Rat Worx 20/20 Precision Steyr AUG trigger sear warning

One of the big downsides of a bullpop is the weird trigger. While I don't mind the trigger to much, and frankly haven't used enough precision guns to even know what the hell a great trigger is, I still figured I'd address it and see if I can make it a little more crisp.

Rat Worx sells an aluminum sear that you put into the trigger pack to replace the plastic sear. All the parts except the pins, springs and safety lever in the AUG trigger pack are plastic oddly enough.

The part is not cheap, its $100 for a small piece of metal. I've had good experiences with Rat Worx in the past and don't mind the premium.

Well, it doesn't work correctly. It actually makes the rifle dangerous. The part doesn't appear to be the exact same or at least needed dimensions. Searching the internet shows many instances from 2021 of people having to remove material from the trigger pack housing in order to have it correctly work. One person stated rat worx would mill off some material from the sear for it to fit, however, the customer had to pay for shipping both ways.

With the new sear in, the trigger has what's essentially 75% of the trigger pull dead space. So dead actually that the trigger isn't rebounding when you let off pressure, it's hung on something. Looking at the pack and reproducing a slow pull, the sear is actually hanging on the hammer. The dead space with no rebound is due to the hammer being able to rest on the sear while resisting the triggers spring to put it back into its normal spot. In other words, its a hair from firing and it's not going back to its default spot till you pull that trigger.

The trigger break itself is a mess due to it being hung.

Normally I wouldnt post something like this unless the company refused to help. However, given that there are a LOT of recent complaints about this Rat Worx doesn't get the pass on the initial public red flag. They know this part is having problems fitting into a lot of trigger packs, and they are charging $100 for it. Not cool.

I will update the thread with what Rat Worx decides to do. I hope they make it right without trying to make me pay to ship back a defective part for repairs. Not going to be thrilled with them. I also don't really want to remove material off my trigger pack.

Do you have any idea if this was a certain lot/batch or if something changed from a certain date moving forward? I have one in my AUG and haven't encountered any issues so far, mine was purchased in 2020.

Do you have any idea if this was a certain lot/batch or if something changed from a certain date moving forward? I have one in my AUG and haven't encountered any issues so far, mine was purchased in 2020.
From searching, there are claims (i cant confirm or deny) that there are tiny differences in the trigger packs body mold.

Its hitting a stop that's obviously intentionally there, but by a tiny amount and a tiny bit too soon. If I had to guess from looking at everything this is the prime offender.

In the posted photo its on the left side. The sear is pushed against it when triggers pulled. The ratworx part appears to be incorrectly fitted for it. In this photo the stock sear is in.

Attachments

• 20210906_150519.jpg
    20210906_150519.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 18
The trigger pack, factory sear and aftermarket sear have been mailed in at my dime (both ways) to ratworx to have both sears properly fitted to the trigger pack.

RW has been nice about it, however still not thrilled I have to pay for shipping when its a known problem not mentioned on the product page. Ill post an update when I get it back in a few weeks

Finally got it back on the range. Trigger is a lot better than stock.

Id recommend the part to any AUG owner. Ratworx was easy to work with, however as mentioned above I wish they were more up front about trigger pack fitting issues. Would of been ideal to just mail my pack in and have it milled out and installed rather the part sent to my house, then the pack and part sent back to ratworx and then sent to me.

Regardless still worth the buy.

I have one in my AUG. Plus the Trigger Tamer. The gun is really just a range toy. Because it is not drop safe. Great trigger pull on it tho. To bad the hammer drops if you do the bump test on the ground. Don't have to hit the buttstock too hard either. Of course I got my parts about 6 years ago.

I have one in my AUG. Plus the Trigger Tamer. The gun is really just a range toy. Because it is not drop safe. Great trigger pull on it tho. To bad the hammer drops if you do the bump test on the ground. Don't have to hit the buttstock too hard either. Of course I got my parts about 6 years ago.
Yes... I do believe I saw when you combined the Tamer with the Rat Worx sear it becomes not drop safe...

I also looked at the trigger tamer but ended up getting the Rat Worx sear. I wouldn't do both, personally. The Rat Worx has made the trigger in my AUG way better, then again, I'm primarily used to mil surp triggers, so most stuff is nice by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom