything interfering with the firing pin and/or hammer during the last of its travel?

Damn glad you are OK! Close call there, and sorry about the damage to a very cool revolver. How was the recoil for the functional shots?

NES is slipping but I'm here to help: Bet that will buff right out. [smile]

Might be worth investigating the light strikes. Anything interfering with the firing pin and/or hammer during the last of its travel?
Recoil wasn't terrible. The cowboy style grip made it easy for the gun to ride up. I also didn't try to hold it estady, my arms went with the recoil.

That being said, I don't know if I would want to load some of the loads people describe online. 28 grains (trapdoor load) had a nice recoil already, I can't imagine going to Ruger loads, that is just punishment.

At 25 yards it was shooting about a foot high. That target pic I posted, it was hitting the top left diamond, but I was aiming at the bottom left. The gun comes with tall sights on purpose, it is more of a 100 yard gun or you have to file the front sight.

I don't know what could have been interfering. Mahne it was the transfer bar, maybe it didn't go all the way down when I cocked the hammer, but I have no idea.

Wow - that reminds me of a time back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was with a buddy and we were playing with 1911s at a local indoor range. I was reloading a magazine and heard him fire an odd sounding shot, and I saw him lining up for another shot and screamed “NO!!!”

Sure enough it was a squib he didn’t hear. We pulled the mag, unloaded the chamber, disassembled the gun, and the projectile was jammed in the barrel. We left it with a gunsmith who called us a few days later telling us that he was able to remove the bullet and the gun was working fine. I may have looked like a looney, but I’m glad I screamed out when I did.

This is a good reminder to always be alert. Glad to hear you’re okay. You can replace the gun, but not your eyes or, God forbid, a life. And since you shared it with NES, we’re entitled to whatever lottery winnings you get 😜!

Same response as everyone else.........wow. Glad to hear your ok.

Edit*. I've been fortunate enough that In the 10K + reloads I've done, my only squib came from a box of FACTORY Winchester 9mm.

Last edited:
Damn! Glad you are ok. That must have scared even the guys next to you.
i have been next to 2 exploding guns so far in 30 years , if it was not for the screaming or getting splattered with debris I would have never noticed.
Sucks that this happened , especially with a history of good reloading. It goes to show that it can happen. No matter how careful you think you might be.
1 of the 2 Kabooms I witnessed was factory ammo and soon after it was recalled. Like BI those shooters also both where not physically harmed.
I never see one guy anymore.

Glad you are ok. Now go buy a lottery ticket with all that luck
If I were OP I wouldn't bother with a lottery ticket for the rest of the year. I'd figure not getting hurt used up all my good luck for a while.

I'm super glad you're unhurt! Your health, especially your eyes, hands and handsome good looks, are your most valuable possessions.

Emailing with the guys at MRI. I sent the pics so they could check it out.

They can replace the barrel with shipping included Both ways for $240.

And sent me this

They are designed to split like this so that they don't explode.

"Yes sir, you can certainly get the barrel back if you wish. We can also
check out the light strikes and be sure it works as it should before
sending the pistol back.
This happens more often than you think, where guys tell us that they didn't
hear it or they didn't really notice any difference in the recoil when it
happened.
"

Interesting.

I think I will send it back, and make a desk lamp out of the old barrel or hang it somewhere. I'm definitely going to shoot one at a time if I ever shoot it again, at least for a while.

Hey @Broccoli Iglesias, keep an eye on that thing!

image-jpeg.376942

the-war-of-the-worlds-166.jpg

Emailing with the guys at MRI. I sent the pics so they could check it out.

They can replace the barrel with shipping included Both ways for $240.

And sent me this

Interesting.

I think I will send it back, and make a desk lamp out of the old barrel or hang it somewhere. I'm definitely going to shoot one at a time if I ever shoot it again, at least for a while.
Desk lamp. Excellent idea! [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom