• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Report - Silver Bear 9mm Ammo

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
My FFL just got in some Silver Bear 9mm, mainly 115 gr FMJ but a little HP also. Being a small operation he can't compete with Wally World or anyone else on ammo cost but he wanted to have something on the shelf to offer people. I tried some in several of my firearms and am reasonably impressed with this stuff. The firearms I used were a Beretta CX-4 Storm, a Glock 19, and a Sig P229.

This ammo is Berdan-primed and seems to be crimped by three "dimples" equally spaced around the case mouth. It is described as "115 Grain Bimetal FMJ Bullet (does not say what metal(s) but is vaguely copper-colored), Nickel Plated Bimetal Case, Non-Corrosive Berdan Primer". Both the primer and the bullet seem to be sealed by a lacquer (?) compound.

This ammo cycled reliably and seems to have slightly less recoil (and noise) than Winchester WB 115 gr FMJ. It prints a tad bit higher out of my pistols, about 1-2" at 30-35', but seems to print closer to POA at 50 yards with the Beretta carbine. The carbine is pretty new and not completely sighted in yet. I was on a 200 yard rifle range with the Glock and tried 10 shots at a large (40" x 60" metal plate). I was rewarded with two or three loud clangs as I managed to hit the plate at that distance.

The downside is that this ammo seems to leave a bit more powder residue in the barrel than the Winchester but not enough to be really dirty.

Overall I think that given a choice I would prefer the Winchester. But if all I had was the Silver Bear I would not hesitate to shoot it for practise. If you see some and the price is good, I would suggest you give it a try.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27979

I just bought some Silver Bear last week from Northeast Trading. I got the .223. I have not tried the hand ammo. I believe the .223 is a steel case with zinc plate. If I remember correctly the price was slightly higher then Wolf ammo. I picked up 3 boxes and did not have any misfires, FTF or, any other problems. It burns a little cleaner then the wolf, "what doesn’t" and it don’t turn your fingers different colors like some other cheap ammos do. I think it makes fine range ammo.

I used to shoot Silver Bear 9mm in IDPA and IPSC all the time. I found it hit steel much harder than WWB.

Silver Bear lost its appeal when a case I bought proved to cause endless failures to feed.

Bummer!

That said, you can't beat the price for SB.

Who knows, maybe one day soon I will be a SB-man again.

Back
Top Bottom