RBG Replacement Supreme Court Appointment megathread

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are we all in agreement that Amy Barrett is going to be the nominee? I don't like the sound of this Lagoa from Florida or whatever her name is. She sounds like Roberts...
At least you know Lagoa is an originalist by philosophy and is irrevocably anti-communism. I'm not sure Roberts is either of those things. He's supposedly a "minimalist", which seems to leave him rudderless and to make him unpredictable. This is not to say that Lagoa would be my choice, just that nobody has yet explained to me why I should commence to weeping and gnashing of teeth if she is selected.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Did Barrett really say she would always side with the Pope or something like that?
That sounds like facebook click-bait.
It does but I read it in this thread, not that it means it still isn't clickbait. I'm hoping to see otherwise.
Overblown. Here's the source critics are trying to construe that way -- pardon my laziness as I just quote the prior post.

Let's go to the original arguments. "Catholic Judges in Capital Cases" published 1998. We're talking about pages 305-306, the first two pages of this excerpt. Screenshots below and full doc attached. Source Notre Dame Law.

View attachment 392040 View attachment 392041

I'm not worried about her faith interfering with SCOTUS rulings based on just these two pages.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
No....we need another THOMAS....not a Scalia....

Thomas has been the best, most constitutional justice in well over 100 years.....
While the jurisprudence of Justice Thomas is very popular in some circles, he's not an influential justice. He stands alone and that doesn't get you far on the Court. History will not likely remember him as 'important', at least not by any objective measure.

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
While the jurisprudence of Justice Thomas is very popular in some circles, he's not an influential justice. He stands alone and that doesn't get you far on the Court. History will not likely remember him as 'important', at least not by any objective measure.
Well if there was another one, he wouldn't be standing alone. None of the great names that push liberty are ever known in history. Think about the presidents they teach about in school, all big gov simps. Ron Paul will be completely unknown in terms of history books.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the court flips to be conservative enough,
you never know what penumbra he may discover.

For instance,
he would love to kick out the jams on decades of commerce clause rulings.
When commerce clause rulings go out of style,
he may well be the one to deliver the coup de grace.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which is exactly why we need several more Justice Thomas's who are unwilling to undermine the constitution and our rights to "Get Along" and be "Influential"

My rights arent up for negotiation

Scalia was a douche on a significant number of issues and sold us all out numerous times....

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reservations about ACB as a justice but as a SC pick at this time she is a brilliant choice. When they go full Kavanaugh on her the election fall out will be awesome. House and Senate seats galore. And if they are successful at blocking ACB it will still be a political win for us.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have reservations about ACB as a justice but as a SC pick at this time she is a brilliant choice. When they go full Kavanaugh on her the election fall out will be awesome. House and Senate seats galore. And if they are successful at blocking ACB it will still be a political win for us.
it is a total dem miscalculation.
WHO is the one group of voters that Trump is worried about voting for biden? Soccer moms in the suburbs who do not "like" him. Women too stupid to see thru the media smear job they do on Trump every day.

What will these soccer moms see?
Dems making fun of a hard working career woman.
Dems calling an obviously brilliant jurist woman a lightweight and crazy.
Dems making fun of her adopted children.
Dems refusing to even give this hard working tireless mom a HEARING in the senate!

they will either NOT vote dem, or come over the fence in droves for Trump on november

oh, another thing. soccer moms seeing CNN, NPR, and MSNBC trashing this woman on air. then an hour later the same talking heads trashing trump, the soccer moms will say..."hey wait, if they are so wrong on this working mom....they are probably equally wrong trashing Trump!"

Last edited:

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
WHO is the one group of voters that Trump is worried about voting for biden? Soccer moms in the suburbs who do not "like" him. Women too stupid to see thru the media smear job they do on Trump every day.

Dems refusing to even give this hard working tireless mom a HEARING in the senate!

they will either NOT vote dem, or come over the fence in droves for Trump on november

oh, another thing. soccer moms seeing CNN, NPR, and MSNBC trashing this woman on air. then an hour later the same talking heads trashing trump, the soccer moms will say..."hey wait, if they are so wrong on this working mom....they are probably equally wrong trashing Trump!"
Not sure about that. They are too brainwashed and weak minded to do anything but follow what the Dems say.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure about that. They are too brainwashed and weak minded to do anything but follow what the Dems say.
in a normal year...maybe.
but in coronavirus year, with all this bad JuJu going on?
i bet a number of them are looking at the Dem party and saying WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K???

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Justices don't need to be influential, they need to interpret the law as it was intended to be interpreted. He stands alone because truly principled jurists are rare.
And when a justice stands alone, his or her interpretation of the law doesn't itself become law. Yes, they do need to be influencial. Thomas writes a lot, but usually for himself. Both in dissent and concurrence. That doesn't influence the law. Justices who create majorities and write important decisions that drive the law are important justices. Thomas hasn't done that. He has a very hard time creating majorities. He's got some kooky ideas e.g. the establishment clause doesn't apply to states, abortion = eugenics. Take his McDonald concurrence. He was absolutely right about incorporation via POI. But he couldn't even get Scalia to go along with him! That's not the mark of a justice who leave a lasting mark.

A justice is not great simply because he votes according the the reviewer's preferences. A justice is great h when they write important majority opinions. That's the only objective standard you can use.

BTW, McGirt and Safford v Redding are good example of where Thomas was on the wrong side especially the latter.

Last edited:

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
in a normal year...maybe.
but in coronavirus year, with all this bad JuJu going on?
i bet a number of them are looking at the Dem party and saying WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K???
Id like to agree with you, but a lot of the women in my acquaintance in that soccer mom demograph are so wrapped up in the legality of less desirables killing their unborn children that they will fall in line once abortion is brought up.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when a justice stands alone, his or her interpretation of the law doesn't itself become law. Yes, they do need to be influencial. Thomas writes a lot, but usually for himself. Both in dissent and concurrence. That doesn't influence the law. Justices who create majorities and write important decisions that drive the law are important justices. Thomas hasn't done that. He has a very hard time creating majorities.
How many landmark rulings follow the logic of an earlier dissent?

teamRR

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a lot of moms who hate trump but are devout Christians, or were raised that way and hang on to the concept, and generally see abortion as a questionable thing.

Those moms don't care about LGBT.

Those moms probably don't care that much about abortion either.

But when the main topic becomes that this hard working successful woman judge shouldn't be confirmed because she might not support killing babies or gay adoption, that will not hold water for those voters. It probably still won't help Trump (they hate him more) but could help other Republicans.

Top Bottom