Range Report 45/70 Revolver

You mean the .40 owners?

LOL, damn! I put a 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock 35, not sure what that makes me? I know what it doesn't make me...

@Broccoli Iglesias and his monster pistol!

compensating3.jpg

Hey just bustin' balls. Revolver looks good as new and yes, I'm jealous.

LOL, damn! I put a 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock 35, not sure what that makes me?
Trans?

[laugh] (just kidding)

45/70 is a dude magnet. If I was gay, I would get all the d*ck at the range.

It can be annoying. Everyone has to walk over and tell a story. Im a social person, and That is fine, but sometimes I just want to focus on shooting and not some story about a dude hunting with a 45/70 in 1972.

my friend pete purchased and shot some of the strangest and most fearful firearms ever. most were ideas that came to fruition cause there was time and money to manufacture them and they served no practical purpose. pete thought a 45/70 derringer similar to this American Derringer ~ M-1 ~ .45-70 Govt. made perfect sense and bought one. pete's had 2 stacked barrels where the one in the example i believe is just one. like if you survive the blast and recoil you may need to touch off another quick shot. [thinking] pete, his brothers and friends head to n.h. for a weekend of shooting, mayhem and fun. time to shoot the little guy. i wasn't there but anyone who was still laughs at the story of pete, his 45/70 derringer and the sight of the hammer spur that came back under recoil to embed itself into the center of pete's forehead. after seeking medical treatment the little gun was put away and never saw daylight again. i don't know why but i immediately think of this derringer every time i read this thread.

Awesome man! What bullets? What types of loads?
You try any Ruger #1 loads yet? Those are fun!
I bought a bunch of factory stuff. Some federal and Winchester. Whatever Walmart sells. I think they were 405g or 305. I need to check.

I will try to cast some tomorrow or maybe during the casting seminar to reload.

I was surprised I had some unburnt powder with factory loads.

View attachment 391429
Interesting. We know factories don’t load for optimum efficiency or accuracy. They load for their pockets so whatever powder is cheap I’m guessing.
Maybe the cylinder gap lowering some pressure and not allowing a good burn.

Saw my first squib kaboom today in person. Wrecked a guy's damn fine Springfield Armory M14. Barrel opened up just forward of the gas block just like Broc's barrel but not all the way to the end. Looked a lot like this. Factory ammo. Sorry, I didn't ask what manufacturer. Stay safe people.
boom.png

Saw my first squib kaboom today in person. Wrecked a guy's damn fine Springfield Armory M14. Barrel opened up just forward of the gas block just like Broc's barrel but not all the way to the end. Looked a lot like this. Factory ammo. Sorry, I didn't ask what manufacturer. Stay safe people.
View attachment 391885
You didn't take a pic?

I was looking at my squib barrel with a friend this weekend. If the barrel was longer and the stuck bullet was in the middle, I believe it would look like the pic you posted. Mine was too close to the end and the barrel is pretty short compared to a rifle.

Is the guy OK?
How did the action look? Did the stock get destroyed?

The pics I have seen of rifles usually look really bad.

Interesting. We know factories don’t load for optimum efficiency or accuracy. They load for their pockets so whatever powder is cheap I’m guessing.

Maybe that and a short barrel.
Those loads should be hammers out of a rifle, but, the chambers also enclosed and there 16-20" of burn time.

I was surprised I had some unburnt powder with factory loads.

View attachment 391429

Just a quick thought-
There was a company, I think it was Thompson, or Thompson Center that made these single shot break action handguns in rifle calibers.
Used mostly for hunting and silhouette shoots. They maybe had a 12 or 14" barrel to them.
T/C contender now that I'm looking it up. Christ, what a beast.
Anyways, there was a 45/70 version. 12" I think.
That might be a better load for that hand cannon than rifle data. Might call for a faster powder and lighter heads.
Good luck with it.

Just a quick thought-
There was a company, I think it was Thompson, or Thompson Center that made these single shot break action handguns in rifle calibers.
Used mostly for hunting and silhouette shoots. They maybe had a 12 or 14" barrel to them.
T/C contender now that I'm looking it up. Christ, what a beast.
Anyways, there was a 45/70 version. 12" I think.
That might be a better load for that hand cannon than rifle data. Might call for a faster powder and lighter heads.
Good luck with it.
A Contender is on the list.
Either the Contender with a 45/70 barrel, or a SW .460.

I am trying to decide which one I get first.

Or I might order a BFR with an 18" barrel, because I am (slowly) working on something.

#FirstWorldProblems.

A Contender is on the list.
Either the Contender with a 45/70 barrel, or a SW .460.

I am trying to decide which one I get first.

Or I might order a BFR with an 18" barrel, because I am (slowly) working on something.

#FirstWorldProblems.

Don't give up on the BFR. I'm shooting it vicariously through you.
That things too much even for my massive, attuned to harness the power of .40 billboard like arms.
What I should have said as I thought about it on the ride into work this morning was-

Maybe load data for a T.C. Contender would be better suited for your BFR than rifle load data. Shorter barrel and all that, compares more to what you have than a 24" trapdoor.

My guess is most 45-70's, probably 99%, are rifles with barrels longer than 10in.

Don't give up on the BFR. I'm shooting it vicariously through you.
That things too much even for my massive, attuned to harness the power of .40 billboard like arms.
What I should have said as I thought about it on the ride into work this morning was-

Maybe load data for a T.C. Contender would be better suited for your BFR than rifle load data. Shorter barrel and all that, compares more to what you have than a 24" trapdoor.
I dont think I have ever seen Contender load data. All the data I find is for rifles. But that is one the reasons I enjoy shooting 45/70, there is a lot of room for trying different loads, from soft to bone crushing and 300g bullets to 600g bullets, smokeless and black powder. Look at the load Michael has for loading 3 lead balls, lol.

It is a fun round.

The Contender is closer to a rifle with the 12-14" barrel, so rifle load data works better. It also doesn't have a cylinder gap.

I dont think I have ever seen Contender load data. All the data I find is for rifles. But that is one the reasons I enjoy shooting 45/70, there is a lot of room for trying different loads, from soft to bone crushing and 300g bullets to 600g bullets, smokeless and black powder. Look at the load Michael has for loading 3 lead balls, lol.

It is a fun round.

The Contender is closer to a rifle with the 12-14" barrel, so rifle load data works better. It also doesn't have a cylinder gap.
I thought you weren’t going to tell anyone about my 3 balls

Back
Top Bottom