• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ranges near Walpole, MA?

I have been looking on Google for ranges near me, but there's nothing like getting recommendations from a group of like-minded individuals. I am looking for a range within roughly 30 mins of Walpole, MA that does not require NRA membership. The only range around here I have been to is American Firearms School in Attleboro, but that place is $225/year and is sometimes so crowded you have to wait hours to get a lane. Its also pretty dirty.

I'd like a club that has both indoor and outdoor ranges, but other than that I'm not too picky. Having 24 hour access or very open hours would be nice, but driving time to the range is the most important characteristic. Do any of you know any ranges around here?

There is a range in Walpole on Lincoln road....no indoor though. I used to be a member...great people.

Ame's Rifle and pistol is not too far in North Easton.

Echo,

In Medfield there is Westwood Gun Club. Good outdoor facilities and rifle ranges, including up to 300 meter rifle on specified days, but no indoor range.

Then in Millis there is Fin, Feather and Fur. There is an indoor range, but the outdoor ranges are very limited. They do have great skeep and trap setups.

I shoot at Westwood, but long for an indoor range on days with crappy weather. Let me know if you'd like to check it out. Be glad to have you as a guest.

Best,

Rich

Then in Millis there is Fin, Feather and Fur. There is an indoor range, but the outdoor ranges are very limited. They do have great skeep and trap setups.

How limited is limited? Is it common to have to wait for a lane? I mainly shoot pistols so I don't need huge outdoor ranges; just enough to enjoy myself on a nice summer day [grin]

I'm not sure about the NRA requirements but here goes a few that I believe weren't listed. There is a range in Sharon, not to far away from Crescent Ridge, I can't recall the exact name though. I believe there is another near Lake Massapog too. The other that is just about 30 minutes away is in Mansfield. They are in the process of building an indoor range after years of difficulty with the town. I know there are other members on this site that can give you better info, but it is a start.

If you are into pistol, on the second and fourth wed of the month. walpole dies a combat pistol league...lots of fun and a good way to break into action pistol.

Ames has a steel pit as well, you can shot a variety of targets as well as paper. If you are interested in checking it out, I would be happy to show you the club.

Mansfield F&G. Outdoors only (indoor range is in process but will most likely take a number of years to complete due to $$ needed to complete the project), but has a nice 50yd range that allows one to shoot at any distance plus a 100yd range.

Whoops, sorry but they do require NRA membership.

Sharon Fish & Game Club is off East street, 303 East Street Sharon, MA.
It has an indoor range & outdoor range. 24 hour access to the indoor range. Nice bunch of folks, I am a new member there myself. There is also trap & skeet shooting.
No NRA membership required.

Massapoag Sportsmen's Club - Belcher Street - Sharon, MA
They have indoor & outdoor ranges, Trap & skeet.
http://www.massapoagsportsmensclub.com/

- jason

Sharon Fish & Game Club is off East street, 303 East Street Sharon, MA.
It has an indoor range & outdoor range. 24 hour access to the indoor range. Nice bunch of folks, I am a new member there myself. There is also trap & skeet shooting.
No NRA membership required.

Massapoag Sportsmen's Club - Belcher Street - Sharon, MA
They have indoor & outdoor ranges, Trap & skeet.
http://www.massapoagsportsmensclub.com/

- jason

The OP needs to be aware of this, as posted in:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1012947&postcount=3

- Sharon F&G - now has some onerous rules (per president: 5 rds max loaded pistol indoor range, 6 rds max loaded outdoor range, single-load only in concrete tube for CF rifle), has decent skeet and trap on Sundays.

How limited is limited? Is it common to have to wait for a lane? I mainly shoot pistols so I don't need huge outdoor ranges; just enough to enjoy myself on a nice summer day [grin]

I've only visited there once to check it out. There was no one using the pistol range on a Sunday afternoon. The outdoor range is considered a pistol range, although rimfire rifle is allowed. No centerfire rifle is allowed.

Check it out here:

http://www.finfurandfeather.us/Ranges/ranges.html

I belong to the Millis Fin Fur and Feather, and I have never ever had to wait for a lane either outdoor or indoor. It's kind of more of a skeet, trap club (the crowds are usually there). In fact I'd say 90% of the time, I'm the only one at either the indoor or outdoor pistol range. There are probably 8 indoor stalls and at least as many outdoor stalls for pistol. The major downside is, as RichC mentioned, there's no rifle range at all.

This past summer they completed a complete overhaul of the indoor range HVAC and air filtration system.

Number 6

I don't know if Taunton is within 30 minutes or if they do/don't require NRA membership, but it might be worth looking at. They have a website. I've never been there, so can't offer any intel about the places (2 locations separated by a few miles).

Echo,

In Medfield there is Westwood Gun Club. Good outdoor facilities and rifle ranges, including up to 300 meter rifle on specified days, but no indoor range.

I shoot at Westwood, but long for an indoor range on days with crappy weather. Let me know if you'd like to check it out. Be glad to have you as a guest.

Best,

Rich

Aren't there THREE clubs just by Medfield?
Westwood Gun Club in Medfield
Maspenock Rod and Gun Club in Milford
Fin Fur & Feather is not too far in Millis.

There are two clubs in Sharon.
Sharon Fish & Game
Massapoag Sportsmen's Club

Any of these clubs are good for outdoor 50 foot pistol shooting. FF&F does not have a long range rifle range AFAIK.
Maspenock has a 3 lane 100 yard rifle range in addition to small outdoor pistol range.

FF&F has a lot of smoking in the clubhouse. I believe Maspenock allows smoking. I believe Sharon is SMOKE-FREE.

When you go to bullseye events AVOID the BRAINTREE Club because they are smokers from hell. This is more worrying than the lead containment in my book.

Wrentham has outdoor ranges only, but holds (on average) 2 matches a month for rifle/pistol shooters, plus the trap league.

It also has a stocked pond.

Unsure about Walpole Sportsman's Assn, but there should be a thread in this sub-forum about Westwood Gun Club . . . I know that there are numerous Westwood members and past/current officers on NES that I'm sure would be happy to answer any of your questions.

I am a member and past president of the Westwood gun club. Give me a PM,and I will try to answer any questions you have. One thing I will tell you is we do not have an indoor range our bathrooms are two porta-potty's. That said, I think it is one of the best clubs around.

Last edited:
I joined Walpole Sportsman's Association in November and had been hanging around for a few months before then. Walpole is a good club. Their outdoor pistol/rifle range has a 25 yard and 100 yard section, and they have one skeet field, several trap fields, and a five stand field. you may have noted from the website that they stock pheasant on the property each year for member hunting. I think people do some coyote hunting and some trapping there as well. There is also a decent clubhouse, and a number of family/social things going on. they also have a lot of archery stuff going on but I don't participate in that stuff.

There are publicly announced activities like the Thursday night steak and clays which are great events. You go and shoot trap, skeet and fivestand starting at 6 PM, and when you're done, retire to the clubhouse for a nice steak dinner. I forget the price for the dinner, but it's something reasonable like ten bucks. guests at these publicized activities are encouraged, and many guests and non-members (like myself originally) show up on their own. If you're interested in showing up at some point to one of these let me know and I may be able to meet you.

Walpole is lonely, you may only see other people on a weekend on the range. They have five-stand, whatever that is. Combat pistol league for $4 if you can take and dish out a good ribbing.
Excellent deer hunting, trout fishing, 3D shoots, outdoor and indoor archery. edin508 can fill you in on anything else.

Westwood has better range house with a wood stove and trap next to the rifle range. richc and BobP have allowed me to use their generosity on many occasions. The people I've met are good folk and are not afraid of EBRs.

Just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone was a member at Walpole. Westwood does not appear to be accepting new memberships, and Walpole is my next closest club. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom