• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reamers? Where to get them .

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
Dose any one know any stores around Lowell Tewksbury area that sells reamers?
I want to work on my receiver today and not sure what stores sell them that be open on a Saturday. Normally I'd just order some from msc etc.

Try a fastenall, grainger, or maybe a northern tool/harbor freight kinda store.

It really depends on what size you need, stores don't really have deep stock anymore.

You could try and see if brentwood machine is open in brentwood NH, but again I am not sure if they will have the size you want.

Looking for a 5mm 7mm .
Sucks that my work don't got them.
I was gonna hit up a harbor freight today if I go visit my friend . I checked out a few hardware stores on my way home yesterday on the off chance they'd have them no luck .

Going to need reamers and endmills for my upcoming ak build. Not sure of the sizes off the top of my head, but what are some suppliers to check out?

I know Grainger and Grizzly. What is msc, and any others that are worth checking out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mscdirect.com

They sell every thing you need to run a shop. I think there catalog cost money cause its so big. I just use there online store. There catalog has good info on what type of cutters,taps , reamers endmills etc to use if you know the type of metal.

McMaster.com

They also have the best website search function I have ever used. I never use MSC because finding what you want on their site sucks.

McMaster.com

They also have the best website search function I have ever used. I never use MSC because finding what you want on their site sucks.

I have a personal Mcmaster account, but have been using MSC at work a lot since they are a major account for us. I didn't like them compared to Mcmaster at first, but the sales rep bends over backwards to make us happy, can't really beat that. he took like $200 off a pelican case because I found it cheaper online, and that was after our business discount.

Last edited:
I sometimes order stuff from Victornet.com in Brooklyn, NY. Usually here in two days by ground. Cheaper prices too.

Malodave

Thanks for the replies. It funny how metal reamers your almost stuck ordering .
I could go buy wooden ones pretty easily .

Ak builder has a good price for the set, just not sure if there just plain tool steel.
I might just order a set of TiAn(forget if that's the coating I'm thinking of) so the'll last a little longer so I can loan then out like I do with my other ak and ar build tools.

Yeah I have the bolt cutter tool for small rivets . The long rivets I just did the vise and hammer trick. I also got the trigger guard tool, I'm buying the threaded rod press for the barrel .
Check out tooth tools..

I forget the guy I leant my tools to this week sn but he did a 74 with them . I think I'll get them back next weekend or maybe this week if I meet up with him.
I can lend them to you or help out etc.
Rules you break it you buy me a new one.

If you want to give me beer for the favor I won't say no tho lol .

Last edited:
Yeah I have the bolt cutter tool for small rivets . The long rivets I just did the vise and hammer trick. I also got the trigger guard tool, I'm buying the threaded rod press for the barrel .
Check out tooth tools..

I forget the guy I leant my tools to this week sn but he did a 74 with them . I think I'll get them back next weekend or maybe this week if I meet up with him.
I can lend them to you or help out etc.
Rules you break it you buy me a new one.

If you want to give me beer for the favor I won't say no tho lol .

How do you like the Toth tools? any concerns or problems? That's the same list I am ordering next week. I am getting a couple spare plates too so the rivet heads will be rounded when I use the bench vise, or at least I hope it works that way.

I like them . I bought them since I wasn't a cool kid and didn't know any of the ak builders and didn't want to be waiting for a build party. Lol yeah I've been waiting 6 months on my psl barrel now sigh lol.

I bought the trigger guard tool by mistake. My psl receiver had that done already . I wanted the long rivet tool. But I'll be using it on my ak54r I'm working on so it's not a waste.
The person I let borrow last week , rivets came out good.

I havnt had todo a center support rivet yet so I might buy it any way.
But the way way I did the long rivets was pretty easy if you have a good vice.
I took two 3/4 round bar chunks of steel 1/2 inch thick and put a round spot in the center the size of the rivet head.
Then I got them good and hot and tossed them in oil . Used one on the preformed head and started to Crush the rivet in a vice . Then I put the other chunk on the rivet and a breaker bar on the vice and tighten some more to form the rivet head .

An air hammer works real goog on the long rivets. Modify the punch with an endmill. You don't need a lot of pressure. Just roll the tool around the rivet after you set it. Will look like factory when done. Best thing is if the rivet starts to go sideways you can move it back with the air hammer method.

That is why I am getting the spare backer plates, already formed and hardened. I think it is like $12 for two of them. Cheap enough that I will pay rather than make. I have two kits to build. So far!

I don't have a big enough compressor to run an air hammer. My bench vise will have enough sack to crush the rivets.

Back
Top Bottom