Range Safety Rant

Sorry, thought she had a real gun[smile]

Mvc-012f-sm.jpg

I knew what she meant, as I got to handle it at the last SAS shoot.

The best way with the Sub2000 is to break open the action!

Last edited:
I'm glad I get the range to myself most of the time too.
If I don't get the range to myself and it's with somebody I don't know, I set up on the far right.
I want to shoot with people that have safety rules in the front of their mind when at the range.
There's bullet holes all over the place.
I've never yelled at anyone, but I have more than once asked people that were behind the line and taking guns out of their bags to please handle guns at the shooting station only and to make the gun safe.

If I plopped my bag down on the table in front of the line when somebody was sweeping downrange I should expect to be yelled at for doing it.

Then again of course, safety is only academic when there is a gun handling area behind the line with glass windows.

"my" range in Woburn has a no touching ammunition or guns during a cold range, but then it is pretty much one of the saftiest-ness ranges I know of.

This is why I like shooting in the local gravel pit so much more.

the rules are for everyone's safety. If a club asks that you don't handle firearms or ammo when someone is down range what's the big deal. I know YOU are all the safest shooters in the world and are so SUPER responsible that you would NEVER have an accident just by simply handling ammo while someone is down range.....But what about the guy who is a little pre-occupied with his girlfriend that just broke up with him? Maybe he's not thinking so clearly and loads up and lets one fly before anyone can say anything.

What if you are down range when that happens? You'd be kind of pissed if you lived......you be the first one bitching to have the rule changed....you know...if you lived.

So it takes a few extra minutes to load up after someone gets back from down range. Are those pecious few minutes potentially worth a life? If you think they are please let me know and I won't invite you to shoot with me.

I got me some real guns!
realguns.jpg

Top one's mine, bottom one's Greg's. Thing is they don't fit in my pocket like my little pal the Kel-Tec. We've got plenty of ammo for both, too! [smile]

And plenty more guns, that's all Greg wanted to haul out right before dinner [laugh]

Edited to add: Greg says we actually have some 'range flags', if that's the right term, I'll check them out in the Kel-Tec later on. Thanx, all, for the info!

Ah, that must be the new baby. She's a beauty. [wink]

The slide doesn't lock on the Seecamp either. Wussy little guns. [wink] Still, no one wants to walk in front of the business end of one.

I don't think there are many rules at the range I go to. You can only shoot JHP (or slugs out of shotguns). You have to use eyes and ears. Only shoot at targets in your lane. That's about it. I've never seen an RO, but you can see what's going on in the range from the front counter.

the rules are for everyone's safety. If a club asks that you don't handle firearms or ammo when someone is down range what's the big deal. I know YOU are all the safest shooters in the world and are so SUPER responsible that you would NEVER have an accident just by simply handling ammo while someone is down range.....But what about the guy who is a little pre-occupied with his girlfriend that just broke up with him? Maybe he's not thinking so clearly and loads up and lets one fly before anyone can say anything.

What if you are down range when that happens? You'd be kind of pissed if you lived......you be the first one bitching to have the rule changed....you know...if you lived.

So it takes a few extra minutes to load up after someone gets back from down range. Are those pecious few minutes potentially worth a life? If you think they are please let me know and I won't invite you to shoot with me.

Without handling a gun, how exactly would the hypothetical person "let one fly"? I've only been shooting for a little over 50 years, so I probably don't know all that much about shooting; and I've only got a minor in Physics, so there's undoubtedly a lot lacking in my knowledge there, so please help me out. Exactly what sort of accident might hypothetically result from handling ammunition (but not a gun) that could in any way affect someone down range? Maybe a person's body temperature is a little higher than average, so that ammunition could cook off in their hands, or their fingernails are sharp enough to puncture the primers and set off a round. That could indeed be uncomfortable to the person in whose hands the round detonated, but wouldn't in any way pose a risk to someone 20 feet away, unless one counts the possibility of a heart attack at the sound. Yes, I'm familiar with the USPSA rules (I'm a NROI Range Officer), but that's a totally different situation, with the rule motivated by a need to control and monitor behavior. Think about it a minute. Does handling ammunition or loading/unloading magazines in and of itself pose any risks to you? If so, what precautions do you take to protect yourself? If not, then why would it threaten someone downrange? If I'm an sombody else's club, I'll follow whatever rules they have; that doesn't mean that I have to believe every one of them is justified by reasonable concerns for safety.

Ken

Without handling a gun, how exactly would the hypothetical person "let one fly"?

I'm just refering to the possibility that some one loads a mag and without thinking picks up the firearm and locks it in. If you handle nothing when someone is down range there is zero chance of something happening.

Physics and years of shooting aside things happen. I've been shooting half as long as you and I've seen some pretty stupid acts. To me, it's not worth the risk and I don't mind the "step away" rule..

LenS, I believe the rule at Mansfield is that when the range goes cold, everyone steps back behind the yellow line, and no equipment is to be handled at the firing line. No digging into range bags, loading mags, adjusting sights...ect.

Another rule there is that you are only allowed to bring as many guests as you can "safely control".

I personally speak to anyone who is acting in an unsafe manner because I am quite adverse to being shot at, guns pointed at me, or anyone else.

BUZZ. Unload , lock open , step behind line.
BUZZ. Safe range , go on down , or shoot the shite with your neighbors.

If I am behind the line , and my rifle is over there on the bench on the other side of the line 10 feet away , loading mags is as safe as drinking coffee.

If that rule exists at your range , it's a silly one. But it's the rule , follow them all or join a new club.

Depicts, thanks for the info.

So far every time I've been at Mansfield F&G it has either been just myself or with someone I brought with me, so we've all gone downrange to setup/tear-down/change targets together each time. Thus, it hasn't been an issue to date.

I'm just refering to the possibility that some one loads a mag and without thinking picks up the firearm and locks it in. If you handle nothing when someone is down range there is zero chance of something happening.

I think the chances of someone ignoring the cease fire completely and
doing the same thing are about equal, sans the loading magazine part. If
someone is THAT ignorant about what is going on at the range, the same
thing could happen.

So, does this mean that before the line goes cold, that all the magazines should be
unloaded, too? [rolleyes] You never know, someone could easily pick up a magazine,
insert it into a gun and start shooting. [rolleyes]

Despite how dumb this rule is, if I'm at an event or at a club where it is
in effect, I will obey the wishes of the host(s) in terms of complying
with it. That still, however, does not stop it from being dumb.

-Mike

At my range we can shoot from 9 am until sundown we have a key for the two gates to get in no RO except on Sunday when range is open to public. Only had one problem with cease fire at my range in 20+ years our shooting "lanes are not marked at 100 yds was using a spotting scope to get him lined up correctly and got grief from one of the "old timers"
I do agree on TALKING to someone who has made a mistake
screaming only begets screaming and a defensive attitude from the screamee.

you'll all hate my club then...You can't carry in our building unless it's the indoor range. Otherwise...lock it in your car. We can't handle ammo or firearms when someone is down range either. I don't think it's a bad rule.

The trap and skeet guys load their bags while waiting behind the line for thier turn So it's a little different for them. We don't have tables behind our firing line on the outside range so the only area you can handle the ammo would be at the benches on the line and that is not allowed when someone is down range. But in all the years I've been there I'm usually shooting alone or with a friend I bring with me.

The indoor range you can handle firearms in the room outside but you cannot handle the ammo out there....that's because people usually clean their firearms out there. But there is no handling of firearms or ammo in that room during a match. That is only allowed on the line just because there are too many people in the room during a match.

Back
Top Bottom