• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasonable* brake for 10” scar 16

Frannyw

NES Member
Just got my stamp to sbr my scar. What are your thoughts on a reasonable muzzle brake without blowing my earmuffs off? In MA so flash hider is out, has to be pinned so trying to make the right choice once. I’m thinking a SureFire break with a warden indoors or around people at the club? Input much appreciated

Last edited:
I have tried my share of brakes, and this was by far the best:

VG6 GAMMA 556

No brake is exactly easy on the ears. If you see anyone with the cookie cutter brake, RUN! Those things are wicked loud. That's why I'll put one on my 300 BLK build, LOL.

I like the stock muzzle device on the scars, but that is just me...

They are "fun" to pin given how hard the steel is.
That’s what I currently have on it @ 16” easier on myself and everyone around me compared to the lantac on my ar. Fortunately I didn’t have to pin it myself

I have tried my share of brakes, and this was by far the best:

VG6 GAMMA 556

No brake is exactly easy on the ears. If you see anyone with the cookie cutter brake, RUN! Those things are wicked loud. That's why I'll put one on my 300 BLK build, LOL.
Hadn’t come across that im going to look into it more. Short, slim, looks like all the blast diverts to the sides.

In MA so flash hider is out, has to be pinned so trying to make the right choice once

Does it though? pulling from the pinned FAQ, there is an argument for either interpretation

Short Barrel Rifles

Does the Assault Weapons Ban still apply to SBRs?

Maybe. I'll try to present both sides of the argument.

The AWB does effect SBRs in MA argument: The MA AWB, just like the Federal one, effects "semiautomatic rifles" without any regard to barrel length and does effect SBRs. The MA AWB is at 140 MGL 121. The section of the Federal AWB that applies to rifles is 18 USC 921(a)(30)(B).

The AWB does not effect SBRs in MA argument: The problem with Massachusetts law is that it's poorly written. The MA AWB states, in part "“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994". If you go read all of 18 USC 921(a)(30), it does define assault weapons, but does not define the term "rifle". Why does that matter? Because the MA law specifically references ONLY that part of the federal law, and not the federal definition of a "rifle". Therefore, we must use the Massachusetts definition of a rifle, from 140 MGL 121. The definition in Massachusetts law states that a rifle must have a barrel equal to or greater than 16 inches in length. Because your SBR, by definition, has a barrel less then 16 inches, it can't be a rifle under Massachusetts law, and can't be an assault weapon using the specific section of the Federal ban referred to by Massachusetts law.

why do you want a compensator on a short barrel 223? that would be miserable to shoot. the bullet does not achieve much velocity anyway so it's not like we're runnig magnified optics and want to preserve sight picture. it's just blasting gas all over.

i would go with a linear compensator like troy claymore or kaw valley. you want something that diverts the gas forward so that you won't need an antiemetic to shoot the thing.

why do you want a compensator on a short barrel 223? that would be miserable to shoot. the bullet does not achieve much velocity anyway so it's not like we're runnig magnified optics and want to preserve sight picture. it's just blasting gas all over.

i would go with a linear compensator like troy claymore or kaw valley. you want something that diverts the gas forward so that you won't need an antiemetic to shoot the thing.
Well that’s just it, I don’t want to run a comp. don’t want concussion/gas in the face. kind of why I thought about the warden. I’d love to just throw a fh on there and call it a day. Just looked at the kaw valley, looks like it fits the bill. Slim with a forward blast. Hadn’t seen that before either

Does it though? pulling from the pinned FAQ, there is an argument for either interpretation
Ive seen that. is there any case law out there? I’d hate to be the test. In ma an ffl can’t sell and sbr since it’s not considered a “rifle” and is then subject to the approved roster so I guess that does help the argument that it can’t be an aw. Trying to air on the side of caution

i'm a fan of the claymore. my only complaint is that it can tear up a range bag due to the little spikes on the tip. however those spikes are somewhat functional since they act as a breeching device so if shooting up a against a barrier it will allow the gas to vent laterally. the kaw valley is flat so has no such provision. however the kaw valley looks cleaner and won't rape the inside of a nice range bag.

there are some other linear comps out there that may tickle your feather. just make sure they're made from good steel. some of them are aluminum which is essentially disposable. linear comps all do the same thing: push the gas forward and away from shoot. i really can't imagine that one would be much better than the other. i've found them all similar. in 223 they're great. the only real limitation is in heavier projectiles where the rearward thrust becomes noticeable. in 223 it's nada.

Ive seen that. is there any case law out there? I’d hate to be the test. In ma an ffl can’t sell and sbr since it’s not considered a “rifle” and is then subject to the approved roster so I guess that does help the argument that it can’t be an aw. Trying to air on the side of caution
Correct, a SBR in MA is considered a "firearm" which is also what a handgun/pistol are considered and subject to "the list" and also CMR 940.16 AG crap. The MA AWB is a direct copy of 9/13/94 federal AWB. So since it is not a "rifle" can the federal rifle AWB apply? Since it is not a rifle, does the federal pistol AWB apply (that would be ugly). It is a morass. I am exempt, so my opinions are worth what you pay for them. I would not build an SBR in a non rifle compliant AWB configuration, but that is me.

i'm a fan of the claymore. my only complaint is that it can tear up a range bag due to the little spikes on the tip. however those spikes are somewhat functional since they act as a breeching device so if shooting up a against a barrier it will allow the gas to vent laterally. the kaw valley is flat so has no such provision. however the kaw valley looks cleaner and won't rape the inside of a nice range bag.

there are some other linear comps out there that may tickle your feather. just make sure they're made from good steel. some of them are aluminum which is essentially disposable. linear comps all do the same thing: push the gas forward and away from shoot. i really can't imagine that one would be much better than the other. i've found them all similar. in 223 they're great. the only real limitation is in heavier projectiles where the rearward thrust becomes noticeable. in 223 it's nada.
In searching I found a few I think look pretty nice. The v seven Helios and kaw valley look the best so far

Correct, a SBR in MA is considered a "firearm" which is also what a handgun/pistol are considered and subject to "the list" and also CMR 940.16 AG crap. The MA AWB is a direct copy of 9/13/94 federal AWB. So since it is not a "rifle" can the federal rifle AWB apply? Since it is not a rifle, does the federal pistol AWB apply (that would be ugly). It is a morass. I am exempt, so my opinions are worth what you pay for them. I would not build an SBR in a non rifle compliant AWB configuration, but that is me.
I agree that’s how I’m looking at it

To your question, a Warcomp with a Wardon is probably the least worst way to go about what you are talking about.

Who is chopping your barrel?

Also, don't pin a 10" SCAR, that makes Jesus cry.
To your question, a Warcomp with a Wardon is probably the least worst way to go about what you are talking about.
I’m just going to buy the factory 10” and the. Worry about chopping the 16 down later as a spare. Lol yea he’s going to shed a tear, sucks. Won’t be able to use the WarComp as it’s a flash hider.

In fact, I do, and it will likely save you a pile of money if you can wait a little longer. Local guys to me, good dudes, but VERY busy.

PMM SCAR Machine Services

But for real, don't pin that shorty.
That would be my first choice. Pmm is awesome I have all their rails, qd mounts, safety selectors etc on it right now.

Any suggestions for barrel chop?

Just buy the factory 10 inch barrel assembly from Brownell's or another vendor. It comes with a great muzzle device. There may be times you want to have the 16 inch if you want to shoot out a little longer.

Just buy the factory 10 inch barrel assembly from Brownell's or another vendor. It comes with a great muzzle device. There may be times you want to have the 16 inch if you want to shoot out a little longer.

Yeah and it's $1,000. I know SCAR guys like to light money on fire, but that is crazy when there is a local guy that can cut the 16" for 1/5 of the cost.

That’s what I’m thinking, also I can throw the 16” on there and travel out of state without permission

Back
Top Bottom