RBG Replacement Supreme Court Appointment megathread

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed there were so many good 2A cases and in the end our own courts wouldn't defend our civil liberties. At this point I'll make it a give and take. If abortion is severely curtailed but gun rights expanded, I'll take it. Hell if it takes a 9-0 court to fix gun rights, then so be it.

Reactions: AHM

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed there were so many good 2A cases and in the end our own courts wouldn't defend our civil liberties.
I find myself wondering whether if we get that next seat,
the court will suddenly flip and start taking 2A cases
(and ruling the right way on them).

In other words, we are told that on a closely divided court,
both sides shy away from rolling the dice on some issues.

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roberts is still controlled opposition. I don't know how much relative power he wields in a 'real' 5-4 court. I'm not sure one more good one gets us 5 solid justices.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it takes just 4 justices to consent to take a case and then with Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and with the addition of Coney Barrett the Chief J can rule with the liberals all he wants that fake conservative globalist neocon turd

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So it takes just 4 justices to consent to take a case and then with Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and with the addition of Coney Barrett the Chief J can rule with the liberals all he wants that fake conservative globalist neocon turd
In that scenario Roberts may retire to preserve his “legacy” that matters to him more than judicial consistency. Saves him from ending his career in the minority of a bunch of conservative and constitutionalist rulings.

Probably just my wishful thinking — he’s only 65.

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
In that scenario Roberts may just retire to preserve his “legacy” that matters to him more than judicial consistency. Or maybe that’s my wishful thinking — he’s only 65.
The normal age every other profession tries to retire, but if you're screwing over the people then you want to be in there until you're 90! I suppose its to make sure their crimes are never found out.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The normal age every other profession tries to retire, but if you're screwing over the people then you want to be in there until you're 90! I suppose its to make sure their crimes are never found out.
I don’t know, I’m no ideologue like RBG and want to enjoy retirement, but Roberts was appointed at 50 and only served 15 years so far. I’d squeeze out a few more with an opportunity like the SCOTUS.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don’t know, I’m no ideologue like RBG and want to enjoy retirement, but Roberts was appointed at 50 and only served 15 years so far. I’d squeeze out a few more with an opportunity like the SCOTUS.
65 yrs old with 15 yrs on the bench full retirement benefits for life. Same for 70/10 yrs.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roberts is still controlled opposition. I don't know how much relative power he wields in a 'real' 5-4 court. I'm not sure one more good one gets us 5 solid justices.
is it not the PRESIDENT's choice on who is chief justice?
If i am not mistaking, Trump can just say "Kavanugh is chief now"

edit: nope, the president appoints the chief justice, but can not change who a sitting chief justice is:
A Chief Justice appointment may be made only when there is, or is scheduled to be, a vacancy in the position of Chief Justice; the President may not use the occasion of an Associate Justice vacancy to appoint someone to replace a sitting Chief Justice.

Trump would have to "Scalia" justice Roberts, and that is not Trump's style.

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it not the PRESIDENT's choice on who is chief justice?
If i am not mistaking, Trump can just say "Kavanugh is chief now"

edit: nope, the president appoints the chief justice, but can not change who a sitting chief justice is:
A Chief Justice appointment may be made only when there is, or is scheduled to be, a vacancy in the position of Chief Justice; the President may not use the occasion of an Associate Justice vacancy to appoint someone to replace a sitting Chief Justice.

Trump would have to "Scalia" justice Roberts, and that is not Trump's style.
If Trump has access to whatever dirt is on Roberts maybe he could be persuaded to retire early rather than face the shame...

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don’t see how congress can amend the constitution with just a bill. I would think that this would require a constitutional amendment, period?
It’s just a symbolic political gesture to fire up their base. Would be nice if it backfired by reminding people why SCOTUS has lifetime appointments: to help them function outside politics.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don’t see how congress can amend the constitution with just a bill. I would think that this would require a constitutional amendment, period?
1. They are retarded.
2. They hate this country.
3. Their goal is to bring out the emotions and anger amongst the retards that follow them. They know people are too stupid, so when the bill gets shut down they will use it to bitch about Rs and how evil they are, rinse and repeat.

If all these people went home for 6 months and did absolutely nothing, you would see how everything would improve in this country.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If Trump has access to whatever dirt is on Roberts maybe he could be persuaded to retire early rather than face the shame...
How about during the first year of Trump's second term? I bet he could get two, maybe three more appointments in during his second term.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In that scenario Roberts may retire to preserve his “legacy” that matters to him more than judicial consistency. Saves him from ending his career in the minority of a bunch of conservative and constitutionalist rulings.

Probably just my wishful thinking — he’s only 65.
But he also has a history of seizures since joining the court so he's got an easy out......"Retiring to spend time with family"

Although the way things are looking.....if he really was on the pedo flights he's not gonna have any choice but to step down

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, sure; but hold that thought...

Daily Caller: House Democrats Preparing Bill To Impose Term Limits On Supreme Court
Sometime in the past decade
when the Donks were the majority
in one side of Congress or the other,
they filed a few manifestly dumbass bills to troll Republicans.

The GOP actually had the stones to turn out and vote Yea en masse.
The Donks had to do heavy lifting
("hurr-durr, this was a mere expression of legislative intent...")
to kill their own bill,
and in the process looked to everyone just like the idiots they really are.

So please rush that sucker to the floor.
What you want is a hasty bill with a blind spot
where Trump can turn around and re-nominate Thomas
(or whatever other conservative they're trying to broom),
and not re-nominate Breyer
(or whatever other moonbat their moonbat scheme forces them to sacrifice, in pursuit of Thomas).

Pass the House, send it to the Senate.

As the GOP Senate considers it (or maybe even after they pass it pro-forma),
let Trump hold up the bill for the cameras;
express doubts about its constitutionality;
and explain how he will use it to remove the moonbat deadwood from the Court.

Donk Heads Explode.

He could even lob a grenade at Roberts by signing it.
Someone would try and get the law ruled unconstitutional,
but SCOTUS would have a conflict of interest - could they rule on it?

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, sure; but hold that thought...

Sometime in the past decade
when the Donks were the majority
in one side of Congress or the other,
they filed a few manifestly dumbass bills to troll Republicans.

The GOP actually had the stones to turn out and vote Yea en masse.
The Donks had to do heavy lifting
("hurr-durr, this was a mere expression of legislative intent...")
to kill their own bill,
and in the process looked to everyone just like the idiots they really are.

So please rush that sucker to the floor.
What you want is a hasty bill with a blind spot
where Trump can turn around and re-nominate Thomas
(or whatever other conservative they're trying to broom),
and not re-nominate Breyer
(or whatever other moonbat their moonbat scheme forces them to sacrifice, in pursuit of Thomas).

Pass the House, send it to the Senate.

As the GOP Senate considers it (or maybe even after they pass it pro-forma),
let Trump hold up the bill for the cameras;
express doubts about its constitutionality;
and explain how he will use it to remove the moonbat deadwood from the Court.

Donk Heads Explode.

He could even lob a grenade at Roberts by signing it.
Someone would try and get the law ruled unconstitutional,
but SCOTUS would have a conflict of interest - could they rule on it?
You’re a smart cookie, or an evil genius. Either way, I want you working for The Don as a strategist!!

PeterC

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, so getting an Amendment on track means initiating a Constitutional Convention, right ? I think then all bets are off and all kinds of additional Amendments (oh, let's abolish the 2nd now, shall we ?) can be added to the Agenda. Is it worth opening that can of worms to get this, relatively, hamstrung Amendment passed ?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, so getting an Amendment on track means initiating a Constitutional Convention, right ? I think then all bets are off and all kinds of additional Amendments (oh, let's abolish the 2nd now, shall we ?) can be added to the Agenda. Is it worth opening that can of worms to get this, relatively, hamstrung Amendment passed ?

NO. You don't need a convention to propose an amendment

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we all in agreement that Amy Barrett is going to be the nominee? I don't like the sound of this Lagoa from Florida or whatever her name is. She sounds like Roberts with a kunt.

Top Bottom