• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range theatrics

This+isn+t+any+different+than+feeding+live+mice+to+your+_852be1832e802a77c009f0e3977efac6.jpg

I see these guys at the indoor range all the time. usually cant hit the target but they think they look cool. It is hard to keep from bursting out laughing.

That guy is theater all by himself.

not sure if serious.

Pat McNamara (Mac) has 22 years of Special Operations experience, 13 of which were in 1st SFOD-D. He has extensive experience in hostile fire/combat zones in the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. He trains individuals at basic and advanced levels of marksmanship and combat tactics.

I see these guys at the indoor range all the time. usually cant hit the target but they think they look cool. It is hard to keep from bursting out laughing.

They probably have the "IDPA cameraman vest" with the washers in the corners, too. [rofl]

-Mike

We've all been guilty of stuff like this at one point or another... The key is to train with good friends and instructors that will call you out on it, and keep you honest. I think I've been very lucky in that respect. Both in my own life, and the pipehitters on NES that I get to train with. I'm still breaking bad habits every day.

Pat Mac is on my 2016 short list with Mike Pannone

I don't see anything wrong with what he said or did. I actually LOL'D at the I quit bit. I'd love to take one of his classes.

I've always thought that drilling "look left and right" after ever time you shoot was a bad idea. Every time I see somebody doing it, they're not seeing anything. It's like they go on autopilot after they shoot and have to do their head swivel before they're allowed to holster again. If you're doing something enough to do it without thinking about it, when it's something that requires thought and observation, ur doin it wrong.

My back hurts after watching that.....man I'm out of shape....
I don't have a lot of training. Took a course at SW years ago.

I do see some of these guys at the range that do things like turn their heads...I don't even know if they are really looking at anything or "aware". I know one thing though almost everyone of them stands straight up when they do turn their heads and hold the pistol in tight like he described....I know for the most part. If I actual discharge my weapon then have time to look around I most likely will be looking for a exit away from danger and to cover?
Few weeks ago young man was shooting prone with his pistol.
I figured maybe practicing for a cmp match or something....well then he rolled over onto his back and took 2 shots.....Right into the dirt....RSO happen to be there and ripped him a new one. That stuff just doesn't give at this club.

Last edited:
Hahaha, I like that video and guy. The right/left check reminds me of how my 4yo checks for traffic. She whips her head back and forth real quick and is ready to go. When I ask if she actually saw anything , she never has an answer (not really looking).

I think people (not everyone in this thread, just people in general) should be careful to not throw out the baby with the bathwater. I haven't been in a gunfight, but I've been in quite a few scuffles. I've gotten sucker punched because I was too locked in on what was in front of me. I don't think the answer to 'not seeing anything' when you are looking around is to stop looking around. The answer is to 'actually see things'. If you were out on the range with us (meaning some of the guys I train with) and we were doing some of the drills we do... I'd make a pretty decent wager that you wouldn't just pop up and rapidly move around without 'scanning'.

If you've read or seen more of Pat than just this 1.5 minute video, you would know that what he is really getting at is just checking your work through your sights, which would include scanning, after ensuring that initial threat is dealt with. Like I said, I've never been in a gunfight, but I've pointed guns at people, and there is great value in greater situational awareness WHEN SAFE. It's not just about scanning for more things to shoot. It's looking for good guys, looking for cover, looking for help, looking out for innocent people, or a dozen other things.

Hahaha, I like that video and guy. The right/left check reminds me of how my 4yo checks for traffic. She whips her head back and forth real quick and is ready to go. When I ask if she actually saw anything , she never has an answer (not really looking).

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's nothing wrong with looking. Just the opposite, it could be vital to the situation. I'm just saying people need to train to see, not to just move their head left and right. Maybe you should be putting things up on either side that they have to recount details of after every drill you run them through.

Back
Top Bottom