• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Real Estate lease restricting firearms

It was a limit on "sporting equipment", a category they explained is applied to guns or reels, golf club...
State farm was in my ear about possibly signing a form "not for commercial purposes" but in the end told me they couldn't figure out how to write the policy. Hard to define that - sure I commercial fish like everyone does who owns a set of 130s, but that's not my living and really none of my gear is primarily for commercial use. The all state guy said, if its not a primary part of your income then don't worry about it, they were just too expensive because their policy was covering far above and beyond what I wanted. All I wanted was at home, fire and theft.
I wonder if Collectibles Insurance would be willing to write a policy for actively-used fishing equipment?

I wonder if Collectibles Insurance would be willing to write a policy for actively-used fishing equipment?

No idea but is something for me to investigate.

There ought to be a way to do it. In the boat it is maybe $400/year for $20,000 in coverage specifically for reels that requires no appraisal, has no limits on theft or manner of the loss (ie literally drop a $2500 setup in the water and its covered). Only rule was the cabin should be locked somehow, ie little padlock. And fishing reels DO often get stolen from boats, happens to someone we know every year.

At home, which is a much lower odds of loss, it's a complete expensive pain in the ass - obviously an area of insurance that isn't well considered so they don't have appropriate policies figured out.

Something like what you mention I wasn't aware of and may be more inline with my needs. Indeed I would be considered a collector.

There is typically a special limit of a few thousand Dollars for loss by theft or mysterious disappearance of firearms however theft is usually the only peril with a specified limit, otherwise firearms are treated like any other personal property if there's a fire, water (non flood) damage, etc. Like regular personal property, if you want the antique/collectible value on the firearms then you need to schedule them on your policy, provide appraisals, etc.

I have never heard of a limit on "sporting equipment" or fishing reels although $20k in reels might be considered commercial? There are endorsements on boat policies to cover equipment specifically used on the boat (we don't do a lot of boat policies) but there's no fishing reel exclusion on a home or renters policy that I'm aware of if it's your personal property stored in your home.
FIFY

Actually, the standard ISO H03 policy does not include mysterious disappearance under Special Limits of Liability. Mysterious Disappearance generally applies to items that are scheduled on a homeowners policy. There are two main H03 versions in use, the H03 04 91 & the H03 10 00. The H03 04 91 version is still more widely in use and includes a $2,000 Loss By theft of Firearms. The H03 10 00 version includes $2,500 Loss By Theft for firearms.

Many carriers offer Increased Limits of Liability on their premium endorsement packages which may include Loss by Theft, Misplacing or Losing and it usually doubles the limit of liability. Some, however, throw in "and related accessories" where there was no such language on the unendorsed policy.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 175748.jpg

at my last Apt. ... there was never anything on the lease regarding firearms: ownership, storage, or upkeep. This was managed by a reputable realtor company; generally speaking you shouldn’t encounter many leases with these kind of bizarre tenets and mandates regardless of realtor/landlord.
My limited experience with renting as a tenant at will in Massachusetts
is that the lease is the Greater Boston Real Estate Board standard lease;
a pirated photocopy made without paying any obvious royalties to GBREB.
Good times, good times.

As I understand it, unreasonable contracts are void.
Yahbut don't hold your breath while you wait for a court to void
a contract as unconscionable just because you think that
it unfairly infringes some civil right whose existence the court denies
all day, every day; and then having denied it, sleeps like a newborn every night.

Yup and if you see the landlord getting rolled after collecting rent you think nah he'll throw me out if I come to his aide with my gun. Side effect is "He can go sh..t in his hat."
The moar polite formulation is,
"why didn't the landlord shoot the mugger
with the landlord's own gun?".

Back
Top Bottom