Realistic looking fake guns have cops worried

With the high end stuff, you definitely need to wear your protective equipment.

My Airsoft guns never left the house when I was young. Of course, I was taught gun safety at age 5 and was an RSO at 14.

Yup....heres a pic...nuff said:
bbdamage2.jpg

An LEO shoots a kid with a BB gun, it's tragic but (to an extent) the risk comes with the job. I don't want to understate the severity of the tragedy, but at least an LEO has some level of training, and the resources and (hopefully) support of his/her department.

What happens if a kid pulls a BB gun on one of us??? Some kid walks up to me and pulls out a gun, points it at me and puts his finger on the trigger, I'm sure as hell not waiting to see if I can read the writing on the slide. And I can see the headlines now:

"Gun Nut Shoots Child With Toy."

Subtitle: "Victim's parents sue as baby killer's home raided. Arsenal including assult rifles, ammunition and explosives cache and ammunition manufacturing equipment confiscated."

Smallprint: "Another missleading and ambiguous headline to follow."

I think that any LEO who shoots a helpless child/teen/adult who is pointing a airsoft/BB/replica gun at them should be entitled to sue said child/teen/adult's family for pain and suffering.

Guns are not toys ................... toys should not be guns.

This is how we feel about it at my house, and my children are avid shooters.

I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.

When I was a kid, I played with everything from popguns to cap guns to nerf guns to airsoft guns to bb guns to pellet rifles to paintball guns. Started on firearms at 5.

It's all about teaching that any gun, no matter if it is a firearm or not, necessitates greater levels of responsibility.

whether a criminal uses a 1911, or a airsoft 1911 in the comission of a crime the intent is the same..and so should the reaction of law enforcement and the subsequent punishment shold they survive said reaction...
and if im right about the law, thats essentially the case now..
so whast the purpose really of all this media flatulence on the issue?
its illegal to rob someone at gunpoint already, real or not..

From my understanding, LEO's trained today have a significant amount more to be concerned with ("is that gun real?", legal issues [more for the dept], absurd media scrutiny and venom from political figureheads). When faced with a dangerous (or perceived) situation, there could possibly be cause for hesitation upon the LEO's actions. There should be no hesitation whatsoever, fake gun or not, the LEO must react accordingly and do what is necessary and not take the extra 3 seconds to identify if that gun is an airsoft or not.

Another thing to mention, is that even if your gun has a fluorescent orange tip, it is still a bad idea to point it at anyone. Gang members in major cities have been known to paint the tips or entire frames of their very real guns. It was explained to me by an LEO I know who specializes in Gang activity that the y do this so it can be left on the seat of a car and to the average sheeple walking by it looks just like their kids toys.

Another thing to mention, is that even if your gun has a fluorescent orange tip, it is still a bad idea to point it at anyone. Gang members in major cities have been known to paint the tips or entire frames of their very real guns. It was explained to me by an LEO I know who specializes in Gang activity that the y do this so it can be left on the seat of a car and to the average sheeple walking by it looks just like their kids toys.

Net result = a few states (CT was one), have tried to pass legislation that would prohibit firearms finished in anything other than traditional finishes/colors (blue, black, nickel, chrome, etc). Some other asshats, wanted to ban refinishing kits/supplies marketed for use on firearms... never mind that a can of day-glo orange spray paint can be bought at any hardware store (with proof of age [thinking]).

Damned if you do... damned if you don't.

You know, that picture of the chrome gun with the pearl grips made me think that "back in the old days", kids didn't point real looking guns at cops. The equipment hasn't changed, just the attitudes. The only reason this is a problem is because we LET it be a problem.

All and all ........ pointing fake guns at real cops is a self correcting problem

Now if we could just educate the media ...............

Back
Top Bottom