• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Real Estate lease restricting firearms

Is a lease for real estate rental in MA that prohibits firearms on the premises, at least for the renter, as opposed to visitors, legal and enforceable?

Is a lease for real estate rental in MA that prohibits firearms on the premises, at least for the renter, as opposed to visitors, legal and enforceable?
My oldest son is "Mark L" also. (LOL). Download and read the "Standard Form Commercial Lease", "Greater Boston Real Estate Board". Read that. If I can help more, feel free to call me anytime at 978-263-9177. Jack.

How about a lease that prohibits dildos?

How about a lease that prohibits alcohol?

Why is there a carve out for guns?

You can prohibit dildos and smoking. Don't like it? Don't sign the lease.

There are a number of these that the state protects in a legal lease, dildos and guns are not on that list.

There are a number of these that the state protects in a legal lease, dildos and guns are not on that list.
Only the exclusively rich are allowed guns in their leased out penthouse as well as assault dildo's!!

Citation please?

There are a number of these that the state protects in a legal lease, dildos and guns are not on that list.\
Or just be prepared with "I am not causing trouble, stop bothering me or I will exercise every one of my tenant rights while withholding rent"

It would not be criminal but they could use it as you breaking the terms of the lease.
Only way they find out is something bad happens. Example would be a self defense situation or a charge or someone sees you carrying something
At that point you have more important matters to deal with over breaking a lease

(armed)Self defense, you live, you get kicked out of apartment
(unarmed) Self defense, you die, your family cleans out the apartment

It would not be criminal but they could use it as you breaking the terms of the lease.
Only way they find out is something bad happens. Example would be a self defense situation or a charge or someone sees you carrying something
At that point you have more important matters to deal with over breaking a lease

(armed)Self defense, you live, you get kicked out of apartment
(unarmed) Self defense, you die, your family cleans out the apartment
Or they see your safe while fixing the water heater

Or they see your safe while fixing the water heater
Yeah.. I never lived that apartment life so that could be an issue
If they see the safe. What is in the safe? Documents? guns? etc..
They have no right to know what is in the safe

You are not getting charged for possession of a legal firearm in a apartment if the lease does not allow them

I think most people just want to get paid on time with little hassle and they use "standard" documents they print from a google search

Yeah.. I never lived that apartment life so that could be an issue
If they see the safe. What is in the safe? Documents? guns? etc..
They have no right to know what is in the safe

You are not getting charged for possession of a legal firearm in a apartment if the lease does not allow them

I think most people just want to get paid on time with little hassle and they use "standard" documents they print from a google search
I rented for years. Now I own. But a safe is one thing. But we all know how we put stickers on them. Im sure they have an idea by the henry and s&w stickers

I have worked for several multi-family property management companies over the years and the no firearms thing has been on each companies lease. In reality no one really gives a shit, in 30 years I have never seen anyone evicted or non-renewed because of it and I have been in many units with gun safes in plain view. Now if you do a bonehead thing and leave your shotgun on the couch and someone goes in and see's and reports it then yea, your probably gonna have a problem.

That's not exactly true. Just because you put something in a lease doesn't mean it's legal to enforce. At least that's what my lawyer told me when I set up a standard lease for my rentals.

I'm sorry, did you expect a real lawyer? I thought this was a place to speculate wildly.

BTW....I stand by my answer. If you dont like the terms of a lease, don't sign it. This is not discrimination.
In theory, any contract is a negotiated agreement, you can add or remove clauses as you choose, then the prospective landlord can counter.

Many people (including landlords) don't understand this, see leasing as a 'take it or leave it" situation. In a tight housing market, that may be true.

A firearm owner is not a protected class. The Fair Housing Act makes it illegal to harass persons because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, or national origin
Then let them know you are ammosexual, that black guns matter, and worship John MOSES Browning

I read that it is illegal for the government restrict gun in public housing. There was a court case.

I can’t imagine if gun ownership, which is a civil right, be restricted and enforced in a lease.

Back
Top Bottom